UAB versus UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floridaboy18

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the last minute rank advice.

I know that these are both great programs. I want to end up in the southeast eventually most likely. I will probably do academics, but I am not absolutely sure about that. Peds and CT interests currently, though I know I will definitely do a fellowship of some kind for marketability purposes.

Questions:
1. Better name for fellowship purposes?
2. Which would you choose if you liked both cities?
3. General thoughts

I would appreicate any advice what so ever. These are two of my top three choices and want advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Having trained at one program and live right next to the other....

I would choose based on which place you would rather live for a few years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll bite, as a disclaimer I'm not at either program but am pretty familiar with both. All of this is totally a personal opinion so take it or leave it.

UAB by all accounts solid southern program with excellent facilities and well-reputable fellowship programs. Their graduates are absolutely well-respected. Like many (but probably on the more extreme end) they are quite inbred with staff and fellows - pretty tough to break in if you're not already there or at least in the immediate vicinity. Not a lot of diversity in teaching. They often dangle the "extra money in the afternoon" carrot on interviews but from what I've been told it's not as great a deal as you might think. Possibly overrated overall, but it's a strong academic program with the nearest competition being UF, Emory and maybe Mississsippi many hours away.

UVA is by most accounts underrated and often overlooked for some reason by applicants. The residency leadership is very plugged in nationally (they developed OpenAnesthesia) and innovative. I believe their only formal fellowship is in chronic pain - they have the volume for other but specifically do not want to take away from the core program which is the focus, so no competing for experience. No SRNAs in sight. Older facilities for sure, but Charlottesville consistently ranks among the "best places to live" in the country. Has southern charm but is liberal enough for northerners to feel comfortable. I lived there for a long time and it's awesome. Easily the strongest program in the state, but for some reason the Anesthesia program isn't as highly regarded as their other residencies. Not sure as to why.

Two great university-based programs - one has more ties to the Deep South and one more mid-Atlantic if that makes a difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Unsure about UAB as I don't know anyone there but life in Charlottesville is pretty fantastic/easy. Nice long spring and fall which I wasn't used to coming from New England. Fantastic cases here...sick NICU babies and no peds fellows to compete with, heart/lung/liver transplants, big spines/interesting neuro. I've actually had a few decent GSW/MVC traumas. Busy cardiac. Lots of blocks. OB volume is light at UVA but we still easily get numbers. CRNAs do many of the less interesting cases (no sRNAs here). Things can get busy and this is definitely not a home by 3pm every day place but certainly nowhere near as bad as some places. Great network and good placement (100% of people applying for pain just matched). Attendings are invested in teaching and several faculty to the oral/written boards. Please PM if specific questions.

3 things I LOVED about UVA:

1.) No OR fellows so you get the most intense cases. They even have a peds hearts rotation for CA-3.
2.) 6 months of anesthesia in PGY-1/CBY. Pretty Unique.
3.) People were awesome. Chair is hilarious, PD really cares, and the residents were really down to Earth.

Also, they paid for your hotel and get you Coffee the next morning!

50/50 PP vs. Fellowship split.

3 things I LOVED about UVA:

1.) No OR fellows so you get the most intense cases. They even have a peds hearts rotation for CA-3.
2.) 6 months of anesthesia in PGY-1/CBY. Pretty Unique.
3.) People were awesome. Chair is hilarious, PD really cares, and the residents were really down to Earth.

Also, they paid for your hotel and get you Coffee the next morning!

50/50 PP vs. Fellowship split.
Sounds good, except for the CBY. That's to learn medicine, not to play anesthesiologist. But maybe the remaining 6 months are intense enough.

Not sure if Case Mix Index is in contention, but UVA also has the 6th highest one of those in the nation and it really seems like a very strong clinical program. Research is not a huge priority at UVA though and they leave it up to you. I quite liked UVA and will be ranking them in the upper mid tier of my rank list.

the remaining intern rotations are moved into PGY 2

Yeah, UVA isn't the only program that does this. My friends at other such programs weren't exactly thrilled going back to be an intern on general peds wards in the middle of PGY-2 year. So I agree with FFP, maybe a drawback to the program.

Reactions: 1 user
By the time they start the CA-2 (PGY3) year, UVA Categorical program residents end up with 2 more months of intraoperative anesthesia training (i.e. 2 fewer months of internal medicine wards, etc) than the Advanced program residents.

Categorical Program, Intern CA-0 (PGY1) year:
5 months: Main OR Anesthesiology
1 month: ED
1 month: Medicine wards
1 month: Peds wards
1 month: General surgery floor
1 month: Cardiac surgery floor
1 month: Cardiology (inpatient)
1 month: Pain clinic

Categorical Program, CA-1 (PGY2) year:
6 months: OR Anesthesia (including 1 month each of cardiac, peds, neuro, and OB anesthesia)
1 month: Preop clinic
1 month: Cardiac surgery ICU
1 month: PICU
1 month: Cardiology consult
1 month: Pulmonology consult
2 weeks: PACU
2 weeks: Acute pain service

Advanced Program, Intern (PGY1) year:
Traditional internship at another program

Advanced Program, CA-1 (PGY2) year:
9 months: OR Anesthesia (including 1 month each of peds, neuro, and OB anesthesia)
1 month: Preop clinic
1 month: Medical ICU
2 weeks: PACU
2 weeks: Acute pain service

By the time they start the CA-2 (PGY3) year, UVA Categorical program residents end up with 2 more months of intraoperative anesthesia training (i.e. 2 fewer months of internal medicine wards, etc) than the Advanced program residents.

This is true of almost all programs that have both categorical and advanced positions, including my own. You typically get one or two months in the operating room in May/June right before PGY-2/CA-1 year. This is critical for us and others as it helps offset the greatly decreased man-power (we start allow CA-1s to do their own cases mid-July to August if they are categorical, a month later for Advanced on average) with the departure of the senior class in July.