U of MN or U of SoCal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chang242

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been pulling my hair out with this. :scared: I can't decide which I want to go to--USC of U of M. They were both my top choices--which is why I didn't expect getting into BOTH.

My reasons for MN--great school, I'm going to undergrad here so I know the system, profs, area, etc. And I've lived in MN since elementary school.

However, my family is moving to CA this summer (sister is starting undergrad and got into a CA school). So, drawback is that I'll have no family here at all.

Main reason for my hesitation toward USC is that so far they seem so backward and unorganized compared to the U of MN (I mean, come one...who uses fax anymore for documentation?). Again, maybe it's just because I've gotten used to the flow of things at the U, but that's the huge reason I am hesitating. But, the second I think of another 7-month long winter with 50 below weather and no family, I sway toward USC.

Argh! I need some help from fellow pre-pharmacy students. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel. How expensive is it to go to UM? That can be a big factor as well since USC can be very expensive. Also, if you go to USC, can you stay at your family's home or are they gonna be far away and you need to drive there in the weekend ?

I have no clue about USC, but I'm sure there are others that do know. I think U of M has a great program. Their emphasis on pharmaceutical care is big for me (they wrote the book on it, literally). They have you interviewing patients within the first week or so, which gets you used to interacting with patients and developing a rapport with them. There are also a ton on research opportunities here and in the Twin Cities as well. I'm in your boat. I did undergraduate, grad school, and now pharmacy school at the U.

That sucks about your family. I would imagine that makes things complicated. Good luck with your decision. I hope to see you in the fall at U of M!! Message me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMN is a LOT cheaper compared to USC. (Per year it'd be 20K vs 50K) I'd be in-state at a public institution in the midwest versus at a private institution in CA. My relatives live about 40 min away from USC--parents are gonna live up in NorCal. But, I've decided to live in an apt near/on campus.

Yeah, the U has tons of research opportunities. I actually did some directed research with a pharm prof here at the U. But USC has soooooo many connections and, I'm not sure how it compares with the U, but USC bragged a lot about how easy it would be to get a job if the employer knew you were from USC. I would also like to settle down in CA in the end, so going to school there would make things a lot simpler--CA has its own pharmacy licensure exam that doesn't carry over to other states plus the laws would be more ingrained.

UMN, end of discussion.

This should be a no brainer. USC.

Southern California >>>>>>>>> everywhere else

I graduated from USC. PM me if you have any questions.

Go to University of Minnesota. It's not like you're going to be living near your parents anyway so save yourself the 120k in tuition and go to the cheaper school.

The cost of living in CA is way higher than MN too.

The weather is crap here in MN, but you already know that. ;)

The weather is crap here in MN, but you already know that. ;)

Lived in MN my whole life (until now). The weather really isn't that bad, people just like to complain. Plus, the weather in summer is, often times, very excellent. You'll be busy with class when the weather is gross. Then, when you have spare time in the summer, you'll be in the great north with ample opportunities to go fishing, camping, etc. (you know, the finer things in life)!

Rankings +
tuition +
cost of living +
Mayo +
No. of Pharm Schools in the State vs. No. of people =

UMN, ftw.