UC Post Baccs 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalAlum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the post bacc forums for updated information about the UC Consortium programs with no luck. I know that they are for URMs and everything but I haven't been able to find any statistics relevant to the success of the programs in terms of getting into med schools, etc. I was wondering if anyone could give further insight on this.

I have been planning to apply to the Georgetown SMP for a while (though less emphatically after realizing their low linkage numbers) but the UC post baccs have recently grabbed my interest. Does anybody know how the UC ones would compare to the other SMPs?

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find the UC post-bac Consortium 2011 Thread so I'm glad this thread has been started.

are there any alumni from any of the postbac programs who are willing to let me put their name on "how you found out about any or all of the postbaccalaureate programs in the consortium" section? Please message me. Would really really appreciate it

The uc post Bacc programs seem like students would fair pretty well. I just wish they had programs for non urms. I guess that's what uc extensions are for.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I assume if you did not come from a disadvantaged background, there's no chance in getting into one of the UC post bacc? Does anyone know if there are any other ways? I'm looking for a gpa enhancer type program and would like to stay in CA if possible? Thanks!

does URM only apply for socially disadvantaged students or can economically disadvantaged students apply as well??

I'm applying to the UC post-bac program. Cross fingers I get in to some of the UCs. I know it takes long to hear from them from the postings I've been reading.

Ahh post bac.

I won't lie. I am quite disappointed in it. Because it is misleading, especially when I spoke to several UC post bac and UPENN and Ohio.
Me and two friends both applied. We knew each other numbers because we spent several weeks on it together working on it. Your disadvantage status has LITTLE to do with your application. Very little. It does not justify your grades or anything, it just suggests you are more inclined to serve a disadvantaged background.

Long story short NO post bac programs are really considered "academic enhancers."

They look for people who have potential of getting in ALREADY or just need MINOR improvements.

So not to be a downer, but you need, or what several universities told me, at least a 3.5 to get into post bac and at least a 29 on MCAT.

my friend who got into UC post bacs (he got into all of them but went to UCSD) had a 3.9 GPA. He didn't apply directly to medical school because he wanted the free MCAT summer course the UCs provided.

Then I went to several health advisors and they told me not to waste time on a post bac if those were my numbers and apply directly to medical school.

Anyways, I just want to tell you guys, don't get discouraged if you DON'T get in.

If you need to boost your GPA, do an informal post bac. It is the SAME exact thing, and most or all medical schools will see it the SAME way. Only difference is that you are not guaranteed your classes**** If you don't trust me, ask your pre health counselor.

But nonetheless, good luck to all of you! Remember, due to budget cuts, they lowered the amount of people they take.

Which brings me to one more point!!
I also found this from UCSF. The UC post bac extension program gets their funding from the state. And they get it from results** You can google up the results. Basically they need at least 90% of their graduates to GET INTO medical school. So they are very biased towards applicants who are already excellent candidates.

Thats why I found it misleading, because last year, many people really saw this as an opportunity to revamp their application numbers/experiences due to their underprivileged backgrounds. But in the end, it comes down to numbers.

So make sure you guys do well on MCAT/CLASSES!!!!

Thanks for the info postbac87. I was a Finance major and have worked in financial services for two years but am going back to school. I kept my GPA high and have not taken more than one or two science classes.

I'd like to get into one of the UC post-baccs but am a WASP and whiter than Vanilla Ice :) I've been looking into the Scripps program also which looks good and was recommended by my advisor but they throw you in with the undergrads....whereas I like Johns Hopkinsbecause its a separate program just for Post Bacc students--well, I mainly like it because it's Hopkins. Should I apply to the UC programs anyway, or is their no chance because my ancestors are from Western Europe? Or are the UC post-baccs just for previously unsuccessful candidates to med school?

Thanks for the info postbac87. I was a Finance major and have worked in financial services for two years but am going back to school. I kept my GPA high and have not taken more than one or two science classes.

I'd like to get into one of the UC post-baccs but am a WASP and whiter than Vanilla Ice :) I've been looking into the Scripps program also which looks good and was recommended by my advisor but they throw you in with the undergrads....whereas I like Johns Hopkinsbecause its a separate program just for Post Bacc students--well, I mainly like it because it's Hopkins. Should I apply to the UC programs anyway, or is their no chance because my ancestors are from Western Europe? Or are the UC post-baccs just for previously unsuccessful candidates to med school?

I think you should apply. I spoke to one of the recruiters. Being disadvantaged does not mean being a minority. It does not even mean if you are poor. However I am sure that is what they are looking for but they encourage anyone who believes they were disadvantaged in any way to apply.

But since you are a career changer, you have so many more Options!!! Which is a huge +. Like you said Hopkins has one, and a majority of post bacs are career changers. If you are looking for a post bac in California, California State University of Fullerton has one for career changers.

I think you should apply. I spoke to one of the recruiters. Being disadvantaged does not mean being a minority. It does not even mean if you are poor. However I am sure that is what they are looking for but they encourage anyone who believes they were disadvantaged in any way to apply.

But since you are a career changer, you have so many more Options!!! Which is a huge +. Like you said Hopkins has one, and a majority of post bacs are career changers. If you are looking for a post bac in California, California State University of Fullerton has one for career changers.

Thanks man! I actually really like the Harvard Extension program as well adn have heard nothing but good things...as long as I get sponsorship and a good MCAT score that--like the JHU program--will open up the most doors in terms of Med schools when that time comes. Any insight into that program? If not no worries and thanks for your input already!

Of of course. No problem.

Remember, no matter what, there is ALWAYS a way to get into medical school. Not be the ideal way or the most effective way, but there is always a way.

Hello, Has anyone applied this year? have you guys heard anything back!?

I've applied almost a month ago and 2 Documents are pending. It's just the letters of recommendation 2 of them everything else is in. Not sure how long it takes to complete an application. I check everyday hoping it will be a completed application. Has anyone heard anthing?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I assume if you did not come from a disadvantaged background, there's no chance in getting into one of the UC post bacc? Does anyone know if there are any other ways? I'm looking for a gpa enhancer type program and would like to stay in CA if possible? Thanks!

UC Berkeley Ext postbac is open to everyone. And even if you don't make the grade requirement or just don't want to join the program you can still take the classes piecemeal. They have mostly night and weekend classes, so you can work during the day.

Hello, Has anyone applied this year? have you guys heard anything back!?

I've applied almost a month ago and 2 Documents are pending. It's just the letters of recommendation 2 of them everything else is in. Not sure how long it takes to complete an application. I check everyday hoping it will be a completed application. Has anyone heard anthing?

I submitted my app early Feb and all my supporting docs (transcripts, letters) were all found and added to my file within about 1.5 weeks of submission, and I had all this stuff sent in before I submitted my app. Still, my app was "pending" for another 1.5 weeks or so afterward. I emailed them after 1 week to ask why the status hadn't been updated. Didn't get a reply back, but my status was updated to "complete" a few days after that. Not sure if the email had anything to do with it though.

I know for sure UCSD started interviews earlier this month (it's stated on their website, they are very good about posting info on their program), but my app has been complete for about a month now and I still haven't heard anything from any of the UCs yet (I only applied to SD, SF, Davis, and Irvine).

Hey guys,

Quick question

Does the 2500 character limit on the essays take into consideration spaces or not?

2500 (words and spaces) or 2500 (words only)? I am ready to submit, but anxious that the essays might be truncated.

Thanks

I submitted my app early Feb and all my supporting docs (transcripts, letters) were all found and added to my file within about 1.5 weeks of submission, and I had all this stuff sent in before I submitted my app. Still, my app was "pending" for another 1.5 weeks or so afterward. I emailed them after 1 week to ask why the status hadn't been updated. Didn't get a reply back, but my status was updated to "complete" a few days after that. Not sure if the email had anything to do with it though.

I know for sure UCSD started interviews earlier this month (it's stated on their website, they are very good about posting info on their program), but my app has been complete for about a month now and I still haven't heard anything from any of the UCs yet (I only applied to SD, SF, Davis, and Irvine).
my app was changed to complete 3 wks ago and I havent heard anything either. Im thinking we might start hearing from them after the final deadline ? maybe?
I think the character limit does not take into consideration spaces... its just characters :)

WOW they started interview already :( darn it!!! My letters of rec are the ones that are hold me back :( They said by this week they would send their letter everything else as arrived :( I wish they would of got the letters!! I had everything done by Feb. 24th, so a Month yestrday! Sooo sad. Gzzzz I hope They recieve it next week because I feel that my application is being completed almost by the deadline which it was completed way before that it's just my letters making my application as pending status. I'm sure we won't hear of interviews until Beg. May if we got one. I hope we all do!!!!

Hey guys,

Quick question

Does the 2500 character limit on the essays take into consideration spaces or not?

2500 (words and spaces) or 2500 (words only)? I am ready to submit, but anxious that the essays might be truncated.

Thanks

It does take into consideration spaces!! I wrote mine in Word and checked the word count (it lists the count for characters only and characters with spaces), and the app definitely counts spaces too. But I also think the text box only allows for 2500 characters so you won't be able to go over the limit anyway. So if you're typing and suddenly you can't type anymore, then that's the limit. Otherwise, if you copy and paste, just scroll to the end to make sure nothing got cut off.

I think the they are kinda slow updating app statuses.. Why else would it take them weeks just to do it, even when everything was already in for mine?? Plus, they found most of my docs within a few days. It was only one letter of rec that took them 1+ week to find, even though it was sent in about the same time as all the other ones. CHERevo, just make sure your letters have been sent already. Chances are, the consortium has them but just hasn't updated your app yet. Good luck!!

As far as I can tell, the UC programs are not special masters programs so you would be taking mostly, if not only, undergrad classes. In the Georgetown SMP you would be taking graduate level courses. Georgetown has two programs: in one, some of your classes will be medical school classes taken alongside med students and get a Masters; the other one, you only take graduate classes at GMU and get a graduate certificate at the end. These programs have pretty set curricula so you won't have much say in what classes to take. On the other hand, the UC programs are much more individualized. I don't think you would get a certificate or anything from the UCs though, but someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

WOW they started interview already :( darn it!!! My letters of rec are the ones that are hold me back :( They said by this week they would send their letter everything else as arrived :( I wish they would of got the letters!! I had everything done by Feb. 24th, so a Month yestrday! Sooo sad. Gzzzz I hope They recieve it next week because I feel that my application is being completed almost by the deadline which it was completed way before that it's just my letters making my application as pending status. I'm sure we won't hear of interviews until Beg. May if we got one. I hope we all do!!!!

that poster is WRONG. The head of ucsd's program told me personally that they have not started interviewing, and that was last week.

I'm sorry if my info is wrong, but I saw it on the UCSD website (https://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/dcp/postbac/eligibility-applicant_info/) bottom of the page under interview evaluations. I didn't call or email them to ask personally because I didn't think there was a need to since the webpage was updated. I'm not saying I doubt you, PostBaccNK, but I don't know why they would post that online if they haven't even started interviewing yet... At least that means there is a still a good chance for us :]

I'm sorry if my info is wrong, but I saw it on the UCSD website (https://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/dcp/postbac/eligibility-applicant_info/) bottom of the page under interview evaluations. I didn't call or email them to ask personally because I didn't think there was a need to since the webpage was updated. I'm not saying I doubt you, PostBaccNK, but I don't know why they would post that online if they haven't even started interviewing yet... At least that means there is a still a good chance for us :]

They intended to start sooner, but they are holding off on interviewing for a number of reasons. That information was probably accurate when it was posted, but circumstances have changed. What I will say is that the number of applications received this year will likely go down from last year, so everyone's odds are better this year.

That's okay fr00tie. We really appreciate your information and the website did say that they'll start interviews in early March.

Thanks PostbaccNK for letting us know! I bet that's great news to everyone applying.

It seems that the application process is preceding at much a slower speed this year. I remember the consortium took a long time to update my application and it seems that people on here experienced the same problem as well.

They intended to start sooner, but they are holding off on interviewing for a number of reasons. That information was probably accurate when it was posted, but circumstances have changed. What I will say is that the number of applications received this year will likely go down from last year, so everyone's odds are better this year.

Thanks for all your info, PostbaccNK!! *celebratory dance*

:O why do you say that the number will be lower this year!? :O :O!!!

:O why do you say that the number will be lower this year!? :O :O!!!

so far, the numbers are down from last year. But then again, they could just end up receiving more applications later.

Hey,

Does anyone know where we sumbit our application fee? Also, does anyone have the contact info for the general office to find out if our application material has been recieved?... or do we need to contact each school separately?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ahh post bac.

I won't lie. I am quite disappointed in it. Because it is misleading, especially when I spoke to several UC post bac and UPENN and Ohio.
Me and two friends both applied. We knew each other numbers because we spent several weeks on it together working on it. Your disadvantage status has LITTLE to do with your application. Very little. It does not justify your grades or anything, it just suggests you are more inclined to serve a disadvantaged background.

Long story short NO post bac programs are really considered "academic enhancers."

They look for people who have potential of getting in ALREADY or just need MINOR improvements.

So not to be a downer, but you need, or what several universities told me, at least a 3.5 to get into post bac and at least a 29 on MCAT.

my friend who got into UC post bacs (he got into all of them but went to UCSD) had a 3.9 GPA. He didn't apply directly to medical school because he wanted the free MCAT summer course the UCs provided.

Then I went to several health advisors and they told me not to waste time on a post bac if those were my numbers and apply directly to medical school.

Anyways, I just want to tell you guys, don't get discouraged if you DON'T get in.

If you need to boost your GPA, do an informal post bac. It is the SAME exact thing, and most or all medical schools will see it the SAME way. Only difference is that you are not guaranteed your classes**** If you don't trust me, ask your pre health counselor.

But nonetheless, good luck to all of you! Remember, due to budget cuts, they lowered the amount of people they take.

Which brings me to one more point!!
I also found this from UCSF. The UC post bac extension program gets their funding from the state. And they get it from results** You can google up the results. Basically they need at least 90% of their graduates to GET INTO medical school. So they are very biased towards applicants who are already excellent candidates.

Thats why I found it misleading, because last year, many people really saw this as an opportunity to revamp their application numbers/experiences due to their underprivileged backgrounds. But in the end, it comes down to numbers.

So make sure you guys do well on MCAT/CLASSES!!!!

Totally agree with this post, coming from somone who did a post-bac.

My post-bac at UCLA didn't help me very much, as my classes weren't guaranteed and my MCAT prep was pretty shaky at best (see my post on this in the sticky thread).

It's been awhile since I did my post-bac (I'm a 4th year med student), so hopefully things have changed for the better.

Do letter writers have to be former instructors? All my letter writers have moved on from the school. Two have gone on to the private sector and one to a fellowship. One letter writer is worried about the letter head being an issue. How big of a deal is this? I am at my wit's end since we are only 2 days away and I still need a third letter. These are the three people who know me best.

Hey,

Does anyone know where we sumbit our application fee? Also, does anyone have the contact info for the general office to find out if our application material has been recieved?... or do we need to contact each school separately?

Thanks so much for your help!

I don't think there is an application fee since I didn't see or read anything about one anywhere, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this! I submitted mine without paying a fee and everything seems to be just fine. After you submit your app, you can check the status of supporting docs online by logging into the app. You can try emailing [email protected] also, but I don't know the phone number for the general office. Does anyone?

Do letter writers have to be former instructors? All my letter writers have moved on from the school. Two have gone on to the private sector and one to a fellowship. One letter writer is worried about the letter head being an issue. How big of a deal is this? I am at my wit's end since we are only 2 days away and I still need a third letter. These are the three people who know me best.

Not all letter writers need to be instructors. Mine were an instructor, a volunteer coordinator, and an employer. For sure, my employer, being self-employed, doesn't have a letter head so her letter was printed on plain paper. I doubt the letter head will be much of an issue.. If anything, you could have your letter writer briefly state something like "when i worked at ... during so-and-so time, i met... etc," then even if they have a different letter head than expected, it should clear up any confusions.

To anybody interested in entering the UC Post-Baccs and its effectiveness, look up the article "Effectiveness of University of California Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs in Increasing Medical School Matriculation for Minority and Disadvantaged Students."
This paper concluded that 82% of those who completed the program successfully matriculated into medical school. That's a darn good number.

I don't think there is an application fee since I didn't see or read anything about one anywhere, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this! I submitted mine without paying a fee and everything seems to be just fine. After you submit your app, you can check the status of supporting docs online by logging into the app. You can try emailing [email protected] also, but I don't know the phone number for the general office. Does anyone?

There is no fee to apply :)

There is no fee to apply :)

Thank you! That's what I thought, but I don't think it's ever stated specifically anywhere. They just don't mention it at all. haha.

On another note, does anyone know when they will be starting interviews?

The phone number to the UC post bac office is (530) 754-9391, and you may be speaking to Khalid.

From reading last year and the year before it seems like interviews were being conducted beg of April until Late May. I think it's just the waiting game for us that have completed our application. There is no Fee. First time applicants deadline was friday. I'm hoping for ppl that turned it in with in the deadline get more consideration. :) I wish everyone positive vibes!!!! I wish I would hear word from the program.

My friend was accepted to the program June 2010 to UCSD, but 2 weeks before a DO medical school started they called and told her there was a spot for her. So she left the post-bac to go to medical school. From the time she was at UCSD she really like the program and was very positive about doing better!

As anyone else hear anything? Any interviews? Thank you! :xf:

What is everyone's number 1 program to get into? Mine is UCSD

It'd be a dream come true just to attend a program but if I have the choice, I'd pick a school in So-Cal just so I could be closer to home :D

Davis, Irvine, or SD. In no particular order. Sometimes I lean more towards one, sometimes another one, but I would really just be happy to go to any :]

Approximately, does anybody know how many total spots are open to first time applicants?

Hey everyone,

Just joined the forum! I dont know how many spots are reserved but on UCSF they said they have 8 spots for 2011-2012. Other than that I dont know.

I have an interview for UC Davis in 2 week. Does someone have new/recent informations about the kinds of questions asked etc.???

@ Inflyingschool, congrats on getting an interview for UCDavis, and good luck, it seems you are the first to inform us that they have started calling for interviews, how were you notified?

Hey everyone,

Just joined the forum! I dont know how many spots are reserved but on UCSF they said they have 8 spots for 2011-2012. Other than that I dont know.

I have an interview for UC Davis in 2 week. Does someone have new/recent informations about the kinds of questions asked etc.???

Hi inflyingschool,

Congratulations on the amazing news! :)

You should check out the old uc postbac forums. They have some interview questions posted. The ones that I remember are:

1. Why medicine?
2. Why postbac?
3. How are you disadvantaged?
4. Tell me about yourself.

So basically questions from the application! I heard the interviews for the uc postbac are more relaxed so have fun with your UCD one! GOOD LUCK :D

What's the status of everybodys application? You can find it at the consortium website. Mine still says pending.

@ Medemic, Mine says completed...I would advise that you call the office and ask what is left to be submitted, so that they could be specially notified of some late arrivals.