UC Davis!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

UC Davis's secondary is now up and running, although I can still read someone else's information (this is a huge confidentiality problem in my opinion) they said to delete the other person's information and replace it with my own...

Good luck everyone!

Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

so i was doing my uc davis sec today and someone's info came up again.....do ya all know when they are going to fix it and whether there is a way to print out the entire app before submitting so we make sure that all the info is OURS and not a mixture.

also, did they extend the deadline?

Dunno but I'm going to call them tomorrow I think. It happened to me once today while I was finalizing things, so I'm not going to submit yet... although its defintely improved from before.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's down yet again. Same for everybody else?

I also freaked when I saw the other people's information. The site is down for me also.

Did you guys who received davis' secondary get transmitted really early (~7/15)? I was transmitted on like 7/31 but haven't gotten one yet. I received secondaries fairly early from UCSD and UCI though. Could this be because of the system problems that they're having?

Yeah, could be, none of us have actually turned in our secondaries so don't worry about it....

The delays in their system only make me procrastinate even more. :p

has anyone been able to contact the people at Davis? I submitted one portion of my applications already during that brief period when the website was up again, and now I am worried that my essays might be mixed up with somebody else's. I can't reach an actual person there to ask them about it. Anyone else have luck?

I'm giving them time to figure it out, I haven't called but I refrained from submitting anything on that crazy site....

I just have it all saved safely and privately in Word....

Would any of you be kind of enough to list some of the essay questions asked on the secondary?

I recall one that asked along the lines of: if there was no medicine, which field/occupation would you choose instead?

I also remember seeing that for the extracurricular activities, we have to write down a mini-essay for each category. Did they ask how each activity contributes to your decision in being a physician, or was it how each activity would make you a good physician?

Any of this sound familiar? Thanks!!

Originally posted by speedbird001
Would any of you be kind of enough to list some of the essay questions asked on the secondary?

You're lucky I took notes while the website was up... ;)

Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine?
Limit your response to 1500 characters.

If the practice of medicine ceased to exist - there were no physicians, what would you do instead, and why?

Select and respond to one of the following topics:
Which scientific advance made in the past 12 months do you think will have the greatest impact on the future practice of medicine? Please include a brief discussion in support of your choice.
Which societal change made in the past 12 months do you think will have the greatest impact on the future practice of medicine? Please include a brief discussion in support of your choice.

The UCD School of Medicine offers a broad and diverse range of educational opportunities for our students. The extent of careers that our graduates achieve includes the entire gamut of medical practice, from that of the primary physician to academic physicians in teaching and research institutuions. For the latter, a predoctoral academic program that combines the MD program with that of a Ph.D. is often chosen. The UCD School of Medicine offers a dual degree Physician Scientist Traning Program (PSTP) for suitably qualified candidates. The ph.D. segment of this program may be undertaken in any of the graduate programs on the entire UC Davis campus. There is a broad diversity of programs from which to select, including the typical MD/Ph.D. tracks in biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering, but the program can also encompass the social sciences, humanities and economics. The goal of the dual degree program is to train academic physicians to be able to make important contributions to medical care and education in the 21st century.
If you are interested in the PSTP that might allow you to meet some of the above aims, please provide a supplementary essay that would indicate your interest in pursuing a dual degree. Your comments should include your research background and reasons for pursuing a combined degree program.
Limit your response to 6000 characters.

If you have identified yourself as a socio-economically disadvantaged applicant please provide a brief statement concerning the nature of this designation. Describe its impact on your accomplishments to date and on your anticipated future in medicine.

---------------------------------------------------------
Hope that helps... Damn UCDavis computers... +pissed+

I got the UC Davis secondary via snail mail today. I am still finding it hard to believe because I never got an email or anything. And I know Davis is really big on email. Did this happen to anyone else ?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, no snail mail. Maybe they gave up on the computerized thing.

Originally posted by Violinrose
I got the UC Davis secondary via snail mail today. I am still finding it hard to believe because I never got an email or anything. And I know Davis is really big on email. Did this happen to anyone else ?

thanks!

hey,

i just got home to find a big envelope from davis which had the paper secondary. i was confused after reading the postings about the online one. maybe they are giving up on it? i guess i will just send it back on paper. and i did not receive any emails from davis prior to getting it in the mail today.

Actually, I did get the secondary but now I'm not sure about

a) whether to just print it out from word and give it to them in that format or to type it

b) whether to cut my responses from 1500 characters to 300 like it says here or not

and c) whether to mail this form in or not worry about it since i sent my check and photo weeks ago

Any ideas? Anyone talk to them?

Kevin

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Actually, I did get the secondary but now I'm not sure about

a) whether to just print it out from word and give it to them in that format or to type it

b) whether to cut my responses from 1500 characters to 300 like it says here or not

and c) whether to mail this form in or not worry about it since i sent my check and photo weeks ago

Any ideas? Anyone talk to them?

Kevin

I emailed them this afternoon. No answer as of yet. Did you already submit your secondary application via the website? Their application status still does not show the secondary app.

Argh!

does the character limit apply for the paper copy for the longer essays on pp. 2-4? or does it just have to "fit" in the box? it seems weird because with different fonts and font sizes you can fit differing amounts of text. Has anyone emailed them to ask about this?

Thanks man for the questions, MDTom!! :) I really appreciate it. Well today, I had problems logging on to the secondary application website. Chances are that all of us applicants will be getting the app via snail smail. I have yet to receive one, but with so many glitches in the computerized system, I bet that the davis people will have to give us the paper option. Otherwise, they will be very behind in processing the applications if they don't fix the website.

To those who received the snail mail, do they actually limit our responses to 300 characters each??

I'm going to wait until the snail mail comes before I contact them with questions. From the previous posts, it looks like the instructions seem very ambiguous for us here.

Can someone tell me where UCDavis is with respect to Los Angeles?

Originally posted by kwanny

Davis is roughly 400 miles north of Los Angeles and about 10-20 miles west of Sacramento.

Originally posted by kwanny

Davis is a good 400 miles away from Los Angeles, out in the middle of nowhere.... Closest big city is Sacramento, if that helps.

Thanks, speedbird and spiffy. :D

Yeah I got their paper secondary too and it hasn't really solved or answered any of our questions, LOL. :)

300 characters...is awfully limited. I guess I need to call them, they don't seem to be answering my emails either.. :(

I talked to them today, they said 300 should actually say 1500....

and you can print from Word and count characters, etc versus typing on those pages......

and if you paid the fee and sent a photo, you ignore the form.

and you can print from Word and count characters, etc versus typing on those pages......

1500 with spaces, right?

So for both the personal comments and questionnaire, can we print out our responses on a separate sheet of paper?

Yes, I didn't explicitly ask but I assumed so... I'm going to check off the boxes and do the fills in with a pen... and print out all essays from Word and staple them on the back. Doesn't that sound reasonable?

oh and the 1500 is definitely with spaces like before...sorry.

the yes, i assume so was for the second question.

Doesn't that sound reasonable?

Very. :)

I wonder how much of an "extension" they're going to give us because of all these delays?

Thanks for all the help DrKevin. I haven't been able to reach anyone at Davis and your post clears up a lot of questions for me. THANK YOU!! :D

oh yeah, if you already submitted the electronic one you still should send in the paper one. at least thats what the admissions office said when i called them.

I'm glad someone got through to them because they have not answered my email. I just want to clarify, the 1500 character limit applies to both the personal comments and the discussion of your involvement in activities? Or does it only apply to the personal comments part? I am still a bit confused since the personal comments had no character limit and the activitieis ones said 300. Thanks for all the posts about this... I am glad we can get it clear since they are hard to reach.

For those of you filling out the online 2ndary, how are you filling out the coursework page? Just list out the courses separated by semicolon??? they give you one big field to fill out, it's so confusing... i hope they can correlate the grades and the course number to the course title too =(

Hi fellow Aggie applicants.

I came home from work and got an email from UC Davis saying to fill out the secondary application online (today is August 22nd). I looked at the postal mail and did not find any paper secondary from UC Davis. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow. Good luck to everyone filling out the UC Davis secondary application!!!

:clap:

the 1500 limit is for all essays, regardless of what the paper form says... as far as I know, no one is to enter their information online, Terri said on the phone that the information is corrupt even if already submitted.

Good to see some people talking about UC Davis application stuff on these boards. Wish we would have had that last year!

Feel free to ask me any questions if you want.

:D

I got a secondary from UC Davis!!!:clap:
The e-mail stated that I would have to wait 48 hours before accessing the secondary online. I am wondering if that's due to the problem with people viewing other's info. after refreshing the browser button on the secondary. That's sounds crazy:eek:

Anyhow, can you guys tell me the questions, so I may work on them tonight. Thanks a lot.

Harps

From a previous post on this thread:

Describe a difficult situation you have had to overcome in your life or during your college academic experience. How do you feel this will prepare you for a career in medicine?

If the practice of medicine ceased to exist - there were no physicians, what would you do instead, and why?

Select and respond to one of the following topics:
Which scientific advance made in the past 12 months do you think will have the greatest impact on the future practice of medicine? Please include a brief discussion in support of your choice.
Which societal change made in the past 12 months do you think will have the greatest impact on the future practice of medicine? Please include a brief discussion in support of your choice.

The UCD School of Medicine offers a broad and diverse range of educational opportunities for our students. The extent of careers that our graduates achieve includes the entire gamut of medical practice, from that of the primary physician to academic physicians in teaching and research institutuions. For the latter, a predoctoral academic program that combines the MD program with that of a Ph.D. is often chosen. The UCD School of Medicine offers a dual degree Physician Scientist Traning Program (PSTP) for suitably qualified candidates. The ph.D. segment of this program may be undertaken in any of the graduate programs on the entire UC Davis campus. There is a broad diversity of programs from which to select, including the typical MD/Ph.D. tracks in biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering, but the program can also encompass the social sciences, humanities and economics. The goal of the dual degree program is to train academic physicians to be able to make important contributions to medical care and education in the 21st century.
If you are interested in the PSTP that might allow you to meet some of the above aims, please provide a supplementary essay that would indicate your interest in pursuing a dual degree. Your comments should include your research background and reasons for pursuing a combined degree program.

If you have identified yourself as a socio-economically disadvantaged applicant please provide a brief statement concerning the nature of this designation. Describe its impact on your accomplishments to date and on your anticipated future in medicine.

Thanks Voltron...:)

Harps

You're welcome Harps!!!! I guess we both got the UC Davis secondary today.....by the way, did you get the paper secondary from UC Davis in the mail? People have been mentioning this and I did not get anything in the mail? Please post here. Thanks!!!! Good luck!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey there Voltron,
No, I did not get a hard copy of the secondary in snail mail. Do you think only certain people are getting it in mail because the e-mail I received specifically stated that I should be able to access the secondary online within 48 hrs. Did you also get that message???

Yeah, lets keep posting here. :)
UC Davis ROCKS ASS :clap: :clap:

Also, for everyone here, can you guys please post in the "From schools that screen which one's have sent you a secondary" thread. That way we keep a nice tally of who got which secondary...it lowers/heightens anxiety of those of us waiting:D

Harps

Hi there Harps. I also received the same email as you did but was wondering if I also had to fill out the paper secondary like some people mentioned here on this thread. Good luck. I will be working on my secondary this weekend so I wish you the best. Stay positive! :D

Okay... I have not gotten a response back from UC Davis regarding an email I sent RE: secondaries. Last year, people said they preferred emails as opposed to calling them. Maybe this year they are having issues with all things computer-oriented.

Anyways, I got my secondary (postmarked 8/19) via snail mail. My status page does not show that the secondary was ever requested. So maybe, they are sending the paper secondary to those who will not have online access to their secondaries. Nevertheless, previous posts say that despite what you do online you should send the paper copy as well.

BTW, I hope I am not the only one whose online status has not been updated. That would really suck.:(

Hi Violinrose and Harps.....

Like I said in a previous post, I received the secondary application on August 22nd via email and today, August 23rd, I received the paper copy of the UC Davis secondary application so I guess I am going to fill out the paper secondary and also do the secondary application online.....just to cover all of my bases. Hope that helps you guys out!!! Good luck!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I called them to confirm what I was originally told (do paper one, not online or that online is not necessary if you do the paper one...) but didn't get a call back Friday. I'll let people know if I do.

I called them to confirm what I was originally told (do paper one, not online or that online is not necessary if you do the paper one...) but didn't get a call back Friday. I'll let people know if I do.

Thanks dude.

I don't even know where to start for the UC davis question about a societal change or scientific advance? What sorts of topics are they looking for? Does anyone know of any good websites to look stuff up?

OK,
so to put the issue to rest, if you've received a paper app and the online thing, which one should you do?

What are you guys doing?

Originally posted by AvgApplcnt
OK,
so to put the issue to rest, if you've received a paper app and the online thing, which one should you do?

What are you guys doing?

I submitted my secondary on-line and the status says they received it. But then I got the paper copy in the mail. Basically, I am just printing out all my essays and attaching them to the paper copy and sending the paper copy in as well. I'm just a little concerned that all my on-line information is corrupted, so I'm sending the paper copy in as well in order to be safe.