UC Davis c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have officially gone through all the stages of post-interviewing:

WOW! I think that went really well! :soexcited:

Oh my gosh...why did I say that? Was that even close to right? :scared:

I can't believe I said that. I'll never get in now :cry:

and finally.....

Who the heck knows? Guess I'll find out in a month :shrug:

Goodluck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Glad interviews and meeting students is going well. We like it here and hope you guys do too!!

Be nice to your mentors as we get closer to Friday - we have one hell of a test to take and are being handed a take home exam that will be due during the weekend right after it. If we look like zombies - don't be surprised! :)

Glad interviews and meeting students is going well. We like it here and hope you guys do too!!

Be nice to your mentors as we get closer to Friday - we have one hell of a test to take and are being handed a take home exam that will be due during the weekend right after it. If we look like zombies - don't be surprised! :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)

and finally.....

I can totally relate to this. I've even considered calling the school and asking them to pass along a few better responses to questions that I came up with post-interview. :laugh:

I really wish that a current Davis student would sneak into admissions and peek at my file. I just want to know what they thought of me!!! Gonna be a long few weeks. :scared:

:D

I can totally relate to this. I've even considered calling the school and asking them to pass along a few better responses to questions that I came up with post-interview. :laugh:

I answered a question objectively wrong during my interview because I got origins of two cat breeds mixed up from being a bit flustered about the odd line of questioning they were leading me down.

Here is my disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

But you know what I did?

I put a thank you note in the professor who asked the question in the interview's campus mailbox...with the right answer to the question written on it too - just in case he actually wanted to KNOW where the Korat originated from.

:oops:

I answered a question objectively wrong during my interview because I got origins of two cat breeds mixed up from being a bit flustered about the odd line of questioning they were leading me down.

Here is my disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

But you know what I did?

I put a thank you note in the professor who asked the question in the interview's campus mailbox...with the right answer to the question written on it too - just in case he actually wanted to KNOW where the Korat originated from.

:oops:

This anecdote, while adorable, does me absolutely no good. a) I don't go to school at Davis and would need to drive up there are stalk out the interviewers' mailboxes and b) I didn't answer any particular question incorrectly. I just worry that they walked away thinking I was a complete dimwitted fraud, unworthy of shining their shoes with a kimwipe. I am sure that was not the case, but still... to be a fly on the wall for those five minutes after I left the interview room. I've got a glossy pic of a shirtless Malkin if you can find out what they were saying!! ;)

It is over two days until my interview. I'm not even in the state yet... and I am starting to get nervous as hell!!! Ah!

It is over two days until my interview. I'm not even in the state yet... and I am starting to get nervous as hell!!! Ah!

When's your interview? Mines this Friday!!!! Im getting so nervous. I need to be all over DVM 360.

That's a weird thing to be stockpiling. :D

If I found your file I'd just put a big orange NO FLYERS FANS label on it anyway, so don't try to recruit me for your nefarious purposes...

Just when I thought we could be friends. Sniff. :(

Auuuuugh, mine is on monday and the fear is totally setting in....

You guys! I have TWO! VMOP Friday and the normal one Monday. GAH!!!

Can a current student speak on where he/she lives in relation to campus? Average rent? Live with anyone else? How far is your commute? Do you bike to school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

and finally.....

Umm, yeah. I've gone through all of these stages plus "OMG, they think I like killing puppies. I flunked vet ethics 101, apparently." Totally dejected at this point :(.

Goodluck eveyone else.

Can a current student speak on where he/she lives in relation to campus? Average rent? Live with anyone else? How far is your commute? Do you bike to school? Thanks!

It really depends on your personal preferences for a lot of that stuff. I'd rather eat acid then live with anyone other than my cats at this point in time and I'm dead lazy in the mornings, so I live in Davis and my rent is pretty high as I'm in a 1br at the place that isn't ridiculous about pet restrictions. Rent is cheaper in Woodland or Dixon, but comes with a 10-15 min commute and requires purchase of a parking pass. Davis is very bike friendly, so lots of people do that.

Places are always cheaper with roommates. Davis rent is about 900-1k/month for a 1br, 1200-1300ish 2br, 1600-1800ish 3br, etc depending on if it's a complex or a house, if there is a gardener, etc. Most places also require pet deposits. You can look at a lot of that pricing and stuff in different complexes on The Davis Wiki. There are a lot of privately owned houses/duplexes that get put on the school lists as well.

Umm, yeah. I've gone through all of these stages plus "OMG, they think I like killing puppies. I flunked vet ethics 101, apparently." Totally dejected at this point :(.

Goodluck eveyone else.

Hopefully you did better than you think. :) Remember - a lot of CURRENT students walked out of their interview feeling a little dejected so don't worry about it too much. Nothing you can do but sit and wait at this point. I'm thinking good thought for you!

I live in Dixon and I don't think the commute is bad AT ALL. I live in a one bedroom apartment on a farm and pay $850. I have a yard for the dogs, my horse in a barn that I can see form my window and privacy and quiet. Study buddy lives in a duplex in Dixon and likes it. Another study buddy lives in Woodland with a similar situation but no barn on the property. There's never a problem with traffic and it super nice to be away from all the undergrads.

I know some of my classmates who enjoy going out to bars and partying really prefer living in Davis because they don't want to have to drive back and forth multiple times for social stuff. I'm an old married lady who is in bed by 10pm on Friday nights so I have a slightly different perspective about where to live. :)

Your property with a barn sounds amazing! Is that common to be able to find?

I don't think it is common. I know there were 3 or 4 horse properties that were advertised on our listserv during the summer. I know my landlord personally so had a connection beforehand. The horse properties are normally a full house that 2+ people rent together. Time will tell with your class. Sometime during the summer, if you get in, we will get your listserv going and you'll start getting spam for all these types of things. :)

Gah, so exciting! These interviews need to happen so I can not fail my last semester of undergrad with crazy anticipation, hahaha.

I actually live in Sacramento, and love it!! I lived in Davis for my first two years, but looking at the cost breakdown I just couldn't stay in Davis.

Davis Apartment: one bedroom/one bathroom, no W/D, NO utilities covered (so I even paid for water, sewer, trash, etc.) - $965 (and it was hard to find a decent place under $1K)

Sacramento Apartment: TWO bedrooms, TWO bathrooms, W/D in the unit, ALL utilities covered except for electricity - $865

So I'm saving quite a bit of money when you combine rent and utilities, and I have more than twice the space. I live by myself because I'm 30 and have 5 cats and a husband who visits periodically. You could live for cheaper in Davis if you want/don't mind roommates. As for the drive, I'm from L.A., so a 20 minute drive is nothing for me and I don't mind it one bit. Also, traffic here is basically nonexistent, so that's not a problem either. I also just wanted to get out of Davis, I'm not a huge fan but that's personal preference.

Also - if anyone who's interviewing wants a tour of the VMTH and/or facilities, send me PM, I'm more than happy to help out and show people around :)

Great news!! Only 25 more days of anxiously waiting to find out where I am going to spend the next 4 years of my life. :sleep:

Places are always cheaper with roommates. Davis rent is about 900-1k/month for a 1br, 1200-1300ish 2br, 1600-1800ish 3br, etc depending on if it's a complex or a house, if there is a gardener, etc. Most places also require pet deposits. You can look at a lot of that pricing and stuff in different complexes on The Davis Wiki. There are a lot of privately owned houses/duplexes that get put on the school lists as well.

Just to chime in here - I live in a 2 bedroom, 1000+ sq ft. apartment in West Davis and I definitely pay under 1200. Pretty uncommon for Davis, but it is possible!

As for roommates...as much as it may be easier and you may want to do it, I would advise not living with classmates. Other years of vet students isn't as bad, but I've seen plenty of roommates that lived together and now don't talk...or were great friends, moved in together and are now miserable. Plus, you spend enough time with your classmates as it is... (This is not my personal experience just anecdotal - I lived alone for about a year before bf moved in, but I was able to pay for the apartment just fine on my own.)

Thank you so much for all the insight, you guys!

I would like to echo what Pomona said. I am a second year and live with a third year. As the person a year behind in school, I can benefit from getting advice on classes and professors, and borrow her books :) I chose to live with a vet student because they would understand my crazy schedule and be respectful of it, but not someone in my class so as to avoid being with the person 24/7.

There are a few people who live together in my class and are the best of friends, but I think the more likely outcome is frustration.

I can't wait until my interview tomorrow!!!! (or can I. Ugh!!!!!)

GL everyone!!! This econolodge ain't as bad as I expected. I get free yogurt!!!! :soexcited:

I can't wait until my interview tomorrow!!!! (or can I. Ugh!!!!!)

GL everyone!!! This econolodge ain't as bad as I expected. I get free yogurt!!!! :soexcited:

Free yogurt? Totally jelly. Motel 6 only does coffee. Have a great day tomorrow, they already want you! Hurry up and knock their socks off so we can play Hunger Games :D

:luck:

When's your interview? Mines this Friday!!!! Im getting so nervous. I need to be all over DVM 360.

Sending good thoughts your way. Know you'll do great! Best of luck, TW and everyone else interviewing over the next few days. :luck:

Thanks guys!!

AH! I've been thinking about you all morning! GO KICK SOME ARSE!
Cheerleader_by_KimRaiFan.gif

AH! I've been thinking about you all morning! GO KICK SOME ARSE!
Cheerleader_by_KimRaiFan.gif

You should have seen me at 6:45. I couldn't work the shower. I called the front desk, I called my mother (?????), and then it miraculously worked.

Glad I'm so calm and collected! NOT

You should have seen me at 6:45. I couldn't work the shower. I called the front desk, I called my mother (?????), and then it miraculously worked.

Glad I'm so calm and collected! NOT

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You'll do great. Woosa!

Much luck Tigerwillow and Mooshagen!!! You'll do awesome!! :luck::luck::luck:

Yay!!!! It actually went awesome.

Getting there was pretttttty hectic. I caught a ride with a biomed engineer! At least I was highly resourceful (or pulled off the cute lost lamb look)

Getting there was pretttttty hectic. I caught a ride with a biomed engineer! At least I was highly resourceful (or pulled off the cute lost lamb look)

:smuggrin: nice! Glad to hear it went so well! Now... back to waiting some more! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know when they plan to start sending out decisions? I've heard 2 dates now: 3/21 and 3/26. Anybody know which date it is?

Went awesome?? That's all? I want more details!!! PM me if you feel more comfortable and wanna use that vulgar language you've embraced in the past. So glad it all went well!! :D

Does anyone know when they plan to start sending out decisions? I've heard 2 dates now: 3/21 and 3/26. Anybody know which date it is?

Interview letter states that decisions start going out on the 26th.

24 more days!!!! :eek: :sleep:

Went awesome?? That's all? I want more details!!! PM me if you feel more comfortable and wanna use that vulgar language you've embraced in the past. So glad it all went well!! :D

Haha!!!! Well I wanted to share the quick note. I'll definitely be pming you details. At least I didn't wait for 20 minutes (it really is a hilarious story on how I got to the interview. Just hope they don't judge me on comin in 3 mins before my call time)

Note to everyone! It takes longer than an hour to cross the entire campus!!! What the hell was I thinking!!! Get a taxi instead of depending on the trams

First interview done! *breathe*

Woke up today feeling under the weather and exhausted from a 14 hour shift at the clinic that commenced with 2am surgeries. Then a bird chirped in the window and I realized that I only have 22 more days before I might hear from Davis. Heart is aflutter... :love::soexcited::clap::claps::hello:

Got an extensive tour of the VMTH today. It took four hours, and I still didn't see everything. It's huge!

Got an extensive tour of the VMTH today. It took four hours, and I still didn't see everything. It's huge!

It's truly incredible. One of the reasons why Davis is my top-choice destination this fall. Good luck, my friend. 22 days.

Interview is tomorrow! What did Dr. LeFebvre say at the orientation? Fear and excitement are caused by the same hormone?