UC Davis SVM Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,
Davis is my IS and absolute #1 choice. From what I've been told, I'm a strong applicant. HOWEVER.... I just realized that the physiology course I am currently taking may not meet their standards for upper division. My pre-health advisor emailed Davis about it (since she was unsure if my course, numbered BIOL 42, is lower division), and they have not gotten back to her yet (it's been a week). I had not done the course substitution request form for this particular course because I thought it was the appropriate course as it completely matches their description of the pre-reqs. My school does its upper/lower division system strangely - classes are only consider upper division if they're graduate level courses available to undergraduates. Therefore, I think my physiology course, which is meant for undergrad juniors/seniors might not fit their requirement because in name it would be considered lower division at my university.
I'm wondering: do any of you know people who have been in similar predicaments? Is Davis super stringent on the upper division requirement? Do they double check with your university about all of the upper division courses? And if I want to drop this course and take an online upper div version, how do I indicate that on the supplement? Like on the pre-req verification page it's just a drop down list of courses you have already indicated on VMCAS. I'm going to call Davis on Monday, but this whole thing is majorly stressing me out. Am I completely screwed as far as applying this cycle?
Thanks so much in advance.

I know my one year human anatomy and phys course didn't count but they took my one semester comp animal phys since it was upper division, hopefully they'll get back to you soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive an interview invite yet? I'm getting so anxious since November 4 is coming up!! :(

Anyone receive an interview invite yet? I'm getting so anxious since November 4 is coming up!! :(

I haven't heard anything. It looks like last year, emails/portal updates for interviews happened late in the day on the date UC Davis gave. I know it says "by November 4," but that probably means "on November 4." I'm sure as soon as people hear, they'll start posting!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything. It looks like last year, emails/portal updates for interviews happened late in the day on the date UC Davis gave. I know it says "by November 4," but that probably means "on November 4." I'm sure as soon as people hear, they'll start posting!
Just on this point, yes, they came really late in the day (7-8pm? CA time ) I was a neurotic mess for most of the day and constantly checking my email. If they follow last years pattern don't expect it till late.

Hello all!!!

Wanted your advice on my chances...I have the following

Cumulative: 3.70
Last 45: 3.76
Science: 3.71

Thank you.

Hello all!!!

Wanted your advice on my chances...I have the following

Cumulative: 3.70
Last 45: 3.76
Science: 3.71

Thank you.

It depends on whether you're in state or out of state.
In state, I think you've got a great a shot.
Out of state, it's harder to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If I recall correctly, last year's invitations were sent out before the "by date". If you didn't get an invitation by then, you were denied. But it was all a haze. I probably blocked out the memory due to trauma. Haha.

Edit: Never mind! Saw last year's thread and invites were sent out on the "by date". Waitlist notifications/ denials occur after the "by date".

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, last year's invitations were sent out before the "by date". If you didn't get an invitation by then, you were denied. But it was all a haze. I probably blocked out the memory due to trauma. Haha.

Edit: Never mind! Saw last year's thread and invites were sent out on the "by date". Waitlist notifications/ denials occur after the "by date".

So there weren't people who were informed the day after that they were receiving an interview?

So there weren't people who were informed the day after that they were receiving an interview?
Yes there were, if you were one of the lucky dogs who got off of the waitlist!

Last edited:
Yes there were, if you were one of the lucky dogs who got off of the waitlist!

So basically... if we don't receive an email on the 4th, we are either rejected or waitlisted?....AGHHHHHHHHHH

So basically... if we don't receive an email on the 4th, we are either rejected or waitlisted?....AGHHHHHHHHHH

That seems to be how it worked last year! I had my hopes strung along until it was past the interview date. Lol. By then I could infer. But some people did move off the wait list!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I read that UC Davis is really number-driven when it comes to applicants, but I was wondering if the school looks at GPAs from different undergraduate universities in the same light. In other words, does the difficulty or for lack of a better word, ranking of the undergrad school factor into GPA considerations?

Hey! I read that UC Davis is really number-driven when it comes to applicants, but I was wondering if the school looks at GPAs from different undergraduate universities in the same light. In other words, does the difficulty or for lack of a better word, ranking of the undergrad school factor into GPA considerations?

As far as I know, the formula does not include the ranking of your school - only your last 68, science GPA, quant GRE, and the ranking part of the eLOR on VMCAS.

8 MORE DAYS!!! agfkjghlkslkghaihfkwnalwkfsinbbd

Reactions: 1 users
As far as I know, the formula does not include the ranking of your school - only your last 68, science GPA, quant GRE, and the ranking part of the eLOR on VMCAS.

Yep! Earlier in this thread the Davis admissions office confirmed that the formula includes the following, in order of importance:

The last 45 semester hours or 68 quarter hours GPA carries the most weight followed by VMCAS science GPA, then quant GRE score and then letters of recommendation.

This article is from three years ago, but I thought it might be interesting to you all since it discusses some of this info. It looks like it was written by Dr. Sean Owens from the admissions office. It states that "the quantitative GRE score represents less than 5% of the overall admissions equation." I'm not sure whether things have changed since 2013, though.

Hey everyone! Based on the responses, I'm guessing (hoping) no one has received an interview invite yet. Honestly I'm super anxious so would someone mind telling me if I have a chance? I am an out-of-state applicant!

Cumulative GPA: 3.85
Last 45 hours: 3.84
Overall science: 3.85
GRE: 162, 82% Q
163, 92% V
4.5, 82% AW
Vet experience: 400 hours

I realize my scores aren't jaw-dropping amazing, but I had hoped they were competitive enough to score an interview... But now I'm having doubts! If anyone would mind giving me feedback, I would be super grateful.

Edit: forgot to include my science GPA!

Hey everyone! Based on the responses, I'm guessing (hoping) no one has received an interview invite yet. Honestly I'm super anxious so would someone mind telling me if I have a chance? I am an out-of-state applicant!

Cumulative GPA: 3.85
Last 45 hours: 3.84
Overall science: 3.85
GRE: 162, 82% Q
163, 92% V
4.5, 82% AW
Vet experience: 400 hours

I realize my scores aren't jaw-dropping amazing, but I had hoped they were competitive enough to score an interview... But now I'm having doubts! If anyone would mind giving me feedback, I would be super grateful.

Edit: forgot to include my science GPA!

UC Davis's criteria for evaluating applicants for interviews are above, and average stats are on their website. Off the top of my head, I want to say that your GPAs and GRE (they only look at the quant section) are just a touch below the average stats for out of state applicants, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got an interview. Some people in last year's thread who got interviews posted their stats there, so that's another place to look.

UC Davis's criteria for evaluating applicants for interviews are above, and average stats are on their website. Off the top of my head, I want to say that your GPAs and GRE (they only look at the quant section) are just a touch below the average stats for out of state applicants, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if you got an interview. Some people in last year's thread who got interviews posted their stats there, so that's another place to look.
It's my first time visiting this forum, and I totally forgot to check older threads so that's a good idea! And yeah, I looked at UC Davis's admission statistics for last year and my gpa is a little lower than average, but my GRE is slightly above average so I had hoped they would balance each other. I'll check the statistics for previous years well. Thank you for your input!

Interview invites are up!!

Reactions: 2 users
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOS. Got the email 8 minutes ago. Can't believe it!!! Congrats @cohen2000!

Edit: And congratulations to everyone else too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
AHHHHHHH!!! I got my interview invite! I can't believe it!!!!!

Here are my stats, for anyone interested (it really helped me to see people's stats in past years' threads). I thought my mediocre GRE Quant might be a problem so I'm really relieved to get an invite.
CA Resident
Cumulative GPA: 3.76
Last 45 Units: 4.00
Overall Science GPA: 3.65
GRE: Q156 V170 AW5.5

Congratulations to everyone else interviewing!!

Last edited:
See you all there on the 2nd
image.jpeg

I got an interview OOS! So excited! Congrats to everyone else who got interviews!
Congratulations!! Did you see it update on the portal too? Or did you only receive an email?

Congratulations!! Did you see it update on the portal too? Or did you only receive an email?

It's on the portal, too. There's an interview section with info.

I know UC Davis says they invite 10-15% of OOS applicants for interviews, but does anyone know how many OOS interviews there are and how many OOS spots? For c/o 2019 33 OOS were accepted (for 20 seats) and for c/0 2020 21 were accepted (for 12 seats).

Portal too, under the regular stuff there is a schedule interview button I can click now.

It's on the portal, too. There's an interview section with info.

I know UC Davis says they invite 10-15% of OOS applicants for interviews, but does anyone know how many OOS interviews there are and how many OOS spots? For c/o 2019 33 OOS were accepted (for 20 seats) and for c/0 2020 21 were accepted (for 12 seats).

I believe there are no specific number of seats. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but they offer admission to whomever scores highest on the MMI, regardless if they are OOS or IS. They limit OOS student by only inviting the top 10-15% for interviews in the first place.

Portal too, under the regular stuff there is a schedule interview button I can click now.

I believe there are no specific number of seats. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but they offer admission to whomever scores highest on the MMI, regardless if they are OOS or IS. They limit OOS student by only inviting the top 10-15% for interviews in the first place.

Oh, weird. I thought it would still be more competitive for OOS, but that's good news for me!

What dates is everyone getting the interview for? Is it assigned, or do you choose?

What dates is everyone getting the interview for? Is it assigned, or do you choose?

You can choose December 1, 2, 5 or 6. Last time I looked the 2nd (Friday) was almost full. I chose the 5th.

I got an OOS interview as well! Congrats everybody!!

I'll be interviewing on the 5th, OOS. Hope to see some folks there.

In State :)
Ill be interviewing on December 1st! (FIRST DAY)
Congrats to everyone and good luck to you all

IM INTERVIEWING DEC 1ST AS WELLLLLL AHHHHHH SO EXCITED!

CONGRATS EVERYONE!

Do you know if they sent interviews out at once, or are they coming in in waves? (Posting on behalf of my friend!)
I got mine around 10am!

Another Question: So when I went to select my desired interview date, it just said "Selected". It didn't take me to a new webpage nor did I receive a confirmation e-mail. Anyone in the same boat?

Do you know if they sent interviews out at once, or are they coming in in waves? (Posting on behalf of my friend!)
I got mine around 10am!

All at once I presume, like the supplemental.
Another Question: So when I went to select my desired interview date, it just said "Selected". It didn't take me to a new webpage nor did I receive a confirmation e-mail. Anyone in the same boat?
Yes, that means that's the date you've selected, no other confirmation is given. Weird and anxiety-inducing, but you're set.

Didn't get in :(

Rejections are always a gut check (and I speak from experience). Just have to trust that wherever you end up you're meant to be there for a reason, and not somewhere else (no matter how badly you want it).

You can choose December 1, 2, 5 or 6. Last time I looked the 2nd (Friday) was almost full. I chose the 5th.

I'll be interviewing on the 5th, OOS. Hope to see some folks there.

I'll be there the fifth as well! We should see each other at the pizza social if you guys can attend! Congratulations to everyone who got an interview!

I'm sorry:( did you receive an email or was it on your portal? I haven't received word of interview or denial, so I don't know where I stand yet!:confused:

Congratulations to everyone interviewing! I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who will also be there on the 5th!

To those who didn't get an interview invite today: don't be too hard on yourselves because the odds were really tough this year. The letter states that they only invited 238 out of the 1124+ who applied. That's a significantly larger applicant pool than they've had in the last few years based on the data they provide on their website.

And, not to give false hope, but I do have a friend who was called off the interview waitlist and is now at Davis. It does happen!

Last edited:
I'm sorry:( did you receive an email or was it on your portal? I haven't received word of interview or denial, so I don't know where I stand yet!:confused:

I think the word is that if you didn't hear today then you weren't invited. A bit of a bummer but not totally unexpected for me to be honest (with a GPA just shy of the 3.5 range) but it's okay! I applied broadly and hope to hear back from other schools soon!

I'm sorry...please, don't ever give up. If this is your passion, then keep fighting and Chase after your dreams!! I know it's hard right now but you will achieve greatness. It just takes time. Trust me

Congratulations to everyone interviewing! I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who will also be there on the 5th!

To those who didn't get an interview invite today: don't be too hard on yourselves because the odds were really tough this year. The letter states that they only invited 238 out of the 1124+ who applied. That's a significantly larger applicant pool than they've had in the last few years based on the data they provide on their website.

And, not to give false hope, but I do have a friend who was called off the interview waitlist and is now at Davis. It does happen!

Congratulations! Do you know if there is any way of telling if someone is on the waitlist? I haven’t definitely heard anything, but I’m assuming I didn’t get an interview...

I think the word is that if you didn't hear today then you weren't invited. A bit of a bummer but not totally unexpected for me to be honest (with a GPA just shy of the 3.5 range) but it's okay! I applied broadly and hope to hear back from other schools soon!

Who did you hear this from? I have a feeling they will send out more emails tomorrow!!! Have hope ❤️

I just got an email that I am waitlisted! Better than nothing :)

Who did you hear this from? I have a feeling they will send out more emails tomorrow!!! Have hope ❤️

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that they think they send out emails in one batch? If that's not the case that would be great! They did say by Nov 4th so there is some hope :)