U of Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsavrey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have heard that Pitt has an excellent MPH program. It is ranked relatively high and the website seems really good. Is there anyone out there who knows more about this school or who is currently attending for an MPH degree or others?

Thanks!:hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone at all going to go to or are currently attending U of Pitt public health school?

Thanks in advance!

My mom went to Pitt for her MPH in child and maternal health way back in the day and loved it. Pitt seems to be one of those schools where the SPH has a much better rep than the school as a whole.

I've also been accepted to Pitt, but decided against it for 2 main reasons. First, they have zero funding for masters students and their out of state tuition is higher than Emory (to which I was also accepted). Second, I'm interested in infectious disease epi and they don't have many classes in this area. So, I'm currently deciding between Michigan and Emory, though leaning toward Emory (and still waiting to hear from Columbia).

That all being said, Pittsburgh is a great city (significantly cheaper than NYC, Boston, etc., but still with a lot going on). The school has a great rep, and I'm sure you'd get a great education there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my MPH in epidemiology from univ. of pittsburgh.

What exactly are you interested in doing? and what is your background? I have come to find that these things make a difference.

Give some more details, and I will speak to the specifics rather than making generalizations that do not always apply

Hi, thx for helping. I am interested in the epidemiology of infectious diseases. I have a MD from foreign country and 2-year biology lab experience.
I got the acceptance from the dept of IDM of pitts, concentrating in Community and Behavioral Intervention. But currently no funding and you know the tuition is very high. The coordinator suggests me to contact with faculty to look for TA or RA position. I hope I can get one.

I know pitt has a great reputation in public health area and really wanna go. However my final goal is to obtain the PHD or DrPH. Is it difficulte for me to get the PHD acceptance after the MPH? And how long does it usually take to complete the PHD in the case I alreadly hold an MPH from the same department? Thx

I just finished my MPH in epidemiology from univ. of pittsburgh.

What exactly are you interested in doing? and what is your background? I have come to find that these things make a difference.

Give some more details, and I will speak to the specifics rather than making generalizations that do not always apply

Hello ddprev,

Thank you for your help. I am currently working in science. I have a job culturing human embryonic stem cells but I am looking for another career path. I applied for the joint degree with the master of International Development with the International Affairs school at Pitt, this is under the Behavior and Community Public Health concentration. I am really interested in working for or consulting for an organization concerned with the health and well being of women and children from traditionally patriarchal societies immigrating to the US. This may sound a little complicated but I would like to blend health and well-being with feminist activism, hence the dual degree.