UC Davis School of Medicine-Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IknowWonderful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like every other school has one of these threads except for Davis. Just thought I'd throw a little Davis representation out here!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm headed to Davis and am also a big Warriors fan. I wonder what kind of Warriors TV coverage we can get out in Sacramento (though we probably will be busy studying anyway).

I'm headed to Davis and am also a big Warriors fan. I wonder what kind of Warriors TV coverage we can get out in Sacramento (though we probably will be busy studying anyway).

I was thinking the same thing! I maybe getting ahead of myself but one of my first priorities will be to make sure I get the games on cable somehow. If not, I have to make it to a Warriors-Kings game. Good to know that there'll be someone to join me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking the same thing! I maybe getting ahead of myself but one of my first priorities will be to make sure I get the games on cable somehow. If not, I have to make it to a Warriors-Kings game. Good to know that there'll be someone to join me.
i've been reading forums on SDN for the past year and hadn't joined yet but since i'm also a davis class of 2012er/huge warriors fan, i had to comment on this thread.

i've been stuck with the lakers and clippers living in LA the past four years, and if the warriors aren't on cable in sacramento i'm gonna freak out. ill have to buy nba league pass or whatever so i can watch them...

i've been reading forums on SDN for the past year and hadn't joined yet but since i'm also a davis class of 2012er/huge warriors fan, i had to comment on this thread.

i've been stuck with the lakers and clippers living in LA the past four years, and if the warriors aren't on cable in sacramento i'm gonna freak out. ill have to buy nba league pass or whatever so i can watch them...

Awesome, my classmates seem really cool already. Are any of you guys going to be able to make it to the Revisit Event on April 11-12th? Hope to see some of you guys there!

i just got that email from Terri but i'm not going to be able to make it that weekend...can you post any info they give about housing for next year? thanks!

UCD is sooo slow on responses after interview. when did you interview?

i interviewed back in november and i heard back within 6 weeks, but i think that there was a way faster turn around earlier in the admissions cycle...you've probably checked it out already, but i know that a bunch of people on the California Schools thread have complained about the same thing over the last few weeks...

I interviewed in mid-December and heard back in 6 weeks. The decision process seems to be much slower now, I feel really fortunate to have interviewed earlier.

I'm going to the Revisit Event! Hopefully the Warriors will have beaten the Nuggets the night before and jumped back into 7th/8th. But it's not looking good :(.

Congratulations for getting into UC Davis! This is a great accomplishment and you should be proud.

Now that you're in and thinking about coming here for medical school, now what? It's time to consider housing! I'm from class of 2011. I'm looking for one tidy female roomie with no kids, no pets for next year, starting in July 1st, 2008, on 1621 35th St. It is about a mile from school. It's a very nice 2 bedroom house in East Sacramento, which is a safe neighborhood. As you may or may not know, some areas of Sacramento is kind of "sketchy" in terms of safety, and I've shopped around for different houses to rent when I was in your shoes-- it's definitely a benefit to live so close to school and feel safe at the same time. The route to school is safe, as well.

I've lived in this house for 1 year and get along very well with my current roommate, but she is moving out. The house has washer and dryer. Big living room, dining area, modest sized kitchen with electric stove, microwave, oven, and fridge supplied. Temperature indoors is cool in the hot central valley summer. Has AC and heater. One bathroom with tub and shower. Ample storage space. Big enough to be comfy in, yet small enough that cleaning it is pretty easy.

Rent is $575 a month (for you-- it's $1150 for 2 people). Plus $33 Surewest Internet, plus variable SMUD, and PG&E bills.

I can lend you my first-year books, like anatomy atlas. So if you live with me, check with me before buying any new textbooks. I'd also be happy to answer any questions about first year.

My living habits: generally go to class. Sleep slightly before midnight. Study in my room a lot after school and prefer generally quiet study time. Do my dishes every day, and clean the house periodically (sweeping and/or mopping once every couple of weeks). I'm pretty easy-going and will share some of my supplies, pots and pans, etc. I'd say I'm quite responsible about paying the bills and maintaining the cleanliness of the place, though I'm no neat freak. It'd be nice if my roomie is generally reasonably neat and not an excessive party-er in the house.

I have a semi long distance boyfriend (from Mountain View, Lockheed engineer) who will visit me and probably stay the night a couple Saturdays per month, and he can stay in my room or the living room. I'll let you know ahead of time when he's visiting and the duration of his stay. We generally spend our time together outside.

I enjoy opera, classical music, House MD, going to the free UCD gym near the med school, and cooking Chinese food which I enjoy sharing. I also played a lot of concert piano when I was back in college. People say I'm kind-hearted, grounded, funny, and a little quirky. :) I'm sure we'll have fun.

Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested to take a look at the house. I will be around on Friday April 11th after 3:15 pm (Your second look weekend) to show the house to anyone who is interested who comes to 2nd look weekend. If you can't come to second look I'm sure we can arrange something else. You guys shouldn't have any scheduled 2nd look weekend activities during that time, and I'll be available to answer any questions-- in general about med school or about the house-- that you may have.

Looking forward to hear from you!

deng, now I know UC Davis would be perfect - with fellow hardcore warriors fans! On my 10th week of waiting...

wow how the heck did i not know about this thread. Anyways, if you guys are going to 2nd look, update those of us who can't make it. And have fun!

Bump...so is there anyone that has decided to definitely attend to UCD?

Members don't see this ad :)
So...what are people thinking about the Revisit weekend that just occurred? Highlights? Lowlights? General feelings?

Highlights:
-hanging out with current students. They seem like a good bunch of people and (mysteriously) make med school look like a LOT of fun.
-2 parties in one day (including Slip n' Slide, poker, and Nintendo Wii)
-so many faculty members/students/admin representing for us

Lowlights:
-sweating profusely while wearing business casual in the hot Sacramento sun
-my host's dog ate my Chap-Stick when I wasn't looking. that little...
-the abundance of dairy products (for lactase-impaired individuals)

Suggestions: Designate an air conditioned lounge area, preferably with snacks (Marriot lounge would do, for Sat.)

Honestly though, it was an incredible weekend. I felt really special. Thanks UC Davis! :D

I think we may well have beat the old "does anyone have any more questions?" line to death this weekend, but if anyone DOES have a question they forgot, wants advice on choosing between med schools, etc I'd be more than happy to help you guys out either here on the forum or zap me a message. Good luck with your decisions guys!

I was sorry that I couldn't make it to the Revisit and meet some of my future classmates. I'm just curious, what did you guys talk about? Anything especially interesting, cool, unexpected, etc...? How bout housing advice? Thanks!

If anyone else has any reviews/summaries of the re-visit weekend, I'd love to hear it! I couldn't make it out there since I'm in DC right now.

If anyone else has any reviews/summaries of the re-visit weekend, I'd love to hear it! I couldn't make it out there since I'm in DC right now.

I had a great time at the Revisit Event. A very informative and eventful weekend was planned. There was a good turnout from current medical students and faculty who basically answered all our questions. They also fed us like crazy! I must've gained 3 pounds by the time l left.

Some key things we learned/did during the event:

1) Tour of the hospital by faculty members. This is the site where most of our clinical rotations will take place.

2) Pre-Matriculation program begins July 9th. Basically a 3 week program before orientation starts on July 28th to get a head start on classes. They also mentioned a stipend of an unspecified amount for being part of the Pre-Mat.

3) Most students live in the surrounding area, either within walking distance or a 8-12 minute drive of the school. Parking is not free, however. I also heard of a lot of students getting together to share a house. Once the class website is established, there will be a forum for students to post information to look for roommates.

4) Tour of student run free clinics. I was very impressed by the clinics as we were able to walk through four of the clinics while they were in operation. They were truly student run and seemed like a great place to get some patient interaction. They reiterated how it is possible to start volunteering at the clinics immediately upon starting med school.

There's another Revisit Program sometime in May for those of you that could not make it. My opinion is that it is definitely worth so long as you don't have to cancel any existing plans or fly across the country to get there.

I had a great time at the Revisit Event. A very informative and eventful weekend was planned. There was a good turnout from current medical students and faculty who basically answered all our questions. They also fed us like crazy! I must've gained 3 pounds by the time l left.

Some key things we learned/did during the event:

1) Tour of the hospital by faculty members. This is the site where most of our clinical rotations will take place.

2) Pre-Matriculation program begins July 9th. Basically a 3 week program before orientation starts on July 28th to get a head start on classes. They also mentioned a stipend of an unspecified amount for being part of the Pre-Mat.

3) Most students live in the surrounding area, either within walking distance or a 8-12 minute drive of the school. Parking is not free, however. I also heard of a lot of students getting together to share a house. Once the class website is established, there will be a forum for students to post information to look for roommates.

4) Tour of student run free clinics. I was very impressed by the clinics as we were able to walk through four of the clinics while they were in operation. They were truly student run and seemed like a great place to get some patient interaction. They reiterated how it is possible to start volunteering at the clinics immediately upon starting med school.

There's another Revisit Program sometime in May for those of you that could not make it. My opinion is that it is definitely worth so long as you don't have to cancel any existing plans or fly across the country to get there.

When are we supposed to get our FA package?

I thought I’d chime in with my thoughts from the revisit event. Feel free to ask me specific questions if you didn’t go, or correct me on any point if you are a student at Davis already.

Student panel
All the students were very welcoming and helpful in their comments. Even if there is some selection bias (friendlier students are more likely to show up to such an event to welcome incoming students), it was still impressive that Davis had so many students like this. They were very down to earth and emphasized the importance of enjoying medical school. As an aside, I think it is important for prospective students to consider the fact that the M1 students that you meet might not be the same type of students in your future class. This was pointed out to me by one of the M1’s who said that the M2’s were not as tightly knit. So, institutional factors that affect the learning and social environment are more important to me. From listening to the students, it sounded like the P/NP system really does reduce the sense of competition. Also, an M4 said that the clinical rotation hours are bearable, with few people ever doing 12+ hour shifts. Lastly, I heard many stories of how test dates were moved or curricula were altered to accommodate students. This type of culture can be very beneficial to some, but may also be seen as a weakness to others who are worried that they won’t be pushed harder by their classmates and faculty.

Basic science the first two years
My tourguide (an M4) felt that the basic science curriculum was the weakest part of her education. However, there is a new curriculum that was introduced two years ago (we would be the third class in it). It sounds like the curriculum underwent dramatic improvement between its first and second year, and the students were optimistic that it would be even better by the time we took it. One benefit we have that my tourguide did not is the new medical education building. I imagine that lectures utilize more cutting technology as a result (I heard that all lectures are recorded in audio, some have video).

Free clinics
I was pretty impressed with the free clinic system. I am interested in pursuing health care administration at some point in my career, so it was nice to see that student had the opportunity to operate non-profit clinics so early in their medical education. Some of the student co-directors’ duties included obtaining pharmaceutical donations, fund-raising, and recruiting attending physicians. All of the students that I spoke with (M1-M4) felt that the free clinics really prepared them for their clinical rotations since they were given the opportunity to drain abscesses, draw blood, perform pap smears, etc. as early as their first year. At one of the clinics, an M1 had drawn blood five times in the first four hours of clinic. My tourguide said that she felt very well prepared clinically compared to students from other medical schools during her away rotations. The utility of early clinical experience is widely debated on SDN, but I think that the type that is offered at Davis is more extensive and substantial than other schools (also more easily obtainable since Davis puts so much emphasis on its clinics).

Hospital
The hospital is smaller and older than other hospitals I’ve seen while interviewing, but they are building a whole new surgery and emergency services pavilion that should open in time for our 3rd year rotations. My tourguide said that students get to see a huge case mix during surgery rotations because UCDMC is the trauma center for all of California north of Sacramento (her significant other did a rotation in the Bay Area and did not see the same volume/variety). Otherwise, nothing spectacular to note here.

Other notes
The other prospective students seemed really cool, and the faculty was accessible and eager to convince us to go to Davis. I’m from the Bay Area, so housing in Sacramento seems cheap to me. Ed took us on a tour through Sacramento; I especially liked Midtown.

I'm looking for a housemate for a house right next to UCDMC at the end of july when you guys start, pm me if yall are interested.

Hey guys! Who is going to the revisit in May??? PM me :) [or post on here].

There is a re-visit in May?? I must have missed the memo. Anyone have more info? I loved UCD when I went up for my interview in Dec. but couldn't make the re-visit April date :( Also, for those of you who go to UCD or are planning to start in July....when do people usually move up there? I'm guessing most leases start at the beginning of the month. Do you move in a couple weeks early? Does anyone move in at the very beginning of July?

There is a re-visit in May?? I must have missed the memo. Anyone have more info? I loved UCD when I went up for my interview in Dec. but couldn't make the re-visit April date :( Also, for those of you who go to UCD or are planning to start in July....when do people usually move up there? I'm guessing most leases start at the beginning of the month. Do you move in a couple weeks early? Does anyone move in at the very beginning of July?

I don't know much about the second revisit weekend, but I do know a little about the housing situation up here. When I moved in up here in Sacramento, I signed my lease to begin in the middle of July (something like July 15th) so I'd have time to move my stuff in before school started. Working out deals like that I think really depends on your landlord, and whether or not he or she is willing to give you little breaks. I got the impression that a bunch of my classmates had gotten leases similar to mine or beginning in early july. But that's just an impression.

Currently, a lot of housing is getting free-ed up as the first years are getting ready to reshuffle their housing arrangements for the summer and second year (we're done on like 2 or 3 weeks), while later the fourth years will be getting ready to depart to their residencies (around June, tho some are advertising for it now). I know that doesn't exactly correspond to you guys's time table, but if you find a merciful landlord who will let you start your lease at the beginning of july or something (instead of early or mid june) it might work out. But this sort of rationale really only applies to places where there are currently med students living. There are a lot of other places in the area that will be free whenever.

Craigslist is a good place to look for housing in the sacramento area (try search terms like 'tahoe park' 'ucd med center' 'east sac' etc. to help you find stuff in the neighborhood). I actually found my place just by coming up here and driving around neighborhoods I liked by looking for for-rent signs. Also, once your class website gets put up and you get added to the list serve, it will be a lot easier for you guys to find housing as people will start advertising their free places/looking for roomies.

Anyhow, I hope that helped. If there is anything else y'all want to know about moving up here to Sac (or anything else about the whole med school thing in general) let me know.

ah yes...thanks! that helps!

hi guys :) does anyone know whether ucd has any sort of re-visit event in June? May is starting to look worse and worse for me, but i definately want to go up and visit the school/sactown/meet people at some point. Any ideas/advice?

I interviewed in feb and still have not heard anything... should i be worried?? this is driving me nuts. ucd is my top choice.

Hey everyone, I just found out that I got in last Friday!!!! Is anyone going to the second look in May? I can't wait to meet you all!

Also, is there a facebook group yet for our class? I can't be bothered checking SDN anymore (sorry! It's just a little overwhelming..)

Hey everyone, I just found out that I got in last Friday!!!! Is anyone going to the second look in May? I can't wait to meet you all!

Also, is there a facebook group yet for our class? I can't be bothered checking SDN anymore (sorry! It's just a little overwhelming..)

:):):) yay! congrats! when is the second look in May?? You should make an FB group!!

I also found out of my acceptance last Friday! Very excited for second look (May 9-10th). I tried looking for a facebook group but found nothing. Who's going to take the initiative and start one up?

wait so is there another second look may 9th-10th for sure? i haven't gotten any emails about it or anything...congrats to all the recent acceptances!

i just got the good news a couple days ago! i'm still deciding between davis and SD, though...

I created one. Join so that we can get to know one another! Search "UC Davis School of Medicine 2012"

Cheers!

I created one. Join so that we can get to know one another! Search "UC Davis School of Medicine 2012"

Cheers![/quot

hmm couldnt find it. put the link up :)

I'll be attending the May ReVisit event (yeah class of '12)! I'm going to start looking for housing at that point in time too. I'm seriously considering doing the prematriculation program, which begins July 9th, so I'm looking to move in near the 1st of the month in July.

I'd like to have a roomate and live very near campus (still don't have a car yet). I'd describe myself as someone who works when I have to, and plays when I can. And by play, I mean riding bikes, drinking a little, random dance parties, hiking, camping, rock-climbing, and connecting with others. I'm a pretty low key, open-minded gal. If you are looking for housing, could picture yourself living with me, and are thinking about moving in early July, let me know. Fa sho.

Hey everyone, I just called the Admissions Office. Turns out that the revisit in May is only for those who have self-identified as disadvantaged. So I guess the rest of us are out of luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to see if I make a trip up there on a weekend? The Admissions Office couldn't give me any :(

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'll be at the second look on may 9-10. Are you guys going to the social thing on friday? Looking forward to meeting you all!

Where did you guys find your UC Davis Student ID in order to log onto the eFan website and check your FA awards?

Where did you guys find your UC Davis Student ID in order to log onto the eFan website and check your FA awards?

I got a letter in the mail that listed my Student ID number. You can then use that ID number to create a Login ID and Password for e-mail and eFAN.

I got a letter in the mail that listed my Student ID number. You can then use that ID number to create a Login ID and Password for e-mail and eFAN.

Was your student ID number in your acceptance letter or was it in a separate letter?

Was your student ID number in your acceptance letter or was it in a separate letter?

It's in a separate letter in big bold numbers, so you can't overlook it.

Hey, I am a 24 y/o guy just starting my 3rd year at Davis and looking for a roommate. (I moved b/c I wanted to live closer to the hospital for rotations).

It's a great location, 2-3 blocks from med education building. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, shared kitchen/living area. Comes with washer/dryer. Rent is 575/month (not sure if util included). Lease starts August 1st.

I'm happy to chat more about myself or the place if interested. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. Please no smokers/pets.

Hi guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance to UCD SOM! I will be moving out of my cozy place, so I thought I'd give you guys some heads-up.

The house is within 10 minutes of walking to UCDMC. It's 2 bed/1 bath, and you'll be living with a current med student who's clean, quiet and considerate. The rent is $487.50 a month. The landlord pays for water, garbage, and internet. The cable is also free. We only pay water and gas which are about $15 per month.

There are also brandnew washer and dryer in-unit, and a large backyard with storage spaces.

The lease is month-to-month, and the room will be available starting July 1st. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Hi guys,

Congratulations on your acceptance to UCD SOM! I will be moving out of my cozy place, so I thought I'd give you guys some heads-up.

The house is within 10 minutes of walking to UCDMC. It's 2 bed/1 bath, and you'll be living with a current med student who's clean, quiet and considerate. The rent is $487.50 a month. The landlord pays for water, garbage, and internet. The cable is also free. We only pay water and gas which are about $15 per month.

There are also brandnew washer and dryer in-unit, and a large backyard with storage spaces.

The lease is month-to-month, and the room will be available starting July 1st. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thanks!

thanks

I just got the call today from Ed! I am so excited to be going to Davis!

hey guys... I'm still deciding, but leaaaning towards Davis right now.

I had a couple of questions about housing ... Is Midtown the best place for students to live? What is the average price of housing (what's a reasonable range, for when I start looking)? Do most students rent rooms? Is it possible to invest in townhouse/condo? If so, are there any good complexes near the school?

Also, when are you all looking to move to Sac-town? Orientation starts July 28th? ... I haven't gotten all my info in the mail yet (just the phone call) so I'm completely clueless. How long does that packet take to arrive after the call? I'm dyyyyying... feed me infoooo!