U.S. News 2013 rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opto2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Members don't see this ad :)
I know pharmacy has its share of problems too, but I believe that it really does make more sense as a profession. Wish I had gone that route instead.

I also think that I remember it being ranked high last year, but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link?

These rankings are complete nonsense. The people who assemble these things have no idea what they're talking about. It's all based on data that have little to do with the true state of the professions. Optometry has been in the top USNews rankings for professions several times over the past decade. It means nothing. Don't rely on these ridiculous articles. Go talk to some ODs and do your own research.

Well, guess that cheque bounced:scared::smuggrin::laugh::laugh:

With some real research one can decide for themselves if optometry is for you.

These rankings are complete nonsense. The people who assemble these things have no idea what they're talking about. It's all based on data that have little to do with the true state of the professions. Optometry has been in the top USNews rankings for professions several times over the past decade. It means nothing. Don't rely on these ridiculous articles. Go talk to some ODs and do your own research.

Agreed. Pay no attention to USN rankings. Physician Assistants do not appear on that list either and being a PA/NP is definitely desirable in healthcare. We had a grand rounds presentation a few years ago on the data that is used by USN to rank hospitals for various specialties; it was completely bogus! You would think they used data such as patient outcomes, cost for diagnosis etc. in their calculations but they actually use random polls. The presenter even pointed out that for a particular year, a hospital named in the top 10 for neurosurgery, did not have a neurosurgery department!

I know pharmacy has its share of problems too, but I believe that it really does make more sense as a profession. Wish I had gone that route instead.

No way. From your posts and the readings of the pre-op & opt forums here at SDN, I would say pharmacy and optometry are both in a bad state right now. Neither are doing well. :)