U of Minnesota, U of Missouri, UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WIPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm interested in the U of Minnesota, U of Missouri, UW-Madison, and UW-Milwaukee. I haven't seen these schools in any of the threads so far and just wanted to find out some information from those of you who may know anything about these schools. Any info would be very helpful (quality of program, faculty, facilities, campus, cost of living, etc.). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm interested in the U of Minnesota, U of Missouri, UW-Madison, and UW-Milwaukee. I haven't seen these schools in any of the threads so far and just wanted to find out some information from those of you who may know anything about these schools. Any info would be very helpful (quality of program, faculty, facilities, campus, cost of living, etc.). Thanks!

I'm a PT1 at UW-Madison. I too was in the same boat as you were in less than a year ago. I was accepted to UW, but knew very little about the program. Here's a brief lowdown......

Program and Faculty
The curriculum is similar to the majority of other PT programs out there. First year is pretty much your basic sciences (gross anatomy, neuro, kinesiology/biomechanics) as well as some introductory courses in PT (anatomical applications, clinical medicine, research literature, documentation/evaluation type class). Additionally, we have a two week internship early second semester to get our feet wet.
Second year is spent taking what we learned in the first year and applying it to clinical situations.......neuro, ortho, peds.
Third year is spent exclusively on four eight-week clinicals.
The faculty's top-notch. Amazingly, every one of them is approachable, and they all have the students' best interest in mind. They really want us to succeed, and will do anything they can for it to happen. Additionally,there are a slew of research projects going on within the department, the med school and engineering school that PT students can get involved in.

Facilities
The facilities where our classes are held are older but very well maintained. They're definitely not on par with a program such as USC. Many of the research facilities are located outside the building where our classes are held and are state of the art.......med school, medical clinics, biomedical engineering dept. Being a part of the medical school, we have similar resources available to those in the MD program......definitely a plus!

Madison
I came to school here after living in LA for 17 years (going back afterwards). Madison's an awesome town.......only place in the state I'd live in. There's quite a bit of diversity and tons of things to do. if you're a sports fan, you can't beat being a student here........football, basketball, hockey! Also, if you live a healthy, active lifestyle, chances are you'd enjoy the city. Two of my favorite things to do, at least during the warmer months, are cycling and going to the numerous farmer's markets in the area. The cost of living is also very reasonable, especially if you're coming from a big city. Can easily get a nice studio/one bedroom for $500-600/month.

Anyway, that's kind of a brief lowdown on UW and Madison. I can't comment on the other schools you listed, but I can give you a comparison to a few private schools that I chose UW over. Don't know if you're a WI resident or have reciprocity. if you are, you cannot beat the price!

I too haven't seen much about these schools on this site. I have chosen to attend UMN in summer 2011. I live in oregon, and we only have a private school. They offered me the possibility of an out-of-state tuition waver which covers the difference compared to an in-state student. $60K-ish vs $90K-ish is a big deal. Since it goes off fafsa and I'm pretty poor I should hopefully get it.

So if your out-of-state that's a big deal. From what I've researched about UMN they're a pretty top school. Almost always 100% pass rate on the NPTE, ranked in the top 20 in the nation, and have a somewhat strong neuro component to their school, which I found attractive. You have three big internships with them apparently, one inpatient, one outpatient, and one neuro rehab. With some of the worlds best hospitals in that part of the country, I bet I'll get to see some cool things.

I've spent some time in Minneapolis in the past as well. Both the city and school is huge. I grew up in San Diego, so I enjoy the city life. The biggest downside to me is the blistering cold...

It even killed the metrodome for heavens sake!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my undergraduate degree from Madison and also completed my pre-requisites for PT when I decided on a career change three years ago. Madison is a great city and the school is phenomenal. I have had limited exposure to the faculty in the PT program, but from that, I can say that they are enthusiastic about what they do and very much want to help their students succeed.

I applied to UW Milwaukee in the past, and can't say much about their program in particular, but my contacts as an applicant have been less than favorable. I have shown up to appointments with the director and she wasn't there, have had scheduled phone appointments (again where the appointed party didn't answer at our scheduled time and then didn't bother to check voicemail to see that I had actually called on time), shown up to their Open House only to find out that all the professors were in meetings...... I can't say much about their level of organization, so I'm assuming it impacts their program (but I hope not).

I am attending UW La Crosse and have had nothing but great interactions with their faculty and staff.

I've been accepted to UW-LaCrosse and UW-Milwaukee and I'm finishing up my undergrad at UWL so I know the city and school pretty well. I know UW-Milwaukee and UWL's programs are affiliated and I know UWM had a 100% first-time pass rate on the NPTE, I just don't know much about its PT program other than that. As for Madison, I've spent a lot of time in the city and it's a great city, but again, I just don't know much about the PT program. U of Missouri and U of Minnesota are still pretty unfamiliar to me, but I've heard good things about the U of Minnesota. A friend of mine had an interview at the U of Missouri and said the campus was incredible, but I know nothing about the PT program there. Thanks for all the info everyone!

If anyone else has any info about these schools, feel free to post!