UC Irvine (UCI) Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakingzooming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a review of this program before. Felt I should include mine. It was my first interview so the details are a little fuzzy but I will post what I can remember. Just to echo what Hornsfan has said- any review I (or anyone else) have posted is an opinion. Many people differ on their preferences so don't read a review and be completely sold on or turned off by a program. They are only a slice of the pie that is the truth.

Interview Day: There was a social the night before my interview- I think they have one between two interview days so the people that interviewed that day and the people the next day go to it. It was at a resident's house at Seals Beach. The social was a casual bbq where we sat around and chilled/talked to everyone. I felt I got a good impression from it- the residents are close, fun-loving, jokesters. They like to work and party hard. They told me that a lot of them live at Seals Beach. Majority live within 30 mins driving distance of the UCI hospital.

Residents: Very laidback, fun, social group. Most of them were extremely enthusiastic to talk to me. I was one of their first interviews groups and I think they use the socials as a way to get together and drink/party. It seemed like despite the small group (6 residents/class) they socialize a lot more than other residencies I've seen.

Faculty: Attendings- I met only three. I loved Dr. Oman. She was down to earth and extremely laidback. My whole interview consisted of us talking about sports and musical interests. It was my first interview but she was extremely reassuring and it seemed like she is very nurturing of her residents as well. I got to sit in their grand rounds or didactics day. It was a pleasure to watch the attendings, residents, PD, chairman all be on a first name basis joking with each other. It seemed like that one of the requirements of going to UCI was that you had to be witty.

PD: See above.

Facilities: UCI Medical center was too me on first impressions the run of mill kinda Orange county hospitals. Not shiny and brand new but functional and not run down. It had a good size ED. They are working on expanding it. The trauma bay is a little crowded and if I remember that will be increased. They are in process of building a new hospital. Don't know if there will be a new ED or they will be splitting between the two buildings. Perhaps a resident can add to this. But it seemed like the ED was above average. I liked that the nurses and attendings got along really well with residents. While I was there on my second look, one of the residents had his laptop and he was showing other nurses some website. It seemed like a more family style atmosphere than elsewhere.

Location: UCI is off the 5 freeway- near Tustin. Actually not on the college campus. It's 30 mins away from the beach. Center of Orange county. Essentially the location affords the opportunity to be able to live anywhere in OC and be driving distance away. I woud love to be able to live at Newport or Seals Beach. With the recession and all, housing is more affordable than it was before. But this coming from NYC prices for me.

Curriculum: Standard 3 yr curriculum. 12 hour shifts. No floor time. They aren't a county level trauma center so you don't see tremendous trauma at the center. But they are the only level 1 trauma center in OC. So they do get a large catchment area for any MVAs, MIs, the rare GSW. I felt that coming here, it would be a great program to learn, develop and hone my skills to practice academics or community style EM.

Overall: I was endeared from the moment I walked into the social. Residents, attendings, nurses all get along so well. It's a tiny residency with 6 residents per class. I think this is done on purpose to foster a closeness. It could also be they don't see much in terms of volume. They excel or rock in ultrasound and place well in fellowships throughout country. I would suggest looking at the program if you are looking for a more personal education that is laidback and casual, tight-knit.

Members don't see this ad.

Any recent comments from rotators/residents about UCI? I know the ED was expanded, but any other stuff stand out good/bad about the program on the trail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll bite... I can tell you a little bit about what I gathered from my interview day here... I did not rotate at UCI so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I felt like this was a really strong 3 year program in an absolutely phenomenal location. To combine such great residency training, supportive faculty, in a place like Orange County is just awesome.

They are the only level 1 trauma center in all of Orange County. While the OC gets a bad wrap for having lots of affluent conservative socialites, there are some bad areas too (Santa Ana comes to mind) that will give you a decent amount of trauma. It's not going to be USC, but still, the residents felt like they got enough trauma. There is no county hospital in the OC, so everyone goes here. Their census is close to 60K, which seems low compared to some other programs in southern california, however, they have very few residents (I think they take 8/year), so each resident sees a ton of patients (probably more than some other programs with higher volumes).

Ultrasound here is absolutely one of the biggest strengths. The ultrasound program, to put it lightly, is a powerhouse. US is really well integrated into the curriculum. Chris Fox is one of the most brilliant people I have ever met, he's a fantastic clinician and one of the brightest mind's in the field of EM and US in particular. He's doing some amazing stuff at UCI for US and medical education. Megan Osborn, the PD was also fantastic and she really embodies a PD who wants to put her residents in a position to succeed and get what they need out of training. She also really did a fantastic job of justifying why a three year program was the way to go.

Other pros: No medicine floor months, great ancillary support, residents were all really happy to be there, if you are interested in technology/sim/med-ed type stuff UCI is arguably the best out there, location is outstanding

Overall, I left this program very impressed. I'm coming from SoCal originally, so I always heard about some of the other big programs in the area. But UCI blew me away.

Last edited:
Can any current resident comment on the strength of the clinical training at UCI in terms of procedures, acuity of patients, how trauma is run? Also would like to hear about resident wellness and the general vibe amongst residents. Thanks in advance from someone very interested in the program.

Recently interviewed here, here's what I thought/found:

UC Irvine: 3 year academic program. No county hospital in Orange County so UC Irvine is kind of de facto county. Decent volume and acuity. Robust (top-notch) ultrasound division, do TEEs, make nerve block bundles! Big emphasis on medical education. Ortho reductions mainly to ortho surgery. Very small residency size (6 per class I think), which also means more faculty face time. Integrated PEM. Very friendly relationship with other services in hospital. Some residents doing CCM fellowships at UCI. Trauma get all airways, run trauma codes, often get right-sided procedures. No info on orthopedics, but I think reductions mostly given to ortho residents. Moonlight as PGY3. I’m from the area, can say location is solid as far as beaches, places to eat, proximity to awesome areas (LA, San Diego, mountains, desert)