U.S. GPA = Canadian GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....I just wanted to clarify something. Ive done all of my schooling in Canada, and Ive heard that the Canadian GPA scale is slightly different than the US scale. I just wanted to confirm this. This is the scale we use at the University of Toronto:

Percentage Grade Value Grade Definitions

90 - 100 A+ 4.0

85 - 89 A 4.0

80 - 84 A- 3.7

77 - 79 B+ 3.3

73 - 76 B 3.0

70 - 72 B- 2.7

67 - 69 C+ 2.3

63 - 66 C 2.0

60 - 62 C- 1.7

57 - 59 D+ 1.3

53 - 56 D 1.0

50 - 52 D- 0.7

0 . 49 F 0.0

Members don't see this ad.

hi...although some people say that the gpa conversion is different, my experience was different. my canadian gpa is 85% and AADAS (sorry may be wrong spelling) converts it to gpa of 3.85.

there are some people who said that an 80% in USA is some value below 3.5, but apparently that's not the case for me as their conversion for me as shown.

Here's what it is at my university. I think its pretty standard in the US.

A+ 100%
A 93-99
A- 90-92
B+ 88-89
B 83-88
B- 80-82
C+ 78-79
C 73-78
C- 70-72
D 60-69
F <60

Members don't see this ad :)
That really sucks for me, because at the University of Toronto, the average for a class is usually C+ in our standards which is equal to a D for you American guys. Do your classes usually have a D average? Ive heard from Americans that Canadian universities are much much harder! SO does that mean all of my marks will be much lower than a US candidate, cause AADSAS doesnt attribute to the different standards of GPA scale?? :(

Hey avingupta...

As a Canadian who attended a Canadian university, I know what you're going through. And yes...there is a very very good chance that your gpa will be lower for AADSAS than it would be at UofT. Converting grades is a pain, and I'm glad that I never have to deal with AADSAS again.

On the brighter side, US schools take a closer look at other things you have to offer besides gpa and DAT. Such things as reference letters, personal statement, etc. UofT is only gpa, DAT and interview, which is very limiting.

Just remember not to make assumptions about if or if not you have a chance. Just go for it, and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck !

Me again....

What I also wanted to add, is that US dental schools are very 'open' to Canadians considering that they do accept the Canadian DAT :)

Hot-n-Aml

WHy are Canadian schools admissions harder? The average gpa for US is 3.3ish, the average of Canada is higher I believe. What's going on?

Its hard to get into canada because the class sizes are so small. University of Alberta has only 32 seats or so. Also, universities are subsidized by the canadian govt. This makes tuition around 12-15 thousand canadian. Super cheap education means high competition.

There are no more than 10 dental schools across Canada and two are exclusively French. We also don't have more than 100 people in any given class- in fact I believe the biggest class is 50-60 or so at University of Toronto (I might be wrong)

if each Canadian school graduates dentists by the hundreds like they do down south, we'll all be out of a job pretty soon because of supersaturation.

*just for interest, there's only english 1 optometry school in the entire canada

McGill DMD 2007

Remember, our population is only about 35 million...However, a lot of that 35 million are very educated, but there are not enough jobs/graduate schools to handle all of them....hence the large amount of people that look elsewhere for graduate studies.

Originally posted by LestatZinnie
- in fact I believe the biggest class is 50-60 or so at University of Toronto (I might be wrong)

if each Canadian school graduates dentists by the hundreds like they do down south, we'll all be out of a job pretty soon because of supersaturation.

McGill DMD 2007

Actually, the biggest class in Canada is University of Montreal with 85 students/year.

thx for the info....

you quebecois have it very nice- low tuition, 2 big universities exclusively just for you guys with no anglophone competition....

that's why i'm here at mcgill taking advantage of the low tuition......then getting the heck out as soon as i'm done!!!

Hey Guys,

Actually, when I applied to AADSAS, I put my grades as it is.... for example if I got %84, usually at UBC ( vancouver) is equivalent to A- but when I saw the conversion at the AADSAS it goes down to B I think... anyways, I found that all my grades were getting lower so what I did, I put the grades as it is so if I got A, just put it as am A and not convert the actual grade...
Then when I got the evaluation from the AADSAS, it was about the same, therer were no changes....
I think converting an %85 from a school in California is different than converting the grade from a Canandian school!!

Good luck Guys
:clap:

hey my fellow canadian....could you repeat what you said about the Canadian GPA? Did that mean you resubmitted your marks?? Cause I have a lot of A- grades, and if they are gonna be B's, im screwed....so how did you change them to put them as A's???

80% for an A?!? I got ripped off:laugh:

Getting an 80 at a canadian university is about the same difficulty as getting a 93 at a US (or at least marquette)!

When I applied through Addsas I had around an 86% from UWO, and I was told to use the canadian scale ( 80 - A, 70 - B) in my application. I think I had around a 3.7 - 3.8 gpa.

Most US schools around the Great lakes are aware of the different scales - If you are canadian applying to the US I would stick to schools like NYU, Case Western, Marquette - because they are familiar with Canadian Students.

Dr. Rob, have u already applied? If so, did you get your GPA from AADSAS? DO you know what sallyubc is talking about? Im worried! :confused:

I think Dr. Rob has already applied, many years ago. He is a practicing dentist. :)

My school also has a larger number of Canadians. I think 19 out of 78 of my classmates are from Canada.