UC Davis In-State Tuition Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MotoMadchen

Pizza is love. Pizza is life.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help clarify in-state tuition requirements for UC Davis? I'm still working on my undergrad and not near applying, but I have been putting a lot of thought into where I will be applying. I have 2 questions:

Can you pay IS tuition if you went to undergrad OOS, but have a permanent address in California? My parents live in California and my "Permanent Address" is still there, but I currently go to school in Mississippi, so I definitely will not have physically been in the state for the 366 days before the beginning of the term. I suppose I could establish residency later on, but it's expensive enough to go to Davis (what with California public universities' severe lack of scholarships in my opinion) in the first place.

If not, how difficult is it to establish residency as a (previous) resident of another state? I'd like to establish residency in Mississippi while I'm here so that if I decide to go to MS State I can pay as a resident (residency cannot be established after accepting admission), but I'm afraid it would make it more difficult to become a resident there if I go to Davis.

Thanks in advance!!

(And as a disclaimer, sorry if this question has already been answered. I did my best to do a search before opening a new thread but this is my first thread and I'll admit I don't know the forum so well yet!)

Members don't see this ad.

I think since you've been in Mississippi for education purposes, you're not a Missisippi resident, you're still a Cali resident. @Ashgirl , you had something similar, right?

I think since you've been in Mississippi for education purposes, you're not a Missisippi resident, you're still a Cali resident. @Ashgirl , you had something similar, right?
Yep, that's what happened with me anyways.

Definitely check with the school, as some have different policies. For my school though, all I needed to prove was that I went to college for full time and then based on my high school/parents' address, I got IS right away, regardless of what undergrad I went to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, that's what happened with me anyways.

Definitely check with the school, as some have different policies. For my school though, all I needed to prove was that I went to college for full time and then based on my high school/parents' address, I got IS right away, regardless of what undergrad I went to.

I'm definitely still a California resident, at least until I surrender my license and file my taxes otherwise, but UC Davis defines their in-state tuition "resident" in a very specific way: http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/tuition/residence/index.cfm

No need for you to do extra research :) I just wanted to see if any UC Davis students saw themselves in the same situation.

I quote from the website, correct me if I'm wrong..

"
  1. The adult student (at least 18 years of age) and parent must be a U.S. citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident or other eligible immigrant, or an eligible non-immigrant.
  2. The adult student (at least 18 years of age) and parent must have been physically present in the state for 366 days prior to the first day of instruction (the UC Residence Determination Date) of the term for which he/she wishes to be considered a resident;
  3. And have demonstrated intent to make California his/her legal permanent home, as opposed to coming to California solely for the purpose of attending school.
  4. Students under the age of 24 must be financially dependent upon parents who meet the aforementioned requirements, or the student must meet the UC Residence Policy's financial independence requirement. Parent residence and financial independence are not a consideration for students age 24 or older."

Sounds like as long as you are under 24, and your parents have lived here and have provided for you financially, you are okay.
However, I don't know your situation.

I go to school out of state, so I will not have really been physically present for 366 days prior to the first day of instruction, so I'm not sure if I meet #2.

Students under the age of 24 must be financially dependent upon parents who meet the aforementioned requirements, or the student must meet the UC Residence Policy's financial independence requirement. Parent residence and financial independence are not a consideration for students age 24 or older

i.e. Your parents being present in the state for 366 days.