UC Davis new evaulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texguyincali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just saw today that UC Davis has some new ways of evaluating applicants. They are utilizing the PPI, and interviews ate now the MMI format. Also it looks like they are looking exclusively at the Quantative scores of the GRE instead of quantative and verbal. Am I seeing that wrong? I hope so, because I do better with the verbal than quantative sections.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure? The website hasn't changed from last year from what I can tell. Do you have a link?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmmmm

Well the best place to get info is directly from the source. VMSAR and these other places get a lot of info wrong (like my IS tuition. God was that a nightmare). I would email admissions to see if this is a change they are implementing. Seems to be a lot of changes, so I highly doubt it. You never know though!!

Hmmmmmm

Well the best place to get info is directly from the source. VMSAR and these other places get a lot of info wrong (like my IS tuition. God was that a nightmare). I would email admissions to see if this is a change they are implementing. Seems to be a lot of changes, so I highly doubt it. You never know though!!

I agree with your point in general. :) The Davis Admissions site seems to still be set for 2012 matriculation. VMCAS made a point of emailing about it (and changes at SGU) today, so I tend to think these are real changes... but without emailing/calling/seeing it on Davis' website, who knows.

I can confirm that this is most likely the case. We have been hearing rumors about it. :)

I can confirm that this is most likely the case. We have been hearing rumors about it. :)

What?!?!? Seriously?!?!?!?!

I'm SO glad I applied this year then. Colorado had that PPI stuff and it was a bare. And MMI? AGHHHH!!!

Sorry, C/O 2017 hopefuls :scared:

Also included in the changes for this year, apparently there will be a supplemental application...

"UC Davis Supplemental application due Friday, November 2 at 5:00 pm (Pacific) – the supplemental application will be available online by October 15th."

Also included in the changes for this year, apparently there will be a supplemental application...

"UC Davis Supplemental application due Friday, November 2 at 5:00 pm (Pacific) – the supplemental application will be available online by October 15th."

i saw that too. Geez. sooo many changes.

but at least its november, not october? guess they want that supp fee!

Can anyone explain more detail about PPI and/or MMI please?? TigerWillow's comment is kind of freaking me out, to be honest... :scared:

Can anyone explain more detail about PPI and/or MMI please?? TigerWillow's comment is kind of freaking me out, to be honest... :scared:

http://www.ets.org/ppi

The PPI is an ETS thingy that your recommenders fill out. My recommenders haven't complained, and it doesn't look so awful to me... but I don't know what the schools do with it, if they ask you about the recommenders' answers, etc.

PPI isn't really a problem for YOU persay, but it's an additional thing your reccommenders will have to fill out. I had an elderly teacher who was computer illiterate try to fill it out. Just stay on top of your selected people. All of mine completed that thing last minute.

as far as MMI goes, I only heard about NCSU's (I think they have it) and just how horrible that is. Dunno personally.

The PPI is an ETS thingy that your recommenders fill out. My recommenders haven't complained, and it doesn't look so awful to me... but I don't know what the schools do with it, if they ask you about the recommenders' answers, etc.

You would think it doesn't look awful! But some people weren't even looked at at colorado state last year b/c some PPI's weren't filled out. It sucks when it isn't your fault that something isn't completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would think it doesn't look awful! But some people weren't even looked at at colorado state last year b/c some PPI's weren't filled out. It sucks when it isn't your fault that something isn't completed.

Good to know! I agree, it does suck that CSU didn't even consider people over this. One of mine is already done (I know, I know, too Type A...) and the other two recommenders are very responsible and computer literate (and have to work with me several times a week, so I can nudge them about getting it done...).

MMI is not all that bad! (At least at OVC)

The hardest part is not dwelling on the previous station when you feel like you effed it up and focusing on the next. But that's also the best thing about this format - if you screw up on one station, you can redeem yourself on the next with a whole new scenario and new interviewers. I personally liked the MMI format even though I didn't do amazing (I got the mean score, so I did average), mostly because there really is no way you can prepare for it, which made it less stressful for me in the days leading up to the interview.

Having just Googled "MMI interview" and found an explanation and some sample questions, I am also scared and going to make sure all of the schools where I'm applying don't require this!

Yeah... Saw this this morning. I was already on the fence about UC Davis because of the price. So this made me say, urm, no thanks!

I agree MMI seems kinda duanting, but hey I'll throw my hat in the ring, I mean its not like I am not going to the interview if I get offered it! On the bright side about the PPI, once you have it done from your selected people, its good for 5 years meaning you dont have to ask people again and again and again to fill them out in you have to reapply again. I did it last year for colorado, so all I had to do was log into my PPI account and resend the PPI evals out to the schools (colorado and now davis), easy easy.

From someone that went through VMRCVM's MMI this past cycle, I just wanted to say that I actually much preferred the MMI format as opposed to the traditional interview format -- and I was absolutely TERRIFIED for that interview also, I had noooo idea what to expect! But I actually had a really great experience! There's several interviewers, so if you don't make a connection with one it is okay because there are others you might have a much better time with, and since each is a completely different scenario there are many more opportunities to REALLY showcase a lot of different qualities about yourself rather than a interview with one person where you may not get to touch on things about yourself that you really wish has been brought up in some way.

So for all you future C/O 2017'ers, don't be discouraged!!!! It sounds REALLY scary and daunting but I promise it is SO much better than it seems; believe it or not, but I even thought the MMI format was well, FUN! Don't let it keep you from applying at all!!!! :)

From someone that went through VMRCVM's MMI this past cycle, I just wanted to say that I actually much preferred the MMI format as opposed to the traditional interview format -- and I was absolutely TERRIFIED for that interview also, I had noooo idea what to expect! But I actually had a really great experience! There's several interviewers, so if you don't make a connection with one it is okay because there are others you might have a much better time with, and since each is a completely different scenario there are many more opportunities to REALLY showcase a lot of different qualities about yourself rather than a interview with one person where you may not get to touch on things about yourself that you really wish has been brought up in some way.

So for all you future C/O 2017'ers, don't be discouraged!!!! It sounds REALLY scary and daunting but I promise it is SO much better than it seems; believe it or not, but I even thought the MMI format was well, FUN! Don't let it keep you from applying at all!!!! :)
Thanks for that, it is definitely great to hear from someone who has lived through the MMI and didnt come out a broken soul! haha

MMI! :clap:

I cheer only because VMR's adcom has been telling me MMI is a growing format since they implemented it, and I never believed them. ;)

MMI format made me very uncomfortable. In a regular interview there's a lot of opportunity to read your audience and garner feedback. Because the MMI is scripted (at least partially), there's really no way to tell if your interviewer is staring at you in stony silence because they're supposed to, or because you're completely bombing your scenario.

I ignored almost every piece of advice I've ever gotten regarding MMI format (true story), but I guess I did alright. :laughs: What they're really looking for, I guess, is more about "soft" skills; not just what you're saying but more importantly how you're saying it - and how you're presenting yourself while you're saying it.

Anyway, to the whole topic - that is a LOT of change to be springing on new applicants! One or two of those adjustments would be plenty in one go, imo!

I think the PPIs are annoying because it makes me worried that people will be less likely to agree to write eLORs if they have to do it a gazillion times.

I imagine this will cut down in OOS applications if they really do implement it. I think a lot of people I apply there because it has no supplemental....

This can't be real. Interviews late November through early December? Pssssh!

So theoretically the supplemental application can be posted on 10/15 and then you have just over 2 weeks to get it and finish it?

That better be one easy supplemental.

Never heard of it, but anything involved with ETS is highly suspect in my mind. They must have done a good job selling this to schools as another way for them to make money off of questionable theories.

So theoretically the supplemental application can be posted on 10/15 and then you have just over 2 weeks to get it and finish it?

That better be one easy supplemental.

That's how Michigan state's supplemental is or rather you have two weeks once you receive it to complete it. It's definitely doable.

Honestly, the evals who did my PPI last year for CSU did complain that its a big pain to do it on top of writing eLOR's, but then the 3 I chose are very outspoken people haha. I just explained that I was sorry they had to do them as well, but there isnt much choice in the matter on my part, and they were cool about it. And as I said, the PPI's are stored by the GRE folks for 5 years so if you can get them done, you wont have to have them completed a second time if you have to reapply. That is of course, as long as you use the same evaluators the each time.

Never heard of it, but anything involved with ETS is highly suspect in my mind. They must have done a good job selling this to schools as another way for them to make money off of questionable theories.

I'm on board with your ETS skepticism. I see no value in the GRE (or the SAT, for that matter).

I haven't gone on the ETS website because I currently don't have a working laptop, but can anyone tell me if the ppi cost anything to be sent?

I haven't gone on the ETS website because I currently don't have a working laptop, but can anyone tell me if the ppi cost anything to be sent?

If you've taken the GRE recently (since May 2009), you can send 4 PPI reports free. Otherwise, it's $20.

My thoughts exactly :thumbup:

This can't be real. Interviews late November through early December? Pssssh!

SERIOUSLY?!?

That is nice. I wish you and I had that. It would have saved me a lot of money flyin to places for interviews. Sigh.

SERIOUSLY?!?

That is nice. I wish you and I had that. It would have saved me a lot of money flyin to places for interviews. Sigh.

But more time waiting for school to start. I feel like the wait is long enough hearing the news at the end of March....

i agree, i would rather know earlier on if I am getting to interivew or not, so novemeber/december sounds good to me. I have no issue with waiting for school to start if I know I have gotten accepted. Then its all good.

The time before school starts first year is probably the highest point of vet school. :smuggrin:
Kind of agree. Getting into vet school is a real highlight. Being in vet school, not as much.

And I remember all the pollyannas saying THEY would enjoy it (for whatever reason) unlike everyone else. Hah. They hate it as much as everyone else now!

Kind of agree. Getting into vet school is a real highlight. Being in vet school, not as much.

And I remember all the pollyannas saying THEY would enjoy it (for whatever reason) unlike everyone else. Hah. They hate it as much as everyone else now!

Y'all are ruining my honeymoon phase of vet school :(.

I like 95% of the time. Seriously. Vet school is the bomb diggity.

I like 95% of the time. Seriously. Vet school is the bomb diggity.

You're lucky you won't have that completely smashed and any joy you find in life completely ripped away from you next year, haha. I can only assume the new curriculum will be nicer during second year, as it couldn't get any worse. Honestly, I absolutely hated second year. Third year was a million times better, and now I'm starting clinics tomorrow - terrified out of my mind, but I think I'll much prefer it to the hours and hours of coursework.

As for the new admissions stuff that Davis is implementing, it's nothing totally new - other schools have been using similar criteria before Davis. So if Davis is your dream school, don't let it deter you. The best part is that you'll know so much sooner! It was torture waiting and waiting to hear from Davis.

I'll stop taking this off topic after this, I promise...

Honestley, a lot of my class mates are hating vet school. I think it is just my continued amazement that I even got in and that I'm really here. I think it is just a difference in personalities. I am naturally an overly positive person. I've heard that our cardio respiratory block first thing next semester will probably squash even the most optimistic of us.

You're lucky you won't have that completely smashed and any joy you find in life completely ripped away from you next year, haha. I can only assume the new curriculum will be nicer during second year, as it couldn't get any worse. Honestly, I absolutely hated second year. Third year was a million times better, and now I'm starting clinics tomorrow - terrified out of my mind, but I think I'll much prefer it to the hours and hours of coursework.

As for the new admissions stuff that Davis is implementing, it's nothing totally new - other schools have been using similar criteria before Davis. So if Davis is your dream school, don't let it deter you. The best part is that you'll know so much sooner! It was torture waiting and waiting to hear from Davis.

Definitely agree that none of this stuff is new. I just think its SOOO many changes at once. But I guess, new curriculum = new admissions!

I'll stop taking this off topic after this, I promise...

Honestley, a lot of my class mates are hating vet school. I think it is just my continued amazement that I even got in and that I'm really here. I think it is just a difference in personalities. I am naturally an overly positive person. I've heard that our cardio respiratory block first thing next semester will probably squash even the most optimistic of us.
Thats me too though, I am Mr. Optimistic, to the point where I am sure some of the vet techs I work with get annoyed at my over enthuasium and I am sure future class mates will as well. I will say that when I do get into a DVM program, boy oh I tell ya, I'll be annoyingly cheery and thrilled to be there haha.