UC Berkeley School Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autoclitic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with the School Psychology PhD at UC Berkeley? I am a BCBA looking to get a PhD in school psychology and Berkeley seemed like a good fit since it was local to me. Just wondering if anyone else went through the program and could share their experiences.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Their clinical program is pretty good and I know their psychoneurological program is strong, but I cannot speak for their school psychology program. Are you planning on continuing with applied behavior analysis or something else? What are your long-term goals?

Thanks for the information. I couldn't find much on their school psychology program, but since it's Berkeley I assumed it would be good. It's one of a few accredited PhD programs in school psychology.

Yes, I plan to continue with ABA. I currently own a small ABA practice (specific to children with autism), but would like to obtain a doctorate in school psychology so I can expand into school districts as well as teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
On just assumption alone, it is probably a great program. Also, and you would know this better than me, but why couldn't you do a PhD/PsyD in Clinical Psychology with an emphasis in children?

I was actually thinking about doing that too, but School Psychology seems to provide better training to work in schools (not that a clinical degree wouldn't) and additional training in assessments. The Clinical Psych PhD programs that I have taken a look at are very research based. From the conversations I have had with the faculty at UC Berkeley, the School Psychology program isn't as research based and much more practical. I am staying away from Psy.D programs as well as non-UC schools.

While I did not attend that specific program there, I can tell you its a wonderful school and you would probably not be disappointed.

When I was applying to school psych PhD programs 2 years ago, UC Berkeley's school psych program in particular got kind of a bad rap on the interview circuit--I didn't apply there personally, but the folks I met who did were told by current students that the program had some major issues. One thing I do know is that students are required to complete a half-time, two-year internship, which precludes students from doing APA or APPIC internships. This could be very problematic depending on your goals.

I's also add that this particular program is (from my understanding) not particularly behaviorally oriented--I point that out because you're a BCBA and because many school psych programs do have a strong behavioral orientation. If that's something you're looking for, I would look more into other school psych PhD programs, especially the more research-intensive ones.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was applying to school psych PhD programs 2 years ago, UC Berkeley's school psych program in particular got kind of a bad rap on the interview circuit--I didn't apply there personally, but the folks I met who did were told by current students that the program had some major issues. One thing I do know is that students are required to complete a half-time, two-year internship, which precludes students from doing APA or APPIC internships. This could be very problematic depending on your goals.

I's also add that this particular program is (from my understanding) not particularly behaviorally oriented--I point that out because you're a BCBA and because many school psych programs do have a strong behavioral orientation. If that's something you're looking for, I would look more into other school psych PhD programs, especially the more research-intensive ones.

UC Berkley isn't bad, but it is not considered a top caliber program. The faculty are not, on the whole, prolific. The funding for doc students is bad (like, from what I have heard, many do not get funding), and they make you take two internships (in school and community) that are not even APA internships, which can limit you a bit for certain jobs down the line. If you plan to stay in the area and/or only work in schools, I am sure it is fine.

Here is a list of APA approved School Psych programs http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/accred-school.aspx

And APA approved combined practitioner programs http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/accred-prof-scientific.aspx

Reactions: 1 user
Auto: If I understand your needs, my opinion is that the UCB program is probably not the right fit. It's more integrative and maybe overkill for you. The students train to be school
psychs but conduct research with faculty in the GSE (outside of school psych), the Dept of psychology, and others. So, most student research is not school psych related, but more
Related to cognition and development broadly. The research opportunities are exceptional. Basically 100% of students are funded, but you have to hustle for it until you become a phd candidate which can suck. True about the internship model as well. Two half time--no possibility of APA if that's your bag. The program isn't a backdoor to a clin psych faculty position, etc, as some
People seem to want(?). you should want what they're serving up to be happiest and most successful in the program. (Apologies for typos, banged this out on a mobile)

Did anyone here applied to UC Berkeley School Psychology program and got accepted? It would be very helpful for me to know what types of students get accepted. TIA