UC Davis c/o 2019 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A heads up for those of you looking to live outside of the city: When you start clinical rotations and you're on call, you are required to be within 10-15 minutes of the hospital (I can't remember if it's 10 or 15). It's not a problem your first two years, but starting spring your 3rd year you'll need to be able to comply with that.

It's 20 minutes :) I've gotten ridiculously good at mapping out at that distance depending on current traffic patterns. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome, couldn't remember lol. I have another year before clinics, so I'm being willfully forgetful.

To be a total troll ;) I live in Dixon and much prefer it over woodland. Currently in my 4th year and have yet to hit traffic on the way to or from school. Occasional traffic on the weekend but you just jump onto the frontage road and you're good to go. It takes me less time to get to school than folks in Woodland.

It is definitely a matter of personal preference. I just wanted to provide another option. Good to know about the traffic. I don't drive on 80 often so I am definitely not an expert. I just have hit traffic a few times, but that could have been only on the weekends. A frontage road would take care of that problem though. Commute time would depend on where you live in the cities as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for mentioning about the on-call time... Definitely need to watch out for that. Living around campus will be lovely, but it depends on the rent...

Congrats to those of you accepted to Davis!! I didn't necessarily love vet school, but I can't imagine having done it anywhere else.

As for living situations... I lived in Davis for 2 years and in Sacramento for 2 years. The difference in rent was crazy. In Davis, I paid $965 for a really small one bedroom place, no W/D, no utilities covered. And I had to really search for that place and price. In Sacramento, I paid $860 for a very large 2 bedroom place with W/D in unit and the water and heat covered. The high rent in Davis is obviously mitigated if you live with roommates.

The culture is pretty different as well. My apartment complex (N. Davis) constantly had undergrad parties, and it just got old. My complex in Sac had families, young professionals, and going out felt more like I lived in a city than in a college town, which was really refreshing after Davis, since I'm older, married, and from a very large city (L.A.).

I lived in Sac during fourth year, it's really not a big deal. It's about a 20-25 minute drive, and of course in the middle of the night that meant it took me at the very least 30 minutes to get there, and it was never once mentioned. They don't sit there with a stopwatch, they just want you to be there in a reasonable amount of time.

It guess it all depends on what you want. If you want to have a few roommates and love the culture and nightlife of a little college town, Davis is great. I personally wanted to live alone (my husband and I were LD the entire time), had done *plenty* of partying in my 20's, and needed more of a city feel when at home and out for dinner and drinks. But don't let the on call thing deter you from living outside of Davis if that's what you want. I had zero issues (and I have the worst on call luck ever. Every. Single. Time.) and they let me graduate ;)

Reactions: 2 users
I'm about to move 35 minutes from campus in a couple weeks. Rebel. ;)

Anyone can comment for Stonegate community at West Davis? I heard a number of vet students live there...

Hello everyone:

I applied to UC Davis last year but didn't get an interview invitation due to my "low" GRE scores. I am going to repeat the GRE this month and apply for second time.

I would like to know how did you guys prepare for the GRE quantitative section..?

I have seen really high GRE scores posted in this thread!!

*OOS applicant