UC Berkeley MCELLBIX105 (online Biochem) Midterm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropanic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently in the middle of my online biochem at UC Berkeley (yes the dreaded class that everyone hates on) with Rebekah Marsh.
I plan on taking the midterm this week, and was wondering if anyone had any advice for it? I know that it is 1.5 hours and seems to be open note/book - but with this professor, not sure how much that will help.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to ask, I am heavily considering taking that course, since I work full time and never took Biochem as an undergrad or post bacc... how do you like it?

I have to ask, I am heavily considering taking that course, since I work full time and never took Biochem as an undergrad or post bacc... how do you like it?
To be honest it is a HUGE pain. I have by now gotten used to the professor's grading so I do well on the assignments, however I signed up for this course thinking that I would at least be taught biochem. The class is set up so that you read X chapters and 1-2 pages of her "commentary" which is actually just watered down info from the textbook with the occasional exception of some new info, and then do a written assignment and a discussion post based off of prompts set by the professor. At first, it was hard to do well on them but now I know what she wants and I can usually pull out an A on the assignment. I FAILED (65%) the midterm I was talking about above^, but I didn't prepare in any way - just wanted to get it over with so I could stay on track with finishing the course on time because I decided to take the class pass/fail.
There are no recorded lectures, no anything with the actual teacher. So it kind of sucks that I was expecting a class when actually I am just regurgitating the textbook to appease her ridiculous rubric. I have no problem teaching myself concepts as I have done that in all of my pre-med classes, but it really just sucks when there truly is no lecture or skype in to the class or ANYTHING being verbally taught like in other online classes I was looking into.
So that being said, it does take a good bit of time to finish the assignments and do well. However, UCB gives you 6 months to finish the course so it would definitely be doable with a full time work schedule. I am almost done with it and have an 86% overall (but the final is 50% so...) and don't dedicate my life to it as I am studying for the MCAT and that is my priority and I work part time.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ This is everything that I want to scream at my ridiculous UC berk biochem "professor", if I can call her that.
Mine is different than yours, @mlowe1, and even though I think she's the worst teacher I've ever had, I won't go so far to name her. Nonetheless, she sounds exactly the same as your prof. Ridiculous expectations that aren't made clear in the slightest, and every time i email her wondering how I was to appease her or understand her expectations she writes back with a pompous reply that I got the grade I got on an assignment because I didn't know the material, and obviously not because her prompts are 1 sentence long and difficult to understand what she's looking for (a 3 page overview, a 10 page regurgitation of info, etc.).

DO NOT TAKE BERK BIOCHEM - the teacher will make your life unbearable. I've wanted to email my professor countless times giving her a piece of my mind, alas I need the class for med school. I'm saving my fury for the professor until I'm done and can write a wordy review.

Reactions: 1 user
Another sucker thinking that this class was going to be an easy A, lol. Many people, including those that are attending med schools, have said that this class is even harder than med school courses. I am not sure about this professor but ... I can tell you there are some real crappy ones.
Next time, do your research and read ratemyprofessors.com
None of them have good reviews for valid reasons

Don't people know how to research>?

Last edited:
Another sucker thinking that this class was going to be an easy A, lol. Many people, including those that are attending med schools, have said that this class is even harder than med school courses. I am not sure about this professor but ... I can tell you there are some real crappy ones.
Next time, do your research and read ratemyprofessors.com
None of them have good reviews for valid reasons

Don't people know how to research>?

I was forced to take this particular course because of financial and timing issues, so I was not surprised when the professor was this way as I had scoured these forums and RMP. Knowing and expecting her to be awful doesn't make it any more bearable.
Not sure who you have encountered that thought this class would be an easy A. That's absurd for any realistic person to ever think that.

Does anyone have any experience with the University of New England (UNE) online biochemistry course? I've read some of the old posts but I haven't found one that addresses the course load. I am working full-time so I have a slight time constraint. The course is scheduled as a 16 week course completion, but it's self paced so you may complete it as quickly as you want. Other than work, I go out for fun ~once a week, would it be reasonable to finish this course in 10-11 weeks?

bump. taking my final next week, anyone who has taken this course have advice of how to study for it???

I just completed the UC Berkeley Extension, MCELLBI X105 - Introductory Biochemistry course (11/1/15). PM me if you would like more information regarding the course, mid-term, or final.

I just completed the UC Berkeley Extension, MCELLBI X105 - Introductory Biochemistry course (11/1/15). PM me if you would like more information regarding the course, mid-term, or final.
Can I pm you...I am studying for the final and could use a little advise!!! Please I am overwhelmed and very anxious!

Can I pm you...I am studying for the final and could use a little advise!!! Please I am overwhelmed and very anxious!
Hi from a current student. How was your final? I am in the beginning stages of the class and am trying to figure out the best way to prepare long term for the final. Would you suggest studying lecture notes? or reviewing previous assignments and worksheets? what is the final set up like...Any information would help!