UC Davis c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, nothing on my portal. Is it just today that they're giving invites though?
Who knows. But what a depressing and annoying system, though. Everyone else gets offers while others don't even get any kind of contact (waitlist, rejected, ect.) Same thing with Mizzou. The waiting is just mentally exhausting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is in part of the interview offer email that I received,

Please make your selection by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 25. After that time, we will begin notifying applicants that are on our interview waitlist. If you wish to decline your invitation to interview with our school, please notify us using the Messages feature on the Applicant Portal immediately so we may offer your interview position to another candidate.

So there is an interview waitlist, don't give up hope! Its a bummer that there isnt more communication, but just keep fingers crossed for after Nov 25th.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
This is in part of the interview offer email that I received,

Please make your selection by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 25. After that time, we will begin notifying applicants that are on our interview waitlist. If you wish to decline your invitation to interview with our school, please notify us using the Messages feature on the Applicant Portal immediately so we may offer your interview position to another candidate.

So there is an interview waitlist, don't give up hope! Its a bummer that there isnt more communication, but just keep fingers crossed for after Nov 25th.

Good luck to everyone!

Thank you for the PSA. Shame the rest of us aren't told where we are on the waitlist, or if we even made it onto the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I declined the interview as OOS. Hope one of you guys gets it.

Well I declined the interview as OOS. Hope one of you guys gets it.

giphy.gif

Seriously though, thanks from all of us.

Reactions: 11 users
Congrats to those of you who were invited to interview! As in IS, I was still so worried and was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I received an invite. Good luck to everyone :) If you haven't heard yet they said they would let everyone know of their status by November 28th.

as of this time, there are 20 interview slots unclaimed

I'm really getting nauseous and anxious from all this anticipation.... Not just Davis, all of it.

I'm really getting nauseous and anxious from all this anticipation.... Not just Davis, all of it.

I am right there with ya. Haven't heard anything back from any of the schools I've applied to. A denial would be better than waiting at this much longer...

To those of you who did receive interviews, CONGRATS!! Also, would you mind posting your GPAs (science, cumulative, and last 45 units)?

Thanks and sure! Mine are science 3.67, cumulative 3.74, last 45 3.86. and quantitative GRE is 161.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew applying to Davis was a long-shot but it stinks that they don't look at your experiences more because that's definitely where my application looks best. My scores are good for any other school but below the average for Davis. Congrats to those who got interviews and good luck to those who might get the extra ones!

Reactions: 3 users
To those of you who did receive interviews, CONGRATS!! Also, would you mind posting your GPAs (science, cumulative, and last 45 units)?

Cumulative: 3.72, Overall science: 3.82, Last 45: 3.82

Science 3.49, cumulative 3.55, last 45 units 3.81.

My GPAs are pretty mediocre, so I honestly didn't think I'd make their arbitrary cut. But I think my GRE saved my butt (quant 168). Fingers crossed for the rest of you! The portal right now tells me there are 14 interview slots unclaimed...

Science: 3.95, Cumulative: 3.91, Last 45: 3.93, Quant: 151 (I am not a standardized test person...)

I'm not sure how true this is, but one of the admissions representatives spoke at my Prevet club's meeting last year and said specifically that the new admissions criteria is 90% GPA and GRE Q scores with only 10% weight on everything else. She was not happy about the change to this non-holistic admissions strategy. Just seems so inequitable for a nontraditional instate student like me. Seems kind of like LSU's out of state policy of only reviewing the top 150 of the over 550 out of state students who submit applications.That being said, it's their school and they can do things however they see fit. Just a huge bummer.

I'm not sure how true this is, but one of the admissions representatives spoke at my Prevet club's meeting last year and said specifically that the new admissions criteria is 90% GPA and GRE Q scores with only 10% weight on everything else. She was not happy about the change to this non-holistic admissions strategy. Just seems so inequitable for a nontraditional instate student like me. Seems kind of like LSU's out of state policy of only reviewing the top 150 of the over 550 out of state students who submit applications.That being said, it's their school and they can do things however they see fit. Just a huge bummer.

Man this sucks so bad :(

It is a big bummer for sure.

What you said is accurate. The 3 criteria for interview invites is, in order of importance: Sci GPA/Last 45 GPA, GREQ, PPI. That's it. I've spoken with their admissions department, and they said were very proud of how streamlined (actual word used) their admissions process has become. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure streamlining admissions for a 4 year professional school is something you want to make your top priority. Call my crazy, but if I were looking at applicants, I might actually want to use a certain degree of care in selecting candidates, rather than running a computer algorithm.

Yes, GPA and GRE are good indicators of whether or not you'll be successful in veterinary school, but that's not the point here. UC Davis (and apparently LSU) fail to understand that they're not the ONLY factors, and I feel that it's going to hurt their futures as institutions.

Again let me reiterate, congratulations to all of those who received interview invites, you definitely deserve it! My beef is with the school, not you guys.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore. Davis is my IS and would still cost more than most of the OOS schools I would rather go to. I hate the Central Valley of California. The only reason I wanted to go there is because they have good wildlife med opportunities, otherwise the cost, area, and lifestyle are just not appealing to me...

Last edited:

What you said is accurate. The 3 criteria for interview invites is, in order of importance: Sci GPA/Last 45 GPA, GREQ, PPI. That's it. I've spoken with their admissions department, and they said were very proud of how streamlined (actual word used) their admissions process has become. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure streamlining admissions for a 4 year professional school is something you want to make your top priority. Call my crazy, but if I were looking at applicants, I might actually want to use a certain degree of care in selecting candidates, rather than running a computer algorithm.

Yes, GPA and GRE are good indicators of whether or not you'll be successful in veterinary school, but that's not the point here. UC Davis (and apparently LSU) fail to understand that they're not the ONLY factors, and I feel that it's going to hurt their futures as institutions.

Again let me reiterate, congratulations to all of those who received interview invites, you definitely deserve it! My beef is with the school, not you guys.
I absolutely agree. Well said and good luck to everyone regardless:)

Cum: 3.81, last 45: 3.91, overall: 3.91, GRE quant : 161. I am just glad they didn't use verbal/writing section cuz I suck on them....

Just checked and there are still 7 interview spots unclaimed!

Cumulative: 3.71 last 45: 3.56 science:3.53
GRE quantitative: 156 (60%) verbal: 155 (71%) writing: 4.5 (80%)

Hi, I would like to clear up a few points. Actually, the criteria are Last 45 GPA, Science GPA, Quant GRE and PPI in that order. These are the application elements that have been shown to have the greatest correlation with success in our program. The first part of the admissions process is designed to select candidates that meet the criteria to succeed academically in the program and the MMI portion of the admissions process is designed to identify those candidates that display a high degree of empathy, have strong communication skills, can think outside of the box and also are responsible and critical thinkers. Also, the program only requires 180 hours of veterinary experience as we feel that to require a large number of experience hours - often unpaid volunteer hours - unfairly penalizes those students that need or chose to work while pursuing their undergraduate degree. We feel that 180 hours is sufficient for a candidate to determine if this is the right career path for them. I hope this helps and I wish everyone the best of luck for this year's admission cycle.

Hi, I would like to clear up a few points. Actually, the criteria are Last 45 GPA, Science GPA, Quant GRE and PPI in that order. These are the application elements that have been shown to have the greatest correlation with success in our program. The first part of the admissions process is designed to select candidates that meet the criteria to succeed academically in the program and the MMI portion of the admissions process is designed to identify those candidates that display a high degree of empathy, have strong communication skills, can think outside of the box and also are responsible and critical thinkers. Also, the program only requires 180 hours of veterinary experience as we feel that to require a large number of experience hours - often unpaid volunteer hours - unfairly penalizes those students that need or chose to work while pursuing their undergraduate degree. We feel that 180 hours is sufficient for a candidate to determine if this is the right career path for them. I hope this helps and I wish everyone the best of luck for this year's admission cycle.

I contacted the admissions via phone and was told to email from my portal regarding my issue (Davis has my overall GPA completely wrong 3.54 when VMCAS and my transcripts have a 3.73). I have not heard back from them regarding this other than them stating that the cumulative doesn't count, they didn't even bother to check and change my overall. I know they don't look at it but still...

Last edited:
Hi, I believe that our Director of Admissions just e-mailed you again. I believe that the confusion was based upon the fact that we do not use the VMCAS overall GPA for our admissions calculations and that we do not use credits from vocational or technical schools in our GPA calculations. So, your portal GPAs are a reflection of what we use for calculations and is not always a direct match with what VMCAS reports. I hope this helps.

I contacted the admissions via phone and was told to email from my portal regarding my issue (Davis has my overall GPA completely wrong 3.54 when VMCAS and my transcripts have a 3.73). I have not heard back from them regarding this other than them stating that the cumulative doesn't count, they didn't even bother to check and change my overall. I know they don't look at it but still...

Hi, I just wanted to update applicants to UC Davis on educational cost - Typical students accepted to the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine program (both IS and OOS) receive approximately $38,000 - $42,000 in grants and scholarships over the course of the 4 years of the program. We award $6.5 million dollars in scholarships and grants every year to our DVM students. After taking this into account, our "actual" tuition and fees are approximately $22k for in state and 25k out of state. When we do the math, UC Davis is in the top ten of least expensive (most affordable) programs. We are always happy to chat with applicants about the cost of a veterinary education at UC Davis. We want our applicants to make the best choice for their individual situation - even if that means recommending another program over ours. All the best

Honestly, I don't even care anymore. Davis is my IS and would still cost more than most of the OOS schools I would rather go to. I hate the Central Valley of California. The only reason I wanted to go there is because they have good wildlife med opportunities, otherwise the cost, area, and lifestyle are just not appealing to me...

Hi, I believe that our Director of Admissions just e-mailed you again. I believe that the confusion was based upon the fact that we do not use the VMCAS overall GPA for our admissions calculations and that we do not use credits from vocational or technical schools in our GPA calculations. So, your portal GPAs are a reflection of what we use for calculations and is not always a direct match with what VMCAS reports. I hope this helps.
Thank you for replying... My gpa is still incorrect then as my overall (undergrad not technical) is a 3.73... But if my other gpas are calculated correctly then that's fine. I just didn't understand why my gpa is incorrect on there and it got me concerned...

You are welcome. With regard to GPAs, GREs, etc., perhaps this will help those that have or are planning to apply to UC Davis.

For the Class of 2018 (last admissions cycle), we accepted 140 applicants. The following are the stats of those candidates that received an admissions offer.

A. VMCAS Science GPA

Mean 3.69 Range (2.99-4.00)

B. GPA for the Last 45 Units

Mean 3.81 Range (3.33-4.00)

C. Quantitative GRE

Mean 77% Range (35%-98%)

Actual Applicant Examples:

1. We offered admission to a candidate with a VMCAS Science GPA of 2.99. This candidate also had a 3.75 GPA for their last 45 units and an 81% Quantitative GRE score.

2. We offered admission to a candidate that had a 3.33 GPA for their last 45 units. This candidate also had a VMCAS science GPA of 3.48 and a 90% Quantitative GRE score.

3. We offered admission to a candidate that had a 35% Quantitative GRE score. This candidate also had a 3.92 GPA for their last 45 units and a VMCAS science GPA of 3.96.

The average PPI score for these candidates was 4.2

I hope that this helps to demystify the process.
All the best

Thank you for replying... My gpa is still incorrect then as my overall (undergrad not technical) is a 3.73... But if my other gpas are calculated correctly then that's fine. I just didn't understand why my gpa is incorrect on there and it got me concerned...

Well got my official rejection tonight. Boo. Oh well it was what I was expecting with my average gpa. :(

Well got my official rejection tonight. Boo. Oh well it was what I was expecting with my average gpa. :(

Me too :confused: Hopefully someone else will want us. I think we have a applied to some of the same schools (ex. Ohio hehe). Sending good vibes your way!!!

I got my interview invitation some time last week so I was pretty happy but this was in ignorance of their selection process. After reading that their selection is purely based off of numbers for the first cut, suddenly I feel very grateful for being IS... Especially after seeing all of your guys' GPAs!

Science: 3.40
Cumulative: 3.44
Last 45: 3.62
GRE Quant: 157

So yeah I'm pretty sure I BARELY made the cut, kind of mind blown that I actually got an interview invite when they read no other part of your application... Or maybe my PPI's were impressive? Don't really know to be frank haha.

Good luck to all of you still waiting for an invitation!! There are 2 spots left!

Last edited:
No matter where we applied and where we get interview, Good luck everyone. Let's all become the class of 2019! (This is a small field. I am sure we will have all our paths cross many times in the future in different places by conferences, colleagues, and etc. Keep spirit up and keep going. Never give up. We will get there eventually.)

Congratulation to everyone with interviews (for any school!)

P.S. Now back to study....

Last edited:
Is there anyone have MMI experience? I'm an international applicant and don't have the related experience! MMI is different from the traditional interview, I'm confused about it. How should I prepare for it T.T

From what I've heard they'll ask you all kinds of situational questions aimed to try and see how you work in a group, if you have solid ethics, etc. They can ask you anything they want, but they mainly want to see that youre able to comprehend different viewpoints and still have your own opinion. You'll have about 3 minutes to read a prompt and 7 minutes to respond in front of someone. There is not really a way to prepare other than reading practice prompts online and practicing trying to take up 7 minutes with a response to them.

Everyone I've talked to says to expect to walk out of the interview feeling like you totally failed it. Just try to relax and know that everyone is in the same situation you are in :)

Thanks for your helpful message! My interview is on Dec. 12.......and my final is Dec 15-16...it sucks..I only have limited time to prepare for it..I will give some feedback when I come back from UCD..Good luck everyone!!!

Is there anyone have MMI experience? I'm an international applicant and don't have the related experience! MMI is different from the traditional interview, I'm confused about it. How should I prepare for it T.T
I've never gone through an MMI either, but I remember someone on SDN mentioning this book ages ago: Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics (Rollin). It's available on Amazon Prime and Kindle...but it'll set you back $50-60+. :/ I actually just received my copy, so I can't tell you yet if it's actually useful. I can tell you this book has been an ethical slap in the face so far. Which I, as a narrow-minded non-philosopher, really appreciate.

I also started looking at MMI sample questions from med schools (e.g. multipleminiinterview[dot]com).

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Hi, all! I received a message back in November notifying me that I was on the interview waiting list. It's way past when they should have notified me on whether I got off the waiting list so I assume there's not interview spot for me. However, apart from that I haven't received any more messages.

Is anyone in the same boat as me? I'm kinda just waiting for a rejection at this point.

Anyone else interviewing next Monday (the 15th)? Super excited but super nervous too. Hopefully the weather will be nice and sunny, it's been raining on and off here in Davis lately.

Good luck on everyone having interviews this week!! Arrive early and stay dry... Maybe bring two sets of cloths? (change to suit in the building?)

Last edited:
Good luck on all the interviewers tomorrow! (Including me, pat on the back that we make it this far!)

At the mean time.... Oh man, yes, I am freaking out about MMI....

You must be interviewing now (so it's too late), but tbh I had a ton of fun with the MMI. Ran out of time on a handful and spewed nonsense for a few more, but it was genuinely and surprisingly really enjoyable. So don't stress out, be thoughtful, and have fun! :)

Thank you Sorasea... Yeh i was quite nervous and did run out of time for few as well... We will see how they grade it.

So much wanna talk about it but can't..

Yesterday was the last day of interviews...Does anybody know when they will notify us of acceptances??? :boom:

Has anyone heard any updates from UCD yet? The interviews were about 3 weeks ago and I haven't stopped thinking about them since!!