UAB vs UTHSCSA vs Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kzjb333

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a frequenter of this site and it has been very helpful. This will be my first post. I was hoping to get some info about these programs. They will be my top 3 and I can't make up my mind. They're all great programs. Does anyone have any info about call schedules/hrs and average hours?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to know as well.

I went to med school at UTHSCSA and know the program. I love the people there and think it's an excellent program. You will work a little harder though as it is a county hospital. Also, the CRNAs were being relieved by residents in the PM and that was one of my dealbreakers. I would much rather spend my time in challenging benchmark cases--or in lecture, than relieve CRNAs from bread and butter cases. UAB is probably the strongest anesthesiology program on that list, from research to caseload. Drs. Jones and Black are fantastic mentors and seemed to be first class academic anesthesiologist. I can't say much about Vandy since I decided not to interview there. My impression from a couple of the attendings I spoke to who went there is that it's a strong program where you work long hours. Very strong critical care, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for (city, mentorship, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy puts on a tough front, but from the fellows I've met in that program they seem to have a good/work life balance, solid pay, very generous CME. Can't comment on residency as in IM/ER dual trained, just recently boarded.

Considered them for Pulmonary Critical Care but stayed upper East Coast. CME is negotiable, got mine increased to 4,500 and 7 days paid. Now working CCU-Intensivist and the 7on 7off I like. Best of luck, inbox if you want more detailed info.

Doing ok on lines, it's the LPs I'm still nervous on.