U of Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jubears09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone here familiar with the program/region mind sharing their impressions of the UC neurology residency? Specifically I'm interested in knowing

1) Reputation of the program, both related to other programs in the city (RUSH and NU especially) and in the field as a whole
2) Quality of clinical training
3) Pt population compared to other programs in the area
4) Areas of research they are best known for
5) What do you think about the ability to go into an academic/research based career from here

I had a wonderful interview experience but there's only so much an outsider can learn/trust an impression based on one day... especially given a search on previous UC related threads on these forums bring up some concerning results (unfilled spots, mixed reports on prestige, etc...) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a fair amount of the faculty at NMH and Rush and they are first rate. I don't really know anyone at U of C, not sure why. The new chair at Northwestern is from MGH, and is very academically-oriented. Rush has built an outstanding clinical faculty over the last 10 years or so. I'm sure you can get good clinical training at U of C, but I wouldn't rank it above the other two. The patient population is a mix of old rich Hyde Park, and the much less well-off population of southern Chicago.

Would someone here familiar with the program/region mind sharing their impressions of the UC neurology residency? Specifically I'm interested in knowing

1) Reputation of the program, both related to other programs in the city (RUSH and NU especially) and in the field as a whole
2) Quality of clinical training
3) Pt population compared to other programs in the area
4) Areas of research they are best known for
5) What do you think about the ability to go into an academic/research based career from here

I had a wonderful interview experience but there's only so much an outsider can learn/trust an impression based on one day... especially given a search on previous UC related threads on these forums bring up some concerning results (unfilled spots, mixed reports on prestige, etc...) Thanks!

I rotated at U of C but did not interview there. My impression of the program being there was that it seemed to be a quality clinical training and every single attending that I rotated with was an excellent teacher that enjoyed having students and residents. The patient population was exactly what typhoonegator described. The residents were nice but personally, I did not feel as if I would fit in well with them. Research is a pretty big part of the training program and from the attendings I rotated with, it seemed like most of them were working on something, this included movement disorders, MS, and epilepsy (the areas I rotated through). Typoonegator is also right in that it is regarded as being the 3rd best in chicago, behind NW and Rush. I hope that helps.

Things must not change from year to year. I did not get a friendly vibe from the chiefs. Most of the residents are IMGs or DOs and don’t seem happy. Seems like the ICU is a mess with all the trauma and a resident doing all the work.