UAB vs Meharry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you attend?

• UAB

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Meharry

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

shaq93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I posted a similar thread in the school-specific subsection of the pre-allo forum but I'd like feedback from fellow URMs.

So Im holding a seat at Meharry with a 50% tuition scholarship and have just been accepted into a program at UAB which would require me to get a masters from my home institution and then matriculate into UAB's medical school automatically upon completion. Here are the pros and cons:

Meharry Pros:
~Felt much more comfortable here and hit it off with students/interviewees
~Family like atmosphere
~50% tuition scholarship (only for first year and nonrenewable)
~Can start medical school right away without completing masters program

Meharry Cons:
~Less prestigious
~Lacking resources
~~I.e. one small on-campus hospital, no trauma center, not a home department for every specialty, no recorded lectures
~A/B/C/F grading system
~More expensive

UAB Pros:
~Top 40 school
~More resources
~Several on-campus hospitals
~Home department for every specialty
~Pass/fail curriculum
~Have many friends already in attendance at UAB
~Cheaper b/c of in-state tuition and I'll have one year of my tuition paid in full

UAB Cons:
~Many of my undergrad classmates are going here and I want a fresh start (however 3rd/4th year students are assigned to one of four campuses in separate cities)
~Didn't feel as comfortable here as compared to Meharry
~Have to complete masters before matriculation

Obviously, most people would consider UAB to be the better school but I wonder if name and prestige is more important than fit in the long run. Anyhow, help me out sdn fam.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are these your only two choices? If it's not a 100% chance you'll get into the masters program at UAB I would go to Meharry. Not worth risking possibly not getting into medical school when you already have an acceptance. Just my opinion though.

Don't forget Meharry students also have access to Vanderbuilt's resources.

I'll find out if I got accepted into the master's program before orientation begins at Meharry. And the Vanderbilt alliance is a huge plus to Meharry, should have listed it as a pro in op.

Members don't see this ad :)
The resources and the P/F curriculum are a huge plus in my opinion. Also it would be cheaper. The way I read this is that you are guaranteed a spot in the med school once you complete the masters. 1 year longer isn’t the end of the world. I would go to UAB.

Reactions: 1 user
The resources and the P/F curriculum are a huge plus in my opinion. Also it would be cheaper. The way I read this is that you are guaranteed a spot in the med school once you complete the masters. 1 year longer isn’t the end of the world. I would go to UAB.

My only worry is that if something happens during the year (personal/family issues, illness) he is doing his masters. At least if he is in med school he can just decelerate - yes he would be a year behind but he's still in med school. Whereas in the masters he may be SOL and would have to go through the process all over again.

My only worry is that if something happens during the year (personal/family issues, illness) he is doing his masters. At least if he is in med school he can just decelerate - yes he would be a year behind but he's still in med school. Whereas in the masters he may be SOL and would have to go through the process all over again.
That is true, that is something he has to risk if he chose UAB.

Update: Just got into the Uab program now I gotta make this tough decision.... And thanks to you all for helping so far.

Reactions: 1 users
From the cons you listed at Meharry, it looks like your worried for life after med school. Compare match lists and see if you like where Meharry places it's students compared to UAB.

What did you decide? I personally would take the acceptance and run with it. I know many successful Meharry graduates.

What did you decide? I personally would take the acceptance and run with it. I know many successful Meharry graduates.
Haven't officially decided yet but I'm rather positive that im going to Meharry. When I think about starting med school at Meharry I get excited, I can't say they same about Uab.

Reactions: 5 users
@shaq93 what program at UAB requires you to get a masters before matriculation?
The rural medical scholars program (RMSP). As the name implies, the program strives to push future physicians to practice in rural areas of Alabama, specifically primary care docs.

I say go to Meharry bruh. It's an acceptance with no stipulations and , from what I've heard, you have a shot at getting more scholarships if you get good grades.

This is a tough one. I would choose Meharry. It would really suck to wait a year and spend money/time on your Masters just to end up somewhere that you don't feel is a good fit for you.

Meharry has made many successful graduates, including one who is a Surgeon at Johns Hopkins (Kofi Boahene). Remember, it's more about how well YOU do during your four years of med school that'll put you in a good position for residency and beyond. I cannot tell you how may times I have personally seen people who do ok/mediocre from a well-known medical school and not get their residency of choice.

Last edited:
Ultimately, you have a seat in a medical program now. I would take it and go. Bust your ass on your coursework and the USMLE and it really won't matter what Allo you went to.

Edit: Congrats BTW

Meharry. But I have some questions: How long is the master's program? and how required is it to get into UAB (if you say you don't want to do the master's do you still get in the med school)? If it's any longer than a year stop thinking about UAB right now and run to Nashville. Just one year of an attending salary will make up for the difference in tuition. And that isn't even taking into consideration the tuition and expenses for the time you'll be in the master's program. Also if you'd feel stuck with rural medicine go to Meharry and find someone at Vanderbilt to do research with when you get there. You can always find a FP residency if you don't end up wanting to specialize. It's a lot harder to transition from rural medicine to ortho or derm than the other way around.

Let me just say, don't underestimate how important feeling comfortable is. I ended up going to a PWI state school rather than a smaller private DO or HBMC. I love the fact that I am working towards what I love, but I do miss the feeling of inclusiveness and family that I feel like a lot of my white classmates tend to experience on a higher level. As others have said, you have a sure thing and soemething you have to work towards. UAB is a great campus and great med school. I did some research there and applied there, but ultimately, unless you are going specifically for research, you are going to get an excellent med school education at either institution and be a doctor in the end. And, at least in the relm of meharry vs. UAB, it's going to matter much more what your step scores, research, and recommendations are than which school's name you carry on your short white coat.