UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILDSU

RVC c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UC Davis SVM Class of 2021 applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cumulative GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Last 68: 4.0
GRE (Q/V/A): 165/170/5.5
Veterinary Hours: 5,000

It's my dream to go to davis!!!!!!!! <3
Wow, that's impressive! You're getting in.

Does Davis have a supplemental application?

Does Davis have a supplemental application?
Yes it does! You can't access it until after you've submitted the VMCAS though. Davis will send you an email about it.

Last edited:
It's my second time around applying to Davis. Keeping my ratite toes crossed! :xf::xf::xf:

Just submitted my application! It's going to be a long wait until interview decisions in November!

I know the numbers Davis cares about are sciGPA, last 45 GPA, and quant GRE. Does anyone know if they're equally important or weighted differently? Also, are the last 45 credits only for undergrad courses or do they consider other coursework, too?

I know the numbers Davis cares about are sciGPA, last 45 GPA, and quant GRE. Does anyone know if they're equally important or weighted differently? Also, are the last 45 credits only for undergrad courses or do they consider other coursework, too?

I'm trying to remember when I applied last year, but I'm pretty sure they're considered equally--knowing, of course, that an amazing GRE can balance out a meh GPA, and visa versa. For reference, my overall science GPA was about a 3.4, my "everything" GPA was a 3.5 but I had a 3.8 in my last 45 and a 156 in quant GRE. This is what they said on my portal:

Cumulative GPA: UC Davis and VMCAS includes the original and repeated grade in all GPA calculations even if your college did not include the original grade in the overall calculation.

Last 45 GPA: Calculation is based on a minimum of the last 45 graded semester units or 67.5 quarter units using the closest credit's term. This calculation may include any repeated coursework. This calculation is different from the VMCAS year by year calculation.

Overall Science: If repeated courses, the original grade and repeated grade will be included in this calculation. Includes all science courses in the following fields:

• Animal Science
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Microbiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Life Science
  • Other Science
  • Physics

Reactions: 2 users
I'm trying to remember when I applied last year, but I'm pretty sure they're considered equally--knowing, of course, that an amazing GRE can balance out a meh GPA, and visa versa. For reference, my overall science GPA was about a 3.4, my "everything" GPA was a 3.5 but I had a 3.8 in my last 45 and a 156 in quant GRE. This is what they said on my portal:

Cumulative GPA: UC Davis and VMCAS includes the original and repeated grade in all GPA calculations even if your college did not include the original grade in the overall calculation.

Last 45 GPA: Calculation is based on a minimum of the last 45 graded semester units or 67.5 quarter units using the closest credit's term. This calculation may include any repeated coursework. This calculation is different from the VMCAS year by year calculation.

Overall Science: If repeated courses, the original grade and repeated grade will be included in this calculation. Includes all science courses in the following fields:

• Animal Science
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Microbiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Life Science
  • Other Science
  • Physics

This is helpful, thanks! My GRE score is more impressive than my science or cumulative GPAs, and it's nice to know it could help for UC Davis.

This is helpful, thanks! My GRE score is more impressive than my science or cumulative GPAs, and it's nice to know it could help for UC Davis.

Your welcome! One thing I do want to note is I applied with essentially the same stats twice before getting an interview is my last 45 GPA being a 3.8 seem to be really helpful. I have taken probably almost 300 units of college classes because I essentially double majored, so my overall GPA was really slow to change and ditto my science GPA but the last year I applied my last 45 GPA went from 3.6 to 3.8 and that was the year that I got invited for an interview. Same GRE scores throughout , so some stronger numbers really can make up for others that aren't quite so strong

Members don't see this ad :)

• Animal Science
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Microbiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Life Science
  • Other Science
  • Physics

They are not considered equally. The last 45 semester hours or 68 quarter hours GPA carries the most weight followed by VMCAS science GPA, then quant GRE score and then letters of recommendation.

Reactions: 1 users
They are not considered equally. The last 45 semester hours or 68 quarter hours GPA carries the most weight followed by VMCAS science GPA, then quant GRE score and then letters of recommendation.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying!

Hey guys! So I submitted my VMCAS already, but I was wondering if I should also have my GRE scores sent to Davis. I know lots of schools like you to send it separately but the DVM admissions site doesn't specifically ask you to. Does anyone know? Did you submit it or just rely on VMCAS to get them the info?

Hey guys! So I submitted my VMCAS already, but I was wondering if I should also have my GRE scores sent to Davis. I know lots of schools like you to send it separately but the DVM admissions site doesn't specifically ask you to. Does anyone know? Did you submit it or just rely on VMCAS to get them the info?

This is where I sent mine, it showed up on VMCAS. I took this directly from their website, but it was slightly difficult to find.

It takes time for ETS to process requests to send GRE reports. GRE score reports must be delivered to VMCAS electronically by September 15. Send to VMCAS 4804 (UCD SVM)

Sent mine to the GRE code Davis provides (see Coopah's post)

Thank ya'll so much. Guess I just missed it :thinking: I appreciate it!! Good luck all!

From what I can tell, schools will usually mention on their website if they want you to send it both to the school and to VMCAS (Ohio does this). My friend called UC Davis admissions, and I believe she told me they said that they only want the scores sent to VMCAS.

Thank you for the clarification! Is the last 45 hours GPA calculated from undergrad only, or do graduate/post-bac/other courses count?

Has anyone received the link to the applicant portal supplemental application?

• Animal Science
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Microbiology
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Life Science
  • Other Science
  • Physics

So do they not include math courses in their Science GPA? If so that would be a life saver cause my only B's have been in calc and pre calc.

I have not! Do they send it to everyone or is this the first round of rejections?

I don't remember anything in previous years' threads about rejections related to supplementals. Most people aren't even verified in VMCAS yet, so I wouldn't worry.

So do they not include math courses in their Science GPA? If so that would be a life saver cause my only B's have been in calc and pre calc.
When I asked admissions, it sounded like they use the VMCAS calculated overall science GPA, which does not include math.

I have not! Do they send it to everyone or is this the first round of rejections?

They send the supplemental to all of their applicants. Most likely just waiting for verification to be done before they release it en masse.

I received the following email from them today - it looks like it went out to all Davis applicants:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the DVM program at UC Davis.

We anticipate importing applications from VMCAS by the end of next week, Sept. 30th. We will send you an email with information to access your Applicant Portal as soon as we import your application. The Applicant Portal contains the secondary application which asks basic information about you and requires a $60 processing fee. There are no essays to complete.

Please make sure that email from UC Davis will not be filtered from your email as spam.

Best regards,

Kim O'Bryan, Director of Admissions, UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine​

After waiting for what seems like forever, I finally got the email for the Application Portal! We'll know if we're invited to interview by November 4th. It seems like it's happening so fast!!

I didn't get the supplemental application e-mail, does admissions usually send out the e-mails in waves? Thank you so much!

I didn't get the supplemental application e-mail, does admissions usually send out the e-mails in waves? Thank you so much!

I didn't get it either, though I did get the email @Lucy410 posted on Sept. 23. They're probably just running a little behind, or maybe they're doing IS first (I'm OOS).

I'm OOS and got it yesterday. VMCAS verified 9/12, last eval submitted 9/15.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm OOS and got it yesterday. VMCAS verified 9/12, last eval submitted 9/15.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was only verified a little over a week ago, so maybe they're going by verification date. Or name, or randomly, or who knows...

I guess if I don't hear from them by the end of next week I'll email or call.

I was only verified a little over a week ago, so maybe they're going by verification date. Or name, or randomly, or who knows...

I guess if I don't hear from them by the end of next week I'll email or call.

I was verified in august, and haven't gotten the supplemental link yet so I dont think they are going by that. I'm assuming it will come sometime next week since I got the email on the 23rd.

I got the email yesterday and I was verified in August. They need to import all of our applications onto their applicant portal, which probably has to be done manually and thus takes some time to get everyone's in.

On another note, the email I got said that interviews were held on December 1, 2, 3 (tentatively), 5, and 6. However, when I logged into my applicant portal and checked the interview information, it said that interviews would be held December 11, 12, 14, and 15. Any idea which of these sets of dates is correct? I'm hoping its the first one because the second conflicts with my final exams.

I got the email yesterday and I was verified in August. They need to import all of our applications onto their applicant portal, which probably has to be done manually and thus takes some time to get everyone's in.

On another note, the email I got said that interviews were held on December 1, 2, 3 (tentatively), 5, and 6. However, when I logged into my applicant portal and checked the interview information, it said that interviews would be held December 11, 12, 14, and 15. Any idea which of these sets of dates is correct? I'm hoping its the first one because the second conflicts with my final exams.

Got it! I guess they're sending out emails as they process apps.

Yeah, the interview dates don't match. I'd contact the admissions department.

I got the email yesterday at 9am and finished the supplemental soon after. It's just demographic questions, confirming your contact info, choosing which three recommenders you want them to use, indicating which of your classes fulfill the pre-reqs, and paying the $60 fee. There's an additional step for VSTP. It's due October 17th.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I'm inclined to believe the email because I think it's more likely they just forgot to update the portal from last year. I just sent them a message and I'll report back on what they say.

The email also said we'd find out about interview decisions by November 4th... that's only a month away!! :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else find that Davis had the wrong GRE scores in their applicant portal? My Quant and Verbal scores were correct, but they had my AW as a 6 when I really received a 5.5. I messaged them about it but I thought it was strange, especially since they said it was verified against the official score report from ETS.

I was also kind of bummed that they calculated my science GPA a few points lower than VMCAS did. I'm not sure which classes they decided to include or exclude to change it... oh well.

Did anyone else find that Davis had the wrong GRE scores in their applicant portal? My Quant and Verbal scores were correct, but they had my AW as a 6 when I really received a 5.5. I messaged them about it but I thought it was strange, especially since they said it was verified against the official score report from ETS.

I was also kind of bummed that they calculated my science GPA a few points lower than VMCAS did. I'm not sure which classes they decided to include or exclude to change it... oh well.

My GRE writing score was also increased by 0.5 points. Weird.

My GRE writing score was also increased by 0.5 points. Weird.

That is weird. I wonder if the program they use accidentally rounded up everyone's scores to a whole number?

They say they only use the Quant score for evaluation so it probably doesn't really matter anyway. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
Davis is my IS and absolute #1 choice. From what I've been told, I'm a strong applicant. HOWEVER.... I just realized that the physiology course I am currently taking may not meet their standards for upper division. My pre-health advisor emailed Davis about it (since she was unsure if my course, numbered BIOL 42, is lower division), and they have not gotten back to her yet (it's been a week). I had not done the course substitution request form for this particular course because I thought it was the appropriate course as it completely matches their description of the pre-reqs. My school does its upper/lower division system strangely - classes are only consider upper division if they're graduate level courses available to undergraduates. Therefore, I think my physiology course, which is meant for undergrad juniors/seniors might not fit their requirement because in name it would be considered lower division at my university.
I'm wondering: do any of you know people who have been in similar predicaments? Is Davis super stringent on the upper division requirement? Do they double check with your university about all of the upper division courses? And if I want to drop this course and take an online upper div version, how do I indicate that on the supplement? Like on the pre-req verification page it's just a drop down list of courses you have already indicated on VMCAS. I'm going to call Davis on Monday, but this whole thing is majorly stressing me out. Am I completely screwed as far as applying this cycle?
Thanks so much in advance.

That is weird. I wonder if the program they use accidentally rounded up everyone's scores to a whole number?

They say they only use the Quant score for evaluation so it probably doesn't really matter anyway. :p

Mine was rounded up as well, so strange!

I heard back from Admissions regarding the interview dates. They confirmed that the dates are in fact December 1, 2, 5 & 6. The other dates were last year's that were accidentally left on the portal and have now been removed.

They also confirmed that the GRE half-point scores being rounded up is an IT issue they're working to correct.

Reactions: 4 users