UC Berkeley vs UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMPHMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering both these schools because I want to go to school in CA. For health policy, which one has the stronger program? What are the pros and cons of both in terms of program, location or anything else relevant? Any current students have opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I went through the Berkeley HPM program a couple years ago. Both programs are pretty strong and have good reputations, especially if you want to settle in California. Berkeley may have a little more sway if you want to head out to DC or NYC, but I can't say this for certain.

One potential point of differentiation is that Berkeley's HPM program has ties with the Goldman school and if you want some hard core policy skills, they have an option for an MPH-MPP dual degree. UCLA may have something similar too.

Ultimately, the big difference is WHERE you'll be going to school. Berkeley/Bay Area and SoCal are dramatically different geographically and culturally. You may find that you prefer one over the other, and that may be an important criterion for your choice in school.

agree with fangshopper.

UCLA also has a MPH/MPP 3yr program and several policy courses are cross-listed with the Luskin School.

Talk to several professors about graduate placement. I imagine Berkeley would have a strong relationship with Kaiser Family Foundation due to its proximity. I've been informed about policy internships in DC, however I'm not in the policy track so I can't speak much to the experiences that the current 2nd year students had in DC.