UC Davis Pre-Medical Surgical Internship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCD_SIMP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

Many of you have already heard about our program and have even made posts regarding this program. I am currently one of the Assistant Directors of the program and would like to take some time to introduce our program and address any questions.

Our program is sponsored by the Department of Surgery of the UC Davis Medical Center. You can find a link to our website on the bottom right of this link: https://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/surgery/education/critical.html

You can also find a direct link to our program using: www.premedsurgery.org

Our program advisors include many of the top Surgeons in the nation including Dr. Farmer, Dr, Galante, Dr. Wisner, and more. If you would like a full list of our faculty sponsors, please visit the following link: http://www.premedsurgery.org/people/program-coordinators/

I have included below our mission statement. However, you can find out a lot more about our program by visiting our website. Our program is open to all pre-medical students. You do not have to be a UC Davis undergraduate student. You do not even have to be an undergraduate student. The minimum requirements for our program is that you must be 17 years of age and have a minimum 2.7 GPA. While a 2.7 GPA may seem low, it does not mean that you are guaranteed acceptance by meeting these standards. We understand that getting into medical school is not a numbers game, which is why our standards are so low. We have accepted applicants with GPA's along the entire range of 2.7 - 4.0. In addition, we have accepted applicants with ages ranging from 17 - 56. Our goal is to help pre-medical students get into medical school so we encourage everyone that meets our requirements to apply. We are currently working on submitting a publication on our program outcomes. However, I can say that many of our applicants have gone on to be accepted into medical schools (including many top twenty schools).

Our Mission

The UC Davis Pre-Medical Surgical Internship, Mentorship, and Research Program is a unique and rigorous experience that exposes participants to the field of surgery by immersing them in a professional medical environment. Program components are designed to introduce the academic and clinical activities typically experienced by physicians and medical students. This competitive program is intended for individuals who have demonstrated their interest in pursuing a career as a physician. We pride ourselves in accepting participants who are responsible, mature, and committed.

Apologies for the long post but please ask any questions that you have regarding the program! If there are any program alumni, please feel free to provide your input on your experience!

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like such an awesome program. I only wish there were stipends or some sort of fee assistance to help those students out who cannot pay for everything during the duration of the program.

What's the acceptance rate? What do you look for in applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like such an awesome program. I only wish there were stipends or some sort of fee assistance to help those students out who cannot pay for everything during the duration of the program.

Yes, unfortunately, we do not provide any form of stipend to our participants. There are many programs that do provide housing/stipends but there are also programs that charge fees! Aside from housing and living expenses, our program is essentially free for pre-medical students!

What's the acceptance rate? What do you look for in applicants?

We do not disclose the number of applicants that apply for our program or the acceptance rate. We do not keep program acceptance statistics from applicants in order to prevent discouraging possible applicants from applying. Rather, we do not release them because they are not very helpful at all. On our website (www.premedsurgery.org), you can read that the minimum requirement to apply for our program is a 2.7 GPA. However, we do receive applications from applicants with below a 2.7 GPA who are immediately disqualified, thus throwing off the statistics. Furthermore, we have even more applicants that do not complete their applications (also an automatic disqualification), further throwing off the application statistics. Finally, the acceptance rate varies considerably among applicants. Your chances of getting into the program is not based off how many applications we receive but how qualified you are as an applicant for our program.

Our application review process is holistic. We do not focus simply on the answers but on your entire application. This includes your application essays, grades, experiences, letters of recommendation, interview, and more. What we want to see is applicants that have shown us that they are dedicated to a career in medicine. Good grades are fantastic but we understand that many applicants with lower grades have had to go through tremendous adversity to get where they are today. We take that into account, which is why we have numerous essay questions that allow us to learn about you as a person. Quality of the essay responses is very important because it shows us how much you really want to participate in our program. Life experiences are fantastic as well because they tell what you can bring to our program as well as whether or not you are on track as a pre-medical student. We don't expect any of our applicants to be perfect and have all the bases covered (as the cookie-cutter pre-med) but rather want to see that our applicants have taken the appropriate steps towards a successful career in medicine.

Hi I don't have any prior research experience outside of the lab components of courses I've taken and am looking for a good program to help introduce me to research. Would this be a good program to apply to?

Hello SDN community,

Many of you have already heard about our program and have even made posts regarding this program. I am currently one of the Assistant Directors of the program and would like to take some time to introduce our program and address any questions.

Our program is sponsored by the Department of Surgery of the UC Davis Medical Center. You can find a link to our website on the bottom right of this link: https://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/surgery/education/critical.html

You can also find a direct link to our program using: www.premedsurgery.org

Our program advisors include many of the top Surgeons in the nation including Dr. Farmer, Dr, Galante, Dr. Wisner, and more. If you would like a full list of our faculty sponsors, please visit the following link: http://www.premedsurgery.org/people/program-coordinators/

I have included below our mission statement. However, you can find out a lot more about our program by visiting our website. Our program is open to all pre-medical students. You do not have to be a UC Davis undergraduate student. You do not even have to be an undergraduate student. The minimum requirements for our program is that you must be 17 years of age and have a minimum 2.7 GPA. While a 2.7 GPA may seem low, it does not mean that you are guaranteed acceptance by meeting these standards. We understand that getting into medical school is not a numbers game, which is why our standards are so low. We have accepted applicants with GPA's along the entire range of 2.7 - 4.0. In addition, we have accepted applicants with ages ranging from 17 - 56. Our goal is to help pre-medical students get into medical school so we encourage everyone that meets our requirements to apply. We are currently working on submitting a publication on our program outcomes. However, I can say that many of our applicants have gone on to be accepted into medical schools (including many top twenty schools).

Our Mission

The UC Davis Pre-Medical Surgical Internship, Mentorship, and Research Program is a unique and rigorous experience that exposes participants to the field of surgery by immersing them in a professional medical environment. Program components are designed to introduce the academic and clinical activities typically experienced by physicians and medical students. This competitive program is intended for individuals who have demonstrated their interest in pursuing a career as a physician. We pride ourselves in accepting participants who are responsible, mature, and committed.

Apologies for the long post but please ask any questions that you have regarding the program! If there are any program alumni, please feel free to provide your input on your experience!
Is this still a program? The website does not seem to work anymore.

Can confirm that the program isn't running any more, at least to my knowledge. It wasn't available 2-3 years ago (first year not offered) when I considered applying.