U Tennessee Info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takkat198

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any info, thoughts, opinions, etc. on the AuD program at U Tennessee in Knoxville? Of all the places I applied, this is the only area I have not visited at all. I'd like to visit, but probably won't be able to until the end of March.

I would appreciate any insight at all about the University, the department, and/or the Knoxville area.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The program can offer experience in pretty much all aspects of audiology. They have their own rotary chair and vestibular department, they work closely with Child Hearing Services which allows you CI experience and they are very clinically driven. The department has an excellent working relationship with the surrounding area so everyone gets tons of off-site clinical experience. The professors were easy going and relaxed when I was there and they defiantly know their stuff. You will be in clinic your first week at UTHSC - Knoxville. I had no problem securing a 4th year externship at the location of my choice, paid, and they hired me on at the end of my externship. I graduated from there in 2012 and am very happy with the education I received.

Knoxville has a "big" small town feeling to it, it's no big city, limited or no museums and/or real art centers if I recall correctly, but they do have a small downtown with nice restaurants. Cost of living is very reasonable. the Smoky mountains are near by if you're into hiking. FYI: the city ebbs and flows with football season. Oh and did I mention the department is actually located in the Football stadium...:cool:Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the response! I'm glad to hear such positive feedback from a former student. The dept in the stadium... That's a different concept!

Congrats on your fairly recent completion of the program. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also recently accepted to UT-Knoxville and I was curious what kind of financial assistance/scholarships were offered by the program. I would be attending as an in-state resident.

When I visited, one of the professors I spoke with made it a point that the program was "very expensive". She didn't make the financial assistance situation seem very positive. Any response is much appreciated!

I'm interested in that as well! The program website states that they offer some GAs, and my acceptance email said that the scholarships and awards committee would be making decisions in the "very near future." Do they inform you if you do NOT get a GA? Is it appropriate to contact the department to ask when decisions will likely be made?

I'm in the same boat! I don't think it would be inappropriate to ask the department...after all, we only have so much time to make our decisions. If anyone finds out anything, would y'all mind posting on here?

So, I bit the bullet and contacted the dept. I was told that the awards committee met this week, and should be reaching out to students soon. Good luck! :scared:
Anybody planning on attending UTHSC regardless of funding offered?

Did everybody receive the 'update' email? Has anyone been offered funding?

Has anyone heard anything specifically about scholarships for UT, besides that sketchy email they sent out from the automated mailing system with no sender saying they had made decisions?

Nothing other than the email...the wait is killing me!

Seriously!! Nothing yet. I wish they'd let us know if we're denied or waitlisted for $, at the least.

It seems like no one has heard yet, but I figured they would have contacted us by now since they told us they've made their decisions? Seems weird. I'm waiting as well, figured if I hadn't heard this week it was a no - but now with so many people still waiting maybe there's a chance? Congrats and good luck to all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nada. Three other girls in my cohort also go in and no one's heard anything.

Well then I guess no news is good news as of now! Have any of y'all who've been accepted have any thoughts on the program? I haven't had a chance to visit yet and want some input from a potential students perspective! Did y'all like the visitation days/open house?

Got an email today for a $2000 scholarship! (Check your spam folders, btw.) I'm out of state, so it's not quite enough to make my decision for me...

Anybody else hear anything?

Eeeek. That's quite meager. Who sent you the offer? I just emailed the head of the department to inquire about my eligibility. Hopefully, I'll hear something back today!

Yeah, it doesn't make much of a dent in a $39,000 annual tuition, unfortunately! I got an email from an associate chair of the department.

Did you get any response to your email?

I haven't gotten anything yet...not a good sign. Oh well, I've gotten a pretty awesome financial assistance offer from another school! So even if I hear from UT, I doubt it will even come close to matching...

That's great-- congrats! I've gotten no other financial offers, although I've been accepted at all but one school. Somehow I ended up I a middle zone, or applied to the wrong places! Definitely super excited nonetheless :)

takkat198 - did you accept the offer? I was offered an assistantship as well! What are your thoughts?

Audiogator-- that's great, congrats!! When did you find out about your assistantship?

I haven't received any further offers from them, so I am likely going to decline, due to the cost of tuition.

Only got offered it a few days ago. Unfortunately I will most likely be declining as well. It's my top choice, but without a tuition waiver I'll need to stay in state. The cost is absurd. i don't understand how people can take out $100k in loans for a job that will only pay $60k-ish. I just cant wrap my head around having that much debt.