U Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VClovesteeth05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have anything to say about UMICH? I am interested in how good it is, how it rates, clinics, and what not? I found the website not to helpful!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yea this is something i wonder as well, it looks pretty cool but havent heard much. can anyone comment on board scores? competition? friendlyness? blah blah blah

thanks people

I interviewed at Michigan last year and was accepted, but I chose not to attend. They make no secret about emphasizing that they will refer most of the difficult cases to the PGY students (i.e. maxillary molar root canals, wizzies, etc.). There simlab looked pretty modern. The students and faculty were friendly. They get A LOT of money to do research, and so they bragged about the plethora of opportunities to be involved in research while you are there. In fact, if I remember right, you have to do some type of research project. Their curriculum is slightly different than other schools in the way they organize the material. I don't remember all the details, but it seems like subjects were broken up into modules. Lastly, you won't get into the clinic until the end of your second year. For a price tag of $35,000/yr for out-of-staters, and because they have one of the highest costs-of-living in the country, I turned them down for a more clinically oriented school at about the same price.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, and how do you like pacific? because that's another school i am seriously considering....i can't lie 3 years is a nice perk.

I'm currently enrolled at Umich and java doesnt have everthign right....you are not required to do a research project at all, and you get in the clinics your first year-asssiting- and active patient care the first day you walk in 2nd year...The campus life is great and the school is very clinically oriented although if you want to get in to research it has a lot to offer.