UC Davis, School of Medicine c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatoradedrinker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title of the thread is self-explanatory. Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
my likely hood of attending is 100%...now only if I could get in:oops:

Haha, same here. Wednesday will be 14 weeks of waiting! I called almost 3 weeks ago, I guess it might be time to call again....

I'm 90% sure I'll go to Davis. I'm waiting on UCLA for personal reasons, but I definitely prefer Davis over LA

yes, I know one of the students who is planning it..although I should ask them what day it is going to be..i'll let you know asap

Hi all, I just got that happy acceptance call from Ed! He informed me that revisit day will be Saturday, April 25.

I got accepted too. I'm waiting for Davis's email letting me know what I need to do. Did anyone get a email after they got their acceptance phone call?

I got accepted too. I'm waiting for Davis's email letting me know what I need to do. Did anyone get a email after they got their acceptance phone call?

i actually asked about this last week and got the following response:

Our office had hoped that those notices would be sent by last week. Unfortunately, due to continuing computer programming delays this may not occur for another week or so. Our apologies for the delay.

does anyone know if there will be a second look day?

sorry for the late response! Ed just responded to the students at Davis to say Friday, April 24th is second look for the office of diversity and those in the Rural-PRIME. Saturday April 25th is for all MD admits and PSTP programs

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting tidbit:

ucdavis does not have a white coat ceremony... instead, their induction ceremony is one where each student comes on stage and receives an engraved stethoscope...

i was looking forward to a white coat type of thing, but what are all of your thoughts?

interesting tidbit:

ucdavis does not have a white coat ceremony... instead, their induction ceremony is one where each student comes on stage and receives an engraved stethoscope...

i was looking forward to a white coat type of thing, but what are all of your thoughts?

That *is* interesting...sucks for me because I received an engraved stethoscope last Christmas. :p

I was kinda looking forward to receiving a white coat on stage, but this way may be more practical for us students..since that's one less thing to buy ourselves! (I'm assuming we'd get the white coats anyway, just 'offstage', as it were.)

Hi -
I've never posted but I read the forums a lot. I interviewed at Davis in December and still haven't heard. It's my top choice so naturally, I'm freaking out. Is anyone else out there still waiting for their decision?

Yeah, I'm still waiting too, though I interviewed in late January. If you check out the 2008-2009 UC Davis Secondary Application thread, there's a lot more happening over there...

Patience is of the essence... :sleep:

interesting tidbit:

A white coat can be generally considered a barrier between the doctor and patient, whereas the stethoscope connects the two. I can dig it.

I finally got my acceptance email today:

Dear Applicant:

Congratulations! On behalf of the faculty of the School of Medicine at the University of California, Davis, I am very pleased to offer you a place in the first-year class that will begin in July 2009.

If you would like to be part of the 2009 incoming class, please complete the five items below.

1. Click on the Acceptance Offer tab to complete the acceptance offer within 2 weeks of receiving this email. After 2 weeks, your seat in the class will be given to another applicant.

2. If you are interested in financial aid, click on the Financial Aid tab for more information.

3. Arrange to send official transcripts from each college and/or university you have attended to: School of Medicine Registrar office, 4610 X Street, Suite 1208, Sacramento, CA 95817.

NOTE: Your AMCAS information does not substitute for the official transcripts. If you are graduating in May/June, please ensure that the degree certification (e.g., B.A., B.S., M.S.) is posted on the transcript.

4. Send completed Statement of Legal Residence by June 1. Follow the instructions below and return to the correct address as instructed - do not send to the School of Medicine Office of Admissions. http://registrar.ucdavis.edu/PDFFil...onStatementLegalResidenceInfoAndFormCombo.pdf

5. Complete all health requirements prior to orientation – see the link below for details: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ome/registrar/2013/class2013.html

The required First-Year Orientation is scheduled from July 27 - August 1. In addition, students in Rural-PRIME and PSTP programs are required to attend program specific orientations. Please do not make any other commitments for that week. Visit the link below for more information: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ome/registrar/2013/class2013.html

Mark your calendars for two additional activities before matriculation:

1. A ReVisit day is being planned for the weekend of April 24-25. We will send detailed information as it is finalized.

2. Pre-Matriculation Program July 8 – 22: A two-week academic transitional program that is an excellent introduction to UC Davis medical school for participants. Go to the following link http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/medschool/education/pre-mat_link.pdf

Sincerely,
Mark C. Henderson, M.D.
Associate Dean, School of Medicine
Office of Admissions

For others who received the acceptance email, have you been able to log into the financial aid site that's linked from the applicant page? Apparently I need a UCDavis Login ID, but I can't seem to make one from my student ID. Today's a school holiday (César Chávez day), so neither the computing nor admissions folk are reachable.

interesting tidbit:

Noooooooooo! I was really excited about the white coat ceremony :(

On a happier note, this is the first time I've been in the "allopathic" section. Yay!

Class of 2013! got accepted today :) Can't wait to meet the rest of you on the 25th!

Congrats to all the new(er) accepted folk!

In case anyone is interested, I spoke with Ed regarding revisit day, he mentioned that it's possible to sit in on an MS2 class the day before (Friday the 24th). Might be interesting to see a more "normal" day at UCD.

For others who received the acceptance email, have you been able to log into the financial aid site that's linked from the applicant page? Apparently I need a UCDavis Login ID, but I can't seem to make one from my student ID. Today's a school holiday (César Chávez day), so neither the computing nor admissions folk are reachable.

Yeah I just started this but I am also having issues. It wont let me make a UCDavis Login ID. Did you ever call?

when someone figures out the whole financial aid login thing, please let the rest of us know!

when someone figures out the whole financial aid login thing, please let the rest of us know!

I was able to make my UCD LoginID early in the week after my original post after calling IT at 530-754-HELP (4357). After supplying my Student ID, they told me that I wasn't yet in the system and I should call admissions for assistance (I called, but couldn't get a hold of anyone). I appeared in the system the day after that, but I'm not sure if my call made any difference. At any rate, I now have a functional UCD email address! :D

If you're still having problems creating the LoginID from this link (https://computingaccounts.ucdavis.edu/cgi-bin/services/index.cgi), I'd suggest calling IT first, and then admissions.

Even if you don't yet have a LoginID, you can still start submitting your financial aid material to the UCD Med folk. My MyAwards page pretty much stated that I needed to submit a bunch of forms to their office along with the usual (copies of my/parents' W-2 and 1040s). The required forms are a subset of the ones on this page:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/ome/finaid/form.html

According to the financial aid person with whom I spoke, as long as we submit (via snail mail or fax) all the required material 'in the next couple of weeks' (so I guess around a week from now), we should get our aid letter before May 15.

Hope this helps!

I was able to make my UCD LoginID early in the week after my original post after calling IT at 530-754-HELP (4357). After supplying my Student ID, they told me that I wasn't yet in the system and I should call admissions for assistance (I called, but couldn't get a hold of anyone). I appeared in the system the day after that, but I'm not sure if my call made any difference. At any rate, I now have a functional UCD email address! :D

If you're still having problems creating the LoginID from this link (https://computingaccounts.ucdavis.edu/cgi-bin/services/index.cgi), I'd suggest calling IT first, and then admissions.

Even if you don't yet have a LoginID, you can still start submitting your financial aid material to the UCD Med folk. My MyAwards page pretty much stated that I needed to submit a bunch of forms to their office along with the usual (copies of my/parents' W-2 and 1040s). The required forms are a subset of the ones on this page:

According to the financial aid person with whom I spoke, as long as we submit (via snail mail or fax) all the required material 'in the next couple of weeks' (so I guess around a week from now), we should get our aid letter before May 15.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, helps A LOT! I'll be calling tomorrow =D

Hey all,

Congrats on getting accepted! I'm currently a first year. Never really post on here much, but I wanted to let those waiting to hear back post-interview that currently 60 applicants have been accepted (and they usually shoot for accepting around 150 or so to fill a class of 100)...

thanks for the info, i quoted this in the secondary thread where the post interview people are dying! You'll get people there that are going to love this news

Go here for the people that are dying --> http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7972151#post7972151

who else plans to attend revisit day on the 25th? is anyone getting in to sac the night before? maybe a group of us can meet up and go out or something? (dinner, bar, whatever)... just throwing it out there - anyone interested?

Hope this helps!

When I called Friday, they also told me it would take one business day to activitate the student account.

In addition, once you get your computing account, it takes another 24 hours to activate your MYUCDAVIS (which includes your email account).

who else plans to attend revisit day on the 25th? is anyone getting in to sac the night before? maybe a group of us can meet up and go out or something? (dinner, bar, whatever)... just throwing it out there - anyone interested?

I'll be going on the 25th. The night before sounds fun :)

BTW I did both my undergrad and grad school in Davis ...guess i can't get enough of UCD :love:

any facebookers out there? we should start a group ...

Hey you guys! I just wanted to say congrats on making in to UCDSOM!! I'm a second year here, and if you guys have any questions about stuff n' things (where to find housing, the induction ceremony, whatever) feel free to shoot 'em my way.

Y'all have made a good choice coming here! Be excited, and enjoy this, the best part of medical school (you got the acceptance, but have yet to do any of the work, :laugh:)!

so what exactly is up with the induction ceremony... most schools have a white-coat type of deal, but i guess davis is doing a stethoscope thing? how exactly does it work? from some old pictures, it seems like everyone is also wearing a white top - this couldn't have been coincidence...
?

so what exactly is up with the induction ceremony... most schools have a white-coat type of deal, but i guess davis is doing a stethoscope thing? how exactly does it work? from some old pictures, it seems like everyone is also wearing a white top - this couldn't have been coincidence...
?

From a circa-2005 SDN post regarding the UCD induction ceremony:

"... I think they will ask you to wear a white top and black skirt/pants. They take a class picture and want everyone to look matchy matchy since you will not be wearing a white coat"

That may explain it!

?

Wanderingw got it right; they just asked us all to wear white tops so we wouldn't look like such a motley crew.

But yeah, in answer to your question what they do is give you/present you with a stethoscope, and a medallion with your name engraved on it. They're not the highest quality pieces of equipment, but they seem to serve well enough. There are speeches and all that - it's actually quite a warm and fuzzy experience. And the parents like it, lol.

The white coats we have to buy ourselves. I simply picked up mine at the university bookstore. Also, if I remember correctly the class retreat is a few days before the induction ceremony, so you'll have a chance to gel with your classmates a bit beforehand.

Wanderingw got it right; they just asked us all to wear white tops so we wouldn't look like such a motley crew.

But yeah, in answer to your question what they do is give you/present you with a stethoscope, and a medallion with your name engraved on it. They're not the highest quality pieces of equipment, but they seem to serve well enough. There are speeches and all that - it's actually quite a warm and fuzzy experience. And the parents like it, lol.

The white coats we have to buy ourselves. I simply picked up mine at the university bookstore. Also, if I remember correctly the class retreat is a few days before the induction ceremony, so you'll have a chance to gel with your classmates a bit beforehand.

any thoughts on housing? I dont really know what each area is like, so could you please kinda give us a rough idea of the neighborhoods around school and where you recommend we should look?

Thanks for helping!

any thoughts on housing? I dont really know what each area is like, so could you please kinda give us a rough idea of the neighborhoods around school and where you recommend we should look?

Thanks for helping!

Yeah, housing around here can be a little bit tricky. There are some really good neighborhoods, and some kinda funky ones you want to watch out for. I'm only really familiar with the areas right around the med center, so stuff farther than a mile or two away I'm no much help. But here's what I got:

The areas directly adjacent to the med center are pretty good; the area you sort of want to watch out for is Oak Park. The neighborhood is sort of in the middle of a gentrification phase, so you have some really nice areas, but a few blocks down it can get pretty sketchy pretty fast.

(I'd have google maps up when I read this following section; can get a bit confusing otherwise, lol. If you google "broadway and stockton, sacramento CA" you should be able to see most of what i am talking about)

Generally anything to the southwest of the Broadway-Stockton intersection is pretty sketchy. Also, the west side of Stockton (north of Broadway) up to about 2nd Ave is kinda a funky neighborhood, but almost literally once you cross 2nd on your way north, the neighborhoods get A LOT nicer.

Southeast of the Broadway-Stockton intersection can be kinda funky as well, but the farther east you go, the nicer it gets. The area right around Tahoe Park is pretty nice, and the area north of Broadway in the mid to upper 50s is nice as well (that's where I'm living at the moment).

Some of the nicest areas are probably around T street, just to the northeast of the medical center. Lots of upper middle class, doctors, etc live there. Also, the area around Miller/Gerber/Sherman to the west and northwest of the hospital are quite nice.

One thing I would suggest is searching on craigslist. There are plenty of listings on there. Search terms for sacramento I would use are "Tahoe Park," "elmhurst," "ucdmc," "med center," "east sac," etc. Additionally, I would highly recommend just taking an afternoon to drive around (maybe second look weekend?) and get a feel for the neighborhoods. I actually found my place here as a first year by driving around the neighborhoods looking for "For Rent" signs calling landlords on my cell phone.

I think that there will also probably be a fair amount of new housing opening up starting now and running up until June/July as the graduating 4th years skip town to move to their new internships, as well as possibly some re-shuffling of housing arrangements by the current first years, who start their summer break in about a month.

I think you can expect rent to range from around 500/month up to maybe 650 or 700 (per person) if you want to share a 2 bedroom/1 bath place, with utilities maybe being an additional 50 or 60. A good chunk of the housing around here is like that; a 2 bedroom/1 or 2 bath place. There are some 3 or 4 bedroom places, but they tend to be a little more rare. If you want to live by yourself, there are some good options, but will probably run you from 650 up to maybe 850 or 900. The price variation depends a lot on how close you live to the med center.

There is plenty of other easy and cheap housing in Sac that is either driving or biking distance. The med center has a parking lot and parking passes and stuff, as well as bike racks near the med school, so it's not hard to do. I just like walking :)

Anyhow, I hope that answered your questions about housing! If there's more you want to know about a particular neighborhood, or what have you, just let me know.

thanks so much! I've been doing a lot of searches lately (its so exciting!) and this info will really help!

I cant seem to find the revisit day schedule... did they move the link to somewhere else? were we supposed to rsvp?

I cant seem to find the revisit day schedule... did they move the link to somewhere else? were we supposed to rsvp?

I don't think they ever sent details for revisit day apart from what we received in the acceptance email:

1. A ReVisit day is being planned for the weekend of April 24-25. We will send detailed information as it is finalized.

Though if I'm wrong or someone discovers a link, please pass it on! I'm expecting that we'll hear more sometime this week, since April 25 is coming up.

when did you get a link to a revisit day schedule?

There is no link, however I asked them for a preliminary schedual since I had to buy my airline tickets and they did send it to me:

P.S. Join the facebook group and start putting your comments there

April 24th, 2009

11:30 – 12:00pm Registration
School of Medicine 1st Floor Lobby

12:00-1:00pm Welcome and Lunch
School of Medicine 2nd floor

1:00-2:00pm Medical Student Panel

Room TBA
2:00 – 5:00 pm UCDHS Physician Shadowing
Locations TBA
5:00 – 6:00 pm Free Time

6:00 – 7:00 pm Welcome Reception
Mind Institute Aditorium

7:00 – 8:00 pm Dinner
Mind Institute Aditorium

April 25th, 2009

9:00 am Continental Breakfast
2nd floor lobby

10:00 – 1:00 pm Clinic Tour & Shadowing
Shuttles provided
Imani Clinic, Paul Hom Asian Clinic, Tepati Clinic
1:00 – 4:00 pm Free time Sacramento tour
4:00-6:00 pm BBQ

Courtyard by Marriott Hotel

are we allowed to bring someone with us?

I hope so, or im gona have a really pissed off girlfriend....

:mad:"First you get into this medical school and now your gona make a whole lot of new friends and i dont get to meet them?!?!":mad:

gezz I hope so....:oops:

Hey all,

I'm a first year student at UC Davis, so if you have Q's, let me know.

As for the revisit, the first year students are going to have a party friday night for the revisit students, so i'll make sure to have Ed send out an email and to post the info on the facebook group.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Congrats!

bruinator,

thanks a bunch for the offer... i know this might take you some time to get through, but would you mind touching base on the following list of questions? i'm sure it'd help us (as well as future acceptance holders) make the most informed decision. also, your insight could help us to be arrive better prepared to ask the most pertinent questions during the revisit.

if you decide to answer some of these, thank you so much in advance!

Curriculum
1. Are there any special programs for which this medical school is noted?
2. Describe this school's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years. Are there any innovations, like Problem-Based Learning?
3. Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?
4. Is there a note-taking service? If so, is it university-run or student-run?
5. Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses (accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?
6. Has this medical school, or any of its clinical departments, been on probation or had its accreditation revoked?
7. How do students from this medical school perform on the National Board Examinations? How does the school assist students who do not pass?

Evaluations
8. How are students evaluated academically? How are clinical evaluations performed?
9. Is there a formal mechanism in place for students to evaluate their professors and attending physicians? What changes have been made recently as a result of this feedback?

Counseling/Student Support
10. What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children?
11. Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both?
12. How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women?

Facilities
13. Tell me about the library and extracurricular facilities (i.e., housing and athletic/recreational facilities).
14. Are there computer facilities available to students? Are they integrated into the curriculum/learning?
15. What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural settings—are available or required for clerkships? Does this school allow for students to do rotations at other institutions or internationally?
16. Is a car necessary for clinical rotations? Is parking a problem?

Financial Aid
17. What is the current tuition and fees? Is this expected to increase yearly? If so, at what rate?
18. Are there stable levels of federal financial aid and substantial amounts of university/medical school endowment aid available to students?
19. Are there students who have an "unmet need" factor in their budget? If so, where do these students come up with the extra funds?
20. Are spouses and dependents/children covered in a student's budget?
21. Is someone available to assist students with budgeting and financial planning?
22. Does this school provide guidance to its students, and to its graduates/alumni, on debt management?

Student Involvement
23. What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation?
24. Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service?
25. How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations?
Policies
26. Is there an established protocol for dealing with student exposure to infectious diseases? Is disability insurance provided to cover this exposure?
27. Does this school provide, or does the student pay for, vaccinations against Hepatitis B or prophylactic AZT treatment in case of a needle-stick or accident?
28. Is there a school Honor Code? Is there a grievance process/procedure? Are the students involved?
Residency
29. May I see a list of residency programs to which this school's recent graduates were accepted?

Questions to Ask Yourself
30. Does this school have strengths in the type of medicine (primary versus specialized care, urban versus rural practice environment, academic medicine versus private practice) that I will want to practice?
31. Would I be happy at this school (for at least the next four years)?