UC Davis we <3 you! Michigan we <3 you, too!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureEquineVet2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is already somewhere else, but I just wanted to say to the vet students at UC Davis:

We love you guys and all of us here at VT are thinking of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Sending love from Ohio State. <3

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn Vet also sends their love! My class lost a former classmate a year ago this weeK and we remember how it all affected us. Stay strong and take care of one another!

Thoughts and love from the AVC <3

Reactions: 2 users
Mizzou sends its love to both Davis and MSU.. I can't even imagine. :cryi:

Sending a gentle hug out to Davis, Michigan and to the families involved <3

All of us at TAMU are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers, too.

Truth.

Michigan also lost someone this last week: story here.

Hang in there, UC Davis and Michigan.

My heart broke when I read the Michigan story a few days ago. That family was so close to seeing their loved one graduate and accomplish her goals. I really can't imagine what they're going through. :'(

Members don't see this ad :)
<3 to the class of 2015 especially, but of course also to everyone back at UCD.

I didn't know her that well, but I did work with her a handful of times, and she was always a pleasure to work with.

Sorry to hear about everyone's classmates who they've lost. It's like a big family, people you like and people you don't, but we're all in it together and it's sad when we lose one of our own.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys. It's been a really hard weekend and I don't think it has really set in all the way. So many questions left unanswered. For those of you not in vet school yet, you will learn soon that you get to know every single person (whether you want to or not!) over your 4 years together. You become a crazy little family and we all are feeling our missing colleague/classmate/friend.

Nyanko- Imagine how the hospital sounds at 2am...That was how it sounded all weekend long. You could hear a pin drop while we were all in and out doing treatments. :/

Whit's dog was found today which is a relief and brought some happy smiles. We really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, that's freaky and horrible. Two seniors lost in the same week. Two almost vets.

I wasn't one of Whit's close friends, either, but I talked to her several times about my problem child dog, as she had a keen interest in behavior. I am so glad that we can send a piece of her heart home with her parents; she and Rosie had an incredible bond.

I made a new FB page for posting pictures and memories of her, and I will also post information about any memorials or places to donate. Heylodeb will post here or remind me to post here, too. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/WhitneyJoyEngler

Thanks guys. It's been a really hard weekend and I don't think it has really set in all the way. So many questions left unanswered. For those of you not in vet school yet, you will learn soon that you get to know every single person (whether you want to or not!) over your 4 years together. You become a crazy little family and we all are feeling our missing colleague/classmate/friend.

Nyanko- Imagine how the hospital sounds at 2am...That was how it sounded all weekend long. You could hear a pin drop while we were all in and out doing treatments. :/

Whit's dog was found today which is a relief and brought some happy smiles. We really appreciate all your thoughts and prayers.

Glad to hear her dog was found, that must be a huge relief.

WesternU sending love and good thoughts. Glad Whit's dog was found.

The UC Davis Veterinary community is absolutely shocked. My heart goes out to all of those at MSU in the wake of their loss as well.

We are currently attempting to collect bird cages to help house Whitney's birds as they recover from respiratory stress from the incident. I know it's a stretch, but if you or someone you know in the Davis area has a cage (or cages) to donate, please PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Kelly's death was sudden and tragic. She was a wonderful, beautiful person. I will miss her..

I'm sorry for your losses UC Davis and Michigan. We lost a student last year. It makes you realize how short life is and how connected the veterinary community is.

Thank you for the support. Also, I have been told that we have enough bird supplies.

Sending our prayers from NC. I can't even imagine. If there's anything we can do for y'all, please let us know.

Mizzou is having a prayer session / lighting candles for both students later this week. Thinking of you guys!!

How terrible :( I know them feels. I lost a friend in vet school in our fourth year. He got the swine flu during the 2009 epidemic, then hospitalized with endocarditis, and then gone. He was posting on FB about feeling better and being eager to get home and see his dog and then....poof. It was completely surreal. It's still weird when I go back and think about it, even years later. Give it time to sink in - grieving over life's bad surprises is even harder sometimes than grieving over expected fates.

I went to high school with Whitney and probably wouldn't have survived AP Calculus without her. We slowly lost touch through undergrad but I remember her as the person that would always lend a helping hand. Super super nice family - it's especially tragic that this happened to someone who was so wholesome and had so much to offer.

WesternU is requesting that we wear black ribbons, that SC-AVMA provided, tomorrow and we're having a moment of silence.

Love and thoughts to California and Michigan from all the way down in Grenada too! We are so sorry for your losses, and we're having a moment of silence and a memorial tomorrow afternoon for everyone involved <3

For those whose schools aren't part of SCAVMA, can you please have someone take pictures and send them to me at [email protected]? Our SCAVMA people are coordinating with other schools but I'm not sure about the overseas schools.

EngrSC, if you have any stories of Whitney that you'd be willing to write down (or tell to a friend with a video camera) and send to me, I'm collecting stories and pictures to give to her family.

For those whose schools aren't part of SCAVMA, can you please have someone take pictures and send them to me at [email protected]? Our SCAVMA people are coordinating with other schools but I'm not sure about the overseas schools.

EngrSC, if you have any stories of Whitney that you'd be willing to write down (or tell to a friend with a video camera) and send to me, I'm collecting stories and pictures to give to her family.

Aww, that's so sweet of you to do for her family. I know I have pictures of us from high school but digging them up may be a challenge. I'll do some poking around tonight and let you know if I find them :)

Thanks, everyone. Having everyone's support means so much to us and our thoughts are with everyone.