UBC Pharmacy 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
teecee, I guess going all out!:) but I'm not really very very sure:)

Members don't see this ad.

No clue if anyone is going to see this because this thread seems pretty dead, but I just had a questions about the pharmacy application for UBC. How detailed does this application need to be? Will one or two points for each Award, job, etc suffice or should we be going all out?

Thanks! And hopefully everyone's applications are going well!

I recommend you go all out. That's what I did for my application two years ago. Didn't do any harm.

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely do that! Also, I heard rumors that once you get an interview, UBC doesn't look at anything other than how well you do on the interview. Is that true? Because my PCAT was 98% and my GPA is pretty dece (don't know the percent because I don't go to UBC currently) so I'd rather them not do that =P.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely do that! Also, I heard rumors that once you get an interview, UBC doesn't look at anything other than how well you do on the interview. Is that true? Because my PCAT was 98% and my GPA is pretty dece (don't know the percent because I don't go to UBC currently) so I'd rather them not do that =P.

From what I know, they look at both your interview score and GPA post-interview.

From what I know, they look at both your interview score and GPA post-interview.

I'll agree with this as well. However, it has been unconfirmed whether the weighing of the GPA changes between pre-interview to post-interview, that's something the Faculty keeps under wraps. Either way, the interview component is a key determinant on whether you get into the Faculty or not (without a doubt, even a 99% average will not save you on a very poorly done interview)

is there a minimum for pcat sections that UBC looks at or do they only require 65% composite? I did bad on verbal :(

only composite, do u mind telling me what u got? and how hard was it compared to pearson practice

Deadline is fast approaching... hopefully everyone who hasn't gotten their application in yet does so soon!

If anyone is currently at UBC Van, I have a question about housing... since I'll be transferring if I get into the Pharm program, I applied for housing back in late October. Will I get my spot in res with no problems or will I end up being on the waiting list? My first choice was a studio apartment, if that makes any difference.

I'm just curious because I've read/heard about people saying they applied "fairly early" but ended up being 1000th on the waiting list. I want to make sure I'll most likely have a place to stay if (no, when!) I end up in Vancouver next year.

Should I go in detail with regards to describing my technical skills and awards, kinda feels overly bragging
Opinions?

Hey everyone good luck in the application!

Anyone else write the last minute PCAT like I did this morning? I thought it wasn't too bad except for the quant. section...

Does the Documentation Status on UBC online pharmacy application update starting on Mar.15 ?

Should I go in detail with regards to describing my technical skills and awards, kinda feels overly bragging
Opinions?

Personal choice really. There's no right or wrong. I went into detail for the skills that were relevant and mentioned some lame ones just to fill up the application form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the Documentation Status on UBC online pharmacy application update starting on Mar.15 ?
According to the UBC Pharmacy website, yes. But it may get updated sooner because of the early registration deadline this year.

I think so! I asked UBC a few days ago and they told me not to worry because they aren't updating it til Mar. 15:D

does anyone know when the exact interview dates are? i cant seem to find them anywhere online :|

does anyone know when the exact interview dates are? i cant seem to find them anywhere online :|

Interviews are set for June - exact dates will be given (for you to choose from, likely either a Saturday or Sunday [usually run for 2 weeks to accommodate interviewees]) when invitations are emailed out.

Good luck to all here!

Any questions feel free to PM me or ask them here

hi bballa99! Just wanted to ask, if I put down UBC Science as my 2nd choice, do they usually evaluate the 2nd choice first?:)

Thanks in advance!:D

I got an email from UBC Pharm earlier today about applications. It says invites for interviews will be sent in May and interview days are June 1, 2, 8 and 9. They're doing them much earlier than last year by the looks of it.

The email also gave a little bit information about the MMI format. It would be nice if a current UBC Pharm student could fill us in about what we can expect from the interviews, and how early should be we be preparing. :)

I have a 70% gpa and 89 pcat how would that fare for interviews and admissions??

Thanks in advance

On that checklist it says my references are received but my PCAT score says not received, is this what the list looks like for you guys too? I wrote my PCAT late Jan so that might be why

Edit: it actually says on a page on the website that "the checklist of receipt of your PCAT score will be available beginning on MARCH 15", so if any of you guys check and see your PCAT says not received don't panic! Haha

Last edited:
I called UBC and they said don't panic if checklist says that PCAT is not received
my checklist says references were received and PCAT

Lady said that they have 600 applicants and it will take time to process all papers

Thanks for the heads up azazello, that's a relief:)
Lucasg, I don't mean to be rude but may I ask how your average dropped from an 86.7% a couple of weeks ago to 70%? On the previous page you wrote "I have 86.7% avg and 90 for pcat so not really worried how about you guys?" and in response to another person who had a lower average you wrote "personally I think if your avg is below 80 you probably shouldnt apply, no offence but you are probably not getting in since everybody has really high avgs like above 80..."

Are you trolling?

Hi guys!

I just want to know if I have a chance to get an interview :p

Pre-req gpa: ~80% (I have more than one physics, microbiology, organic chemistry...How will I know which one they will choose? I did much better on 3rd and 4th year organic chemistry, will they count these?)
PCAT: Wrote 3 times, my last attempt on January was 84 composite with 4 on essay :D
EC: 2 different research assistant. One being directly working for Professor who's working on vaccines. I have my name on a published literature journal :)
I did couple of other volunteering including 4months at the local drug store. I got my pharmacist to be one of my referee :)
I only have couple of school club activity...I just couldn't manage to be a big part it in due to my major being hardcore chemistry.

What do you guys think?
I'm out-of-province but I really want to even get an interview opportunity :p

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up azazello, that's a relief:)
Lucasg, I don't mean to be rude but may I ask how your average dropped from an 86.7% a couple of weeks ago to 70%? On the previous page you wrote "I have 86.7% avg and 90 for pcat so not really worried how about you guys?" and in response to another person who had a lower average you wrote "personally I think if your avg is below 80 you probably shouldnt apply, no offence but you are probably not getting in since everybody has really high avgs like above 80..."

Are you trolling?
I'm asking for a very desperate friend lol!! Any constructive advice/ opinion is appreciated!!

@lucasg
Well your friend shouldn't have bothered to apply, they've got under 80% gpa... haha, just joking around. :p I think your friend has a fair chance at an interview, mainly cause the PCAT is pretty good but they'll most likely need to have a very strong interview to make up for the low gpa.

@luveberry34
Your stats are pretty similar to mine, except I'm in province. I feel confident I'll get an interview, so unless there's a ton of genius/super competitive OOP applicants applying this year, I think you'll get one too.

Hi guys! Does anyone know what type of questions are going to be asked during the MMI? And how we should prepare for it (if we get called out for the interview)? :D

Hey guys! I have applied for entry to UBC PHARMACY 2013 and am getting SUPER NERVOUS. I am beginning to doubt myself, I feel like I should have gone into more detail on my application. I kind of rushed it. I have a 73 prereq gpa and a 92 composite on the pcat. I know my average is really low and non-competitive, but does anyone know of anyone who got in with stats similar to this? I do not have many awards and 'technical skills' (what does that even mean!?! haha) but I do have lots of volunteer experience with non-profit organizations and at a hospital. I also work as a pharmacy assistant. does that help?

Thank YOU for your time!:):):)

Hi guys! Does anyone know what type of questions are going to be asked during the MMI? And how we should prepare for it (if we get called out for the interview)? :D

Depending on how busy I am, I will try to make up some questions and set up a practice session in May. The interview questions can be very random and unrelated to pharmacy/health. Most of the questions test your problem solving and decision making skills.

I only spent a day before my interview to prepare for it and just focused on my communication skills.

Hey guys! I have applied for entry to UBC PHARMACY 2013 and am getting SUPER NERVOUS. I am beginning to doubt myself, I feel like I should have gone into more detail on my application. I kind of rushed it. I have a 73 prereq gpa and a 92 composite on the pcat. I know my average is really low and non-competitive, but does anyone know of anyone who got in with stats similar to this? I do not have many awards and 'technical skills' (what does that even mean!?! haha) but I do have lots of volunteer experience with non-profit organizations and at a hospital. I also work as a pharmacy assistant. does that help?

Thank YOU for your time!:):):)

Don't be nervous. Remember that 75-80% is the average of students who get admission, so there are bound to be some students below 75% in prereqs to balance the 90+ students in the program. Volunteering and working as a pharmacy assistant definitely makes for a strong application and your PCAT score is superb. If I were you, I'd make sure to rock the interview when the time comes. Good luck!

I found some articles about preparing for MMI's right here on SDN... well, the title is actually misleading, they don't have much tips about how to actually prepare for the interviews in the articles, more about what the MMI is exactly

http://studentdoctor.net/2013/01/how-to-prepare-for-multiple-mini-interviews-part-1/

http://studentdoctor.net/2013/02/how-to-prepare-for-multiple-mini-interviews-part-2/

I read through them and despite the misleading title it had some interesting information so maybe they could be of use to everyone else here?

Jojo, I don't think your average is really low, I've heard of kids getting accepted with less than 75% average. Plus your PCAT is really good!!
I guess we just gotta play the waiting game now

should i be worried if they havent updated the documents received page? i did my pcat in september 2012. they've updated the references though :S

Maybe give them a call tomorrow and let them know you took the pcat in Sept, and see what they say

Hi guys. Just a quick announcement from the faculty. March 4th to 8th is the Pharmacy Awareness Week. You can find pharmacy students of all years at the SUB during lunch time 12pm - 2 pm within that week. Feel free to stop by and ask us anything from student life to interview tips. More importantly, we will be hosting a Pharmacy Information Event (PIE) On March 7th from 5PM - 7PM in the new Pharmacy Building right beside Life Sciences Centre at 2405 Wesbrook Mall.in room 1101. We will be going over the application process, interview process, the expanding scope of practice for pharmacists and another other questions you may have! Free Pie, assorted treats and refreshments will be served. Hope to see you all there!

should i be worried if they havent updated the documents received page? i did my pcat in september 2012. they've updated the references though :S

Read previous messages

they are updating it and don't worry until March 15th if your status is "not received"

I wrote my PCAT in Sept and its still not received

Even if its lost they will give time for you to send another one.................chill :)

Hi evosilver! I'm doing my 1st year sciences at langara now:)

IMHO, I think those who take their prereqs at colleges instead ubc or any other university is taking the easy way. The competition and standards are obviously which higher at ubc

IMHO, I think those who take their prereqs at colleges instead ubc or any other university is taking the easy way. The competition and standards are obviously which higher at ubc

Easy way or not, once you're actually accepted into the program it most likely doesn't matter where or how you did your prerequisites. Everybody starts square one again as a first year Pharm student going to UBC.

Colleges would probably be the smarter choice for doing pre-pharm, anyways. Lower tuition, smaller class sizes, get to know your prof better... probably no grouchy TA's overseeing labs too. I wish I did that instead of UBC to start.

On the chance somebody did go to an easy college that gives out easy A's and didn't fully teach the required material, the PCAT would probably cause some issues.

Yeah, but the truth is the pcat isnt actually that heavily weighed and isnt really that hard... Just doesnt seem fair, ubc should knock out at least 10% off their gpas. No Offense