UC Post-Bacc Consortium 2015 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't believe I hadnt seen this forum. Just found searching for info about these two programs and UCLA since just got interview offer. All these updates would have reduced my stress level lately. I'm also in at both post baccs and have to decide by tomorrow the deadline where I'm going i guess. Heart is 95% set on UCD, with 5% about UCSF doubt lingering. I live in the middle and could do either, but I felt a stronger connection with UCD. Dr. Morfen and the staff made me feel welcome and seem very encouraging and helpful. UCSF is a good school, but i just looked on craigslist for apartments and my heart started racing. No thank you i'll stay north lol what are you leaning toward @Pongism ?

I was looking up apartments in SF too and it's ridiculously HIGH! But still...should we let money get in the way of what we want to be for the rest of our life? Shouldn't we challenge ourselves if Med School is only going to be harder? Should we settle for second best if we have the potential to be even better? UCSF chose us because they thought we are good enough for their school. These are the thoughts that have been going on in my head @Hlub_Vallejo. I accepted my offer at UCSF but asked for an extension at UCD to accept their post bacc. I emailed a few UCSF alumni to ask about their experiences but I'm not sure when they will get back to me. I completely fit in with the UCD post bacc but I keep asking myself...Am I scared of change and that's why I won't go to SF? I'm graduating from UCD this quarter and I love this place. Not sure if I want to let it go.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems like many people chose UCD on this forum, however I chose UCSF for various reasons. These include my never-ending love for SF, welcoming and easy going UCSF interview and other staff, higher acceptance rate for its graduates for medical schools, financial aid and scholarship availability, and free 7 week housing provided at the beginning of this program. And lastly, it's UCSF, I mean who wouldn't want to go there, right? Any other students who accepted UCSF here? Also, it's a long shot, but anyone from Central Valley, more specifically, Fresno area? Lol

Hi @KingSing , I live in Davis for college but I was born and raised in Merced (40 minutes away from Fresno!). About the financial thing. I understand that we get federal loans which is better than private loans but I'm sure we will still have to take out private loans because of how expensive it is living there. Not sure about the scholarship availability. Actually, I don't know anything about the program. Don't you feel that the emails we've been getting from Latasha is cut and dry? They just expect us to appear that on June 15. It feels so impersonal. For the UCD post bacc, Lorena actually wants to talk to us and get to know about how we feel about the program.

Hi @KingSing! I also accepted my UCSF offer and will be seeing you in 2 weeks. I also connected with @Sleepwalker via the forum who will also be attending UCSF. Funnily enough, I think he is from the Fresno area! Feel free to message me if you want to talk privately.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @KingSing , I live in Davis for college but I was born and raised in Merced (40 minutes away from Fresno!). About the financial thing. I understand that we get federal loans which is better than private loans but I'm sure we will still have to take out private loans because of how expensive it is living there. Not sure about the scholarship availability. Actually, I don't know anything about the program. Don't you feel that the emails we've been getting from Latasha is cut and dry? They just expect us to appear that on June 15. It feels so impersonal. For the UCD post bacc, Lorena actually wants to talk to us and get to know about how we feel about the program.
Hey! that's nice to know that you're from the Central Valley. And regarding UCSF post bacc, actually I was part of the Doctors Academy Program at my high school and it was funded by UCSF. I already knew some of the people from that program who work for UCSF in Fresno area. They all encouraged me to apply and helped me through the application process. I really felt like home when I went for an interview at UCSF. It went really smooth and I could connect and relate. We have all probably had different experiences, but I feel like mine was good enough for me to choose UCSF. Lol So are you planning to attend Davis or SF?

Hi @KingSing! I also accepted my UCSF offer and will be seeing you in 2 weeks. I also connected with @Sleepwalker via the forum who will also be attending UCSF. Funnily enough, I think he is from the Fresno area! Feel free to message me if you want to talk privately.

Looking forward to meeting you!
Hey yeah I am excited to meet new people and see ya there! 10 more days! lol Oh really? I will contact @Sleepwalker too. It's always nice to find people from your community/area. :)

Hey! that's nice to know that you're from the Central Valley. And regarding UCSF post bacc, actually I was part of the Doctors Academy Program at my high school and it was funded by UCSF. I already knew some of the people from that program who work for UCSF in Fresno area. They all encouraged me to apply and helped me through the application process. I really felt like home when I went for an interview at UCSF. It went really smooth and I could connect and relate. We have all probably had different experiences, but I feel like mine was good enough for me to choose UCSF. Lol So are you planning to attend Davis or SF?

Definitely leaning towards SF for now because I wanna be ballsy. I can't be scared of the city and money for the rest of my life, right? Haha! We should all round up on a conversation, share our stats and stuff. We should get to know each other! All those that are going to UCSF!

Didn't feel very good about my UCLA interview. I find phone interviews to be difficult - I have a hard time expressing myself without my body language!

That's all I'm saying basically, @Pongism. Sure, finances are a factor too, but it's basically about what I want from a program. I know UCSF has a great academic program, but these postbacs are a huge commitment and if I choose to somewhere, I want to feel supported and know that the program aligns with what I want to do in terms of cultural competence and community building. I got the feeling that UCSF sees you as disposable when I called to decline my offer. It was like you said, cut and dry. No, oh let's talk about your concerns and see if there's a way to address them. It was very okay, good luck, bye. That was very telling. As I mentioned, the experience with UCD was polar opposite. That's why I'm reconsidering and will likely join their program after all.

Didn't feel very good about my UCLA interview. I find phone interviews to be difficult - I have a hard time expressing myself without my body language!

I completely agree! :/

Did the director also say that he would try and give us an answer by Monday?

I am accepted at UCR. Any others out there?

I had a great time there, everything just felt right that day.
I interviewed at UCLA this past Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted from UCLA. Was rather surprised to get called on a Saturday.

That's all I'm saying basically, @Pongism. Sure, finances are a factor too, but it's basically about what I want from a program. I know UCSF has a great academic program, but these postbacs are a huge commitment and if I choose to somewhere, I want to feel supported and know that the program aligns with what I want to do in terms of cultural competence and community building. I got the feeling that UCSF sees you as disposable when I called to decline my offer. It was like you said, cut and dry. No, oh let's talk about your concerns and see if there's a way to address them. It was very okay, good luck, bye. That was very telling. As I mentioned, the experience with UCD was polar opposite. That's why I'm reconsidering and will likely join their program after all.

Definitely. Looking forward to meeting you at UCD @MorpheusChaser, and hopefully you too, @Pongism. Take care! :p

Who else is going to be part of the UCLA RAP program this year? Feel free to pm me.

Definitely. Looking forward to meeting you at UCD @MorpheusChaser, and hopefully you too, @Pongism. Take care! :p

So, after a very long time of going back and forth, I have finally made a decision to go to UCSF! Anyone can hit me up so we can talk more about the program and get to know each other :) I'm super excited to see you all in a week! Now...back to studying for my finals :(

When did you interview for UCR?

When does UCR offer its last interview invites?

Just spoke to UCR, they said only a handful of interview slots left and only a few seats for their program open.

I just found out about this program... to those that are attending: i have a 3.5science/3.7culm GPA.. but a bit of a downward trend and a subpar MCAT. why did you choose to do the UC post bacc program? were your stats the issue?

If my GPA is slightly below the minimums for UCI and UCSF, will they toss out my application or do they review applications holistically?

if my letters of recommendation are received before i submit my application, will they still process the LORs? or will I need my LOR writers resend them after i submit my application?

When did UCR send out interviews if you remember? Thanks.