UAB school of optometry.........IS it the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarsonUABSO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going there this fall, I have always heard that it was.....is it true?

Members don't see this ad.

Who would you consider qualified to even attempt to answer this question?

I see....completely subjective.......however.....graduation and passing boards are, i have recently found out, the highest at UAB.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good, and definitely something you should look at. Not all Optometry schools are created equal, but there are a lot of factors at play when deciding which is best. Different people have different criteria. Also, keep in mind that many Optometry schools have board passage rates in the mid to high 90's.

What is their retention rate of students? So, when the class started out with X amount of students as first years, how many actually ended up taking the boards in 3rd year? Depends if you want to factor that into their scores or not.

yes,i think so,Birmingham's pretty saturated with Optometrists.thank you
JM1IkP

I am going there this fall, I have always heard that it was.....is it true?
I guess I am a little biased, my ten year class reunion is coming up in a couple weeks. I am looking forward to coming back to Birmingham and especially dreamland bbq.
I wouldn't say UAB is the "best"; but certainly it is "one of the best" of the optometry schools.
Our class enjoyed having a small size of 42 and shared courses with other health professions in pathology, medical neuroscience and others. Both aspects were helpful, as well as having several professors teaching from texts that they actually wrote or co-authored was kind of impressive. What I really liked was that on top of that - the cost at the time with in-state tuition that I was fortunate to qualify. I know much has probably changed in a decade; but I bet it's just as great as it was then; especially with new clinics. Trust that you'll be in a great place to learn optometry.

I believe I am qualified to answer this question. UAB is undoubtedly the best optometry school in Alabama.

Why does it matter? and to whom would it matter?
Congrats and Best of luck in the Fall!

I'm not an opto and have never been at the school of opto at UAB, but I've worked at UAB for years as a resident and can say that I've known senior opto students there. They were all very impressive, and the few I knew had greater post-grad options than I did. The ones I knew were all going out and had done the numbers and the per visit$ with all the passive income was very impressive.