UC Berkeley Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested the Berkeley Pre-Med Post Bacc. I've read some mixed reviews on here, but I was wondering if any current students could provide some insight. Are the classes of decent enough quality? And how are the professors? Lastly, what are your thoughts on the difficult of the classes?

-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a berkeley extension student, but since nobody else has responded to your question I figured I'd contribute a comment.

I just attended one of their info sessions last week and I learned that their professors are selected by a committee that approves regular, UC Berkeley professors, so they try to do a lot of quality control regarding who's teaching their extension classes.

They said in the info session that classes are small (around 25-30 students) and prof's are very addressable and eager to help students out with letters of rec.

After attending the info session I decided not to apply to the program. Mainly because UCB Extension does not offer federal financial aid. Also, they are very tailored to working adults (all their classes are nights and weekends), and I'm looking to go to school full time. Oh yeah, and most of their classes are not at the UC Berkeley campus....you have to drive all over the Bay to get to your classes....that's a lot of money to be spent on gas, bridge toles and parking...

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. Luckily for me, financial aid won't be as much of a problem, but I totally feel you. I basically plan on taking 2 classes a semester(the basic premed classes), and looking at their current list I may be able to get away with taking the lectures in Berkeley, and labs elsewhere, but I am sure that's subject to change. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, this post caught my eye in passing since I'm currently taking UCBX classes right now (Med Vir, Med Microbio, and Biochem).

In terms of difficulty, if you have a decent biology background, I doubt you'll have much trouble if you put in *some* effort studying. Since I'm taking all night classes, I get the distinct impression that the teachers really simplify the material so that the course isn't too difficult. Example: Biochemistry with Prof. Yund is open book, open notes. The cut-off for an A is 85%. Med. Virology allows you to drop two of your lowest quiz scores. Med Micro prof always points out what she is going to put on the exams, etc, etc.

So far, the professors don't strike me as being especially personable. It's hard to develop a relationship unless you make a big effort or see them in lab. But they are nice and approachable. Lectures can be tiring since the professors are tired and the classes themselves are way too long, sometimes torturous for both parties if the material is not very interesting. But if you're under the mentality that you gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead, it's not so bad.

Hey there, this post caught my eye in passing since I'm currently taking UCBX classes right now (Med Vir, Med Microbio, and Biochem).

In terms of difficulty, if you have a decent biology background, I doubt you'll have much trouble if you put in *some* effort studying. Since I'm taking all night classes, I get the distinct impression that the teachers really simplify the material so that the course isn't too difficult. Example: Biochemistry with Prof. Yund is open book, open notes. The cut-off for an A is 85%. Med. Virology allows you to drop two of your lowest quiz scores. Med Micro prof always points out what she is going to put on the exams, etc, etc.

So far, the professors don't strike me as being especially personable. It's hard to develop a relationship unless you make a big effort or see them in lab. But they are nice and approachable. Lectures can be tiring since the professors are tired and the classes themselves are way too long, sometimes torturous for both parties if the material is not very interesting. But if you're under the mentality that you gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead, it's not so bad.

I know this is old but would you be willing to share some good quality professors you found through UCBX? Thanks