UC Berkeley Extension vs. Harvard Extension HCP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojo427

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding between UC Berkeley Extension Post Bacc Health Professions Program and the Health Careers Program at Harvard! Although I was admitted into the Health Careers Program at Harvard, I also did get some B's, a C, and a D in science courses in my undergrad, and so they are requiring at least a 30 on my MCAT in addition to the requirement of B's or better in their courses in order to qualify for sponsorship. Is that going to be difficult? or should I go to the UC Berkeley Extension program? I've read so many bad posts about it in this forum. Is it really that bad? I went to undergrad in Boston, so I'd be familiar with the city if I went to Harvard Extension, but I've also wanted to move out to California for a while. I'm torn and confused. Any advice would be much appreciated!
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If your GPA puts you in the boat of requiring a 30 MCAT for sponsorship, I think you need to get at least a 30 on top of getting straight A's in the 28 or so semester hours sponsorship requires to have a shot at med school. If you know Boston and like it, I don't see a reason to uproot yourself. IMHO, the Bay Area isn't as nice as it used to be 10 years when I last lived there, so don't be moving just to move... move to where your post-bac goals are best served. Also, CA is bankrupt and the UC's have been paying for it for the last 5 years in budget cuts and tuition hikes (this may or may not affect Cal's program) whereas classes are ~$900 at HES.

Regardless of the program's requirements, wouldn't you want to get a 30 on the MCAT anyway? As long as you do really well in your classes and on the MCAT, I think either school would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need help deciding between UC Berkeley Extension Post Bacc Health Professions Program and the Health Careers Program at Harvard! Although I was admitted into the Health Careers Program at Harvard, I also did get some B's, a C, and a D in science courses in my undergrad, and so they are requiring at least a 30 on my MCAT in addition to the requirement of B's or better in their courses in order to qualify for sponsorship. Is that going to be difficult? or should I go to the UC Berkeley Extension program? I've read so many bad posts about it in this forum. Is it really that bad? I went to undergrad in Boston, so I'd be familiar with the city if I went to Harvard Extension, but I've also wanted to move out to California for a while. I'm torn and confused. Any advice would be much appreciated!
:confused:

I've never taken a class with Berk. Ext, but I did a little research on it. Just something to keep in mind:

-Locations vary. They have a main building in Berkeley, but some classes are hosted in San Francisco, and most labs are at community colleges in Oakland.

This could be a blessing or a hassle for you...just saying what I observed.

Last edited: