UC Irvine vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockMed Doc

trailrunner89
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there was a thread on this last year, but it didn't really discuss the pros and cons of one over the other besides price, so I'd like some more input. I'm really stuck between the two of them and maybe someone else will have some ideas that I haven't thought about.

UC Irvine

Pros
-Cheaper tuition (~10,000/yr less)
-Orange County is a very nice area with less smog
-lots of technology in curriculum (iPads, ultrasound, etc.)
-nice new facilities
-students seemed very very happy and friendly

Cons
-H/P/F grading
-mandatory lectures
-traditional curriculum
-hospital is separate from medical school campus
-smaller hospital with less variety
-no hospital time in first two years, only standardized its
-cost of living is higher
-fewer research opportunities
-potential for high tuition increase if CA budget doesn't improve...

USC

Pros
-LA County Hospital=amazing clinical experience
-Introduction to Clinical Medicine gets students in hospital early
-HTE program (I'm very interested in continuing engineering) w/ potential for MS in BME
-slightly cheaper cost of living
-audio and video recorded lectures
-P/F grading
-systems based curriculum
-optional Dean's research year (fully funded)

Cons
-more expensive tuition
-LA air quality sucks (I have asthma and love long distance running....)
-traffic

Money aside, I would choose USC. However, I don't know where the point is that I should base my decision on cost. I could definitely be happy at either school. Does anyone have any input or other ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have complete financial aid packages from both?

I would normally say go for the cheaper school, but this is tough. Mandatory lectures and non-P/F curriculum are terrible. Irvine is practically a paradise compared to the area around USC. Tough choice, but I would probably go with USC.

(P.S. OC traffic sucks, too :D)

Members don't see this ad :)
So there was a thread on this last year, but it didn't really discuss the pros and cons of one over the other besides price, so I'd like some more input. I'm really stuck between the two of them and maybe someone else will have some ideas that I haven't thought about.

Thanks!

Go to SC. I say this as a current waitlistee.

Money aside, I would choose USC. However, I don't know where the point is that I should base my decision on cost. I could definitely be happy at either school. Does anyone have any input or other ideas?

Thanks!

Is the difference only $40k total? I think that is small enough to pretty much disregard and go with USC.

Go to SC. I say this as a current waitlistee.

Irvine! I say this as a current SC waitlistee! ;)

Seriously though, like the OP, I'd like to know that line where the $ difference starts to be important when comparing schools.

Good luck with your decision RockMed Doc. Two solid schools!

I didn't get any help financially from USC and Irvine won't come out until June, but I don't expect anything. I'll be taking out loans for the majority of it.

The difference is just slightly over $40,000 total, once living costs and everything are factored in. I had heard not to consider price if it is less than $10,000/yr (from a financial aid officer at an interview). But I don't see why this would be a magic number. Anyone else know?

I didn't get any help financially from USC and Irvine won't come out until June, but I don't expect anything. I'll be taking out loans for the majority of it.

The difference is just slightly over $40,000 total, once living costs and everything are factored in. I had heard not to consider price if it is less than $10,000/yr (from a financial aid officer at an interview). But I don't see why this would be a magic number. Anyone else know?

What specialty are you interested in? Is your field that makes higher or lower end of the spectrum?

Let's say it is a 40k difference and after interest it turns out to be 80k once you finish paying to off.

If you become a primary care/family physician, let's say you make ~100k. That's about 1 year's worth of salary.

If you become a ROAD, make it out to ~300k. That's less than a 3rd of a year's salary.

I don't think there is much significant difference between 10k/year and I would choose USC.

disclaimer: rejected to both.

UC Irvine

Pros
-Cheaper tuition (~10,000/yr less)
-Orange County is a very nice area with less smog
-lots of technology in curriculum (iPads, ultrasound, etc.)
-nice new facilities
-students seemed very very happy and friendly

Cons
-H/P/F grading
-mandatory lectures
-traditional curriculum
-hospital is separate from medical school campus
-smaller hospital with less variety
-no hospital time in first two years, only standardized its
-cost of living is higher
-fewer research opportunities
-potential for high tuition increase if CA budget doesn't improve...

USC

Pros
-LA County Hospital=amazing clinical experience
-Introduction to Clinical Medicine gets students in hospital early
-HTE program (I'm very interested in continuing engineering) w/ potential for MS in BME
-slightly cheaper cost of living
-audio and video recorded lectures
-P/F grading
-systems based curriculum
-optional Dean's research year (fully funded)

Cons
-more expensive tuition
-LA air quality sucks (I have asthma and love long distance running....)
-traffic

Thanks!

LOL, if you think the air quality in Orange County is any better than LA you are sadly mistaken my friend. Both counties form one huge basin that all the pollution just sinks in. I feel like most of the smog drifts south/east from LA toward Orange and Riverside counties.

LOL, if you think the air quality in Orange County is any better than LA you are sadly mistaken my friend. Both counties form one huge basin that all the pollution just sinks in. I feel like most of the smog drifts south/east from LA toward Orange and Riverside counties.

The fact that both counties fall within the same region does not necessitate identical pollution levels. Using nitrogen dioxide as a marker, Orange County has around 11ppb whereas LA has closer to 15.5ppb (source: http://www.epa.gov/airtrends/nitrogen.html). Additionally, UC Irvine is closer to the coast (practically on it since the bay extends to the campus), and this helps a lot with the air quality.

In regards to the OP's question, I would go with USC mostly because of the disjointed hospital of UCI, and the P/F is a plus. Both are great schools, congratulations and good luck with your decision!

Thank you all so much for your input. It's really nice to have some validation on my thought process from others in similar situations.

After recently learning that I am very high (low number) on the OHSU alternate list, I think I will eventually go that direction. Hopefully I'm not crazy for doing that, but I feel like Portland as a place is much better suited for me. In the meantime, I'll be choosing USC.

Good luck to all!!!

Thank you all so much for your input. It's really nice to have some validation on my thought process from others in similar situations.

After recently learning that I am very high (low number) on the OHSU alternate list, I think I will eventually go that direction. Hopefully I'm not crazy for doing that, but I feel like Portland as a place is much better suited for me. In the meantime, I'll be choosing USC.

Good luck to all!!!

Great choice, and best of luck on the OHSU waitlist! It's a great school. But even if that doesn't work out, I think USC would be an awesome place to go to med school. You'll be happy either way, I think.

as a UCI WL... i'd pick USC! hahaha just kidding but really.

I think you just stated all the reasons why you would rather go to USC over Irvine. It seems that USC has more of what you are looking for. If you are concerned with money... the question you should ask yourself is: is the INVESTMENT worth it? I think it is different in thinking whether you are PAYING more versus if you are INVESTING in your education. But it seems to me that you have more reason to go to USC than UCI.... just look at your pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.