UC Post bac's cycle 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorinthemaking00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am creating this thread for us to keep each other updated on this application cycle. Comments away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you mean the UCs in California or University of Cincinnati?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UCI only accept Latino applicants since their PRIME program is for Latino population?
I'm sure they look at all applications. Whether you will get in or not is another story.

I am disadvantaged. Are you?
Yes, it's not really relevant.

People should understand that these programs are largely catered towards URMs and entirely catered towards disadvantaged youth.

I submitted mine a while ago. So...which undergrad institutions are you guys representing? A die hard Bruin over here!

Submitted 1/4/2016. Application file status: pending. Sent in Transcripts and LORs but the "date received" sections are blank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that sounds fine. I was a little more elaborate (e.g. Tutor at "Company/organization")

Last edited:
No i didn't. I'm still working on my essays. Everything else is ready though. Did you submit yours?

Yes, I am waiting for them to update my status from pending to complete.

Trojan here lol (No animosity towards bruins)

Hi guys,
I'm applying too! Submitting my application tonight.

Edit: Submitted today 1/31

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anybody know anything about the different postbacs? Where alumni have gone? How integrated the program is with the school? etc

Anybody know anything about the different postbacs? Where alumni have gone? How integrated the program is with the school? etc

All the UC post bac have the same mission statement - help disadvantage students gain entrance into medical school and to increase diversity. Each schools have a structured curriculum and different timeline for MCAT preparation and testing. The postbac requires that each student earn at least 3.5 GPA. If Successful, your chance of gaining entrance to a medical school is very high. Most of the alumni I know got into a medical school somewhere in the U.S.

So far, from the information I collected:
UC Irvine requires students to take 8 units for Summer Session I and 8 units for Summer Session II. Then 12 units for Fall and 12 units for Winter which leaves Spring Quarter solely for MCAT preparation.

UC Davis and UC Riverside focuses on MCAT during the summer and have their students take MCAT in September then full time 12 units during the academic year.

UCSF, I haven't looked into since I'm not applying there.

Last edited:
hey all,

Are most of you still pending? I'm waiting on the last two LORs to be uploaded and my app should be complete. Goodluck to everyone.

hey all,

Are most of you still pending? I'm waiting on the last two LORs to be uploaded and my app should be complete. Goodluck to everyone.

Mine is still pending. I submitted my application Saturday midnight. I mailed my official transcripts and letters of recommendation from Interfolio to the program on Friday. According to the tracking number, my official transcripts arrived at the destination, but my letters of recommendation just got mailed today. The FAQ's states to allow up to 10 business days for the documents to arrive and processed.

could be a dumb question but what did you put under "experience name" in work/activities? If I had a job as a tutor, can I just put tutor?

I'd put "subject" tutor. I was a calculus tutor, so that was my experience name.

Submitted 1/4/2016. Application file status: pending. Sent in Transcripts and LORs but the "date received" sections are blank.

Woah! How did you submit your application so fast? The application was just opened on 01/04/2016 too. Did you finish the essays within that same day?

Woah! How did you submit your application so fast? The application was just opened on 01/04/2016 too. Did you finish the essays within that same day?
Yeah, I had a lot of things done since I applied to medschool and had lots of essays about myself.

Does your Application Status change from "Pending" to "Active" once all the files have been received? If so, i'm still waiting for one more LOR to arrive :(
It was suppose to arrive already....i'm hoping it didn't get lost :'/

I'm surprised that it took so quick for them to receive the files...I thought it said wait 10 days for files to be uploaded. I guess that means that it is still early on into the application process and theres not too many backups with high application influx.

I'm applying from Cal here :)
Wishing the best of luck for all of us! <3
lucky you! one of my letters was delivered Jan 2 and it shows "date received" on my app as Jan 29. I don't know how they go about sorting/uploading all the documents.

My application finally has everything uploaded but it still says "pending"

Hello everyone! I am going to submit my application today. I am still waiting for my LORs to arrive though, so it might be awhile before my application is complete. Any else notice how the post baccs claim they review applications on a rolling basis but if you look at previous years forums people don't seem to receive interviews until after the deadline... Also a couple of people I know from previous years didn't hear back until after the official deadline. Anyone else has any more insight on this?

Thats so odd that it is still "pending". On their website, it states: "An application is deemed complete once it is electronically submitted and all supporting documents have been received and uploaded."

Does "received" mean "uploaded" or does "received" mean "delivered"?

"received" means when they uploaded to your application.
According to my delivery confirmation notification, my official transcript were delivered on Monday, 02/01, but it wasn't uploaded to my application as received until 02/03. Since we're still early in the cycle, they probably were able to upload it faster than the 10 business days mentioned in the FAQ.

Hello everyone! I am going to submit my application today. I am still waiting for my LORs to arrive though, so it might be awhile before my application is complete. Any else notice how the post baccs claim they review applications on a rolling basis but if you look at previous years forums people don't seem to receive interviews until after the deadline... Also a couple of people I know from previous years didn't hear back until after the official deadline. Anyone else has any more insight on this?

As far as I know, UC Irvine sends out the earliest interview invitations. They will complete interviews before the March 16 deadline. On their website, there is a March 2 priority deadline. UCSF and UC Davis is next. It also depends when your application is marked complete as well. The last will be UC Riverside. UC Davis has 2 interview screening. The first is through skype and then a second in person interview.

I guess this is a good thing. It allows different applicants a chance to get accepted somewhere, regardless whether you submit your application early on or mid cycle or towards the deadline.

"received" means when they uploaded to your application.
According to my delivery confirmation notification, my official transcript were delivered on Monday, 02/01, but it wasn't uploaded to my application as received until 02/03. Since we're still early in the cycle, they probably were able to upload it faster than the 10 business days mentioned in the FAQ.

As far as I know, UC Irvine sends out the earliest interview invitations. They will complete interviews before the March 16 deadline. On their website, there is a March 2 priority deadline. UCSF and UC Davis is next. It also depends when your application is marked complete as well. The last will be UC Riverside. UC Davis has 2 interview screening. The first is through skype and then a second in person interview.

I guess this is a good thing. It allows different applicants a chance to get accepted somewhere, regardless whether you submit your application early on or mid cycle or towards the deadline.

Good info to know!! Thanks for the response :)

Thanks for the informative insight!!

Since my letter was sent like 16 days ago and its still not showing up as "received" I wonder if I should ask my letter writer to send another one or ask the consortium to locate it (assuming its lost somewhere)...I'm freaking out :'(

wow.. 16 days is alot! I'm not sure about letters of recommendation because it depends if your letter writer specify who the applicant is in the letter and if the committee is able to associate it with your file (assuming your letter writer wrote your name and DOB or something to identify you).

What I did: I purchased a 1 year Interfolio letter service for $19.99, had my letter writer upload my letters there, then had it delivered with tracking for $21.00. Initially, I had it delivered using USPS First Class for $6.00 without tracking, but I was worried whether it will arrive in time or get lost in the mail. Since the application is important to me and I want to be considered for the UC Irvine Post Bacc, I chose to re-send it as 2 day delivery Fed Ex so that I get a reassurance it was delivered and a matter of time before it is marked as received.

Thanks for the informative insight!!

Since my letter was sent like 16 days ago and its still not showing up as "received" I wonder if I should ask my letter writer to send another one or ask the consortium to locate it (assuming its lost somewhere)...I'm freaking out :'(
It will take a while. I think they lack the resources to upload the stuff we send in a timely manner. You can try calling but he will tell you that it is probably in the pile that he hasn't gotten to.

Wait, I did not know about this service...Just called their office and it seems so much more convenient than asking the letter writers to send the letters directly. Thanks for the advice! :)

You're welcome.
Just an update: My Fedex tracking said my Interfolio LOR was delivered yesterday. I checked if the consortium received it today and they did! My application is marked complete now.

Yes, this method is so much faster. In the consortium FAQ, they recommend to send everything as a packet too.

I'm low key freaking out as one of my letter writers is taking too long to write one. Anyone of you know if I can submit a different one other than the one stated in my application? I already submitted my application; I don't think I can change the name anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm low key freaking out as one of my letter writers is taking too long to write one. Anyone of you know if I can submit a different one other than the one stated in my application? I already submitted my application; I don't think I can change the name anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think you should call them, they are really friendly and answered many of my questions.
They might be able to change the name of your LOR person for you.

Don't worry!

If the letter writer that you are still waiting on will write a great letter for you, then you should wait since we are still pretty early in the application process. I looked at other threads from previous years and it seems like people don't get their apps completed until mid March.

Is everyone else's app marked "completed"? I wonder what the timeline is. from the past threads, I think the earliest we will hear back from schools for interviews are around late March, early April.

Yes my app is complete.. I tried to apply as soon as possible because of the rolling admissions but I don't know how much of an advantage it is from reading past threads.

I think you are right, since the app closes in Mid March we probably wont hear back till late March or early April.

That is strange. Everything have been received and uploaded for you? I would give them a call and follow-up. my status changed to complete when my last LoR was uploaded.

I was looking over my app again, and I noticed a section that asked about SSN, but I don't recall it being asked when I filled out the app. Did anyone fill this section out? I wonder if I should call them and update my app to include my SSN?
I guess I should. And you should too? haha

Hey everyone! I spoke with one of the adcom from UCD and she told me it would be better if we used Interfolio to send our letters since it takes FOREVER to send by mail; she described this long process to me how it goes from LOR mail to school mail to the person in charge of the letters, and it can take over 10-15 days to show that it has been recieved. Just FYI for those that haven't asked yet. I am also in the process, from Davis, and wish everyone the best of luck!

Does UCI only accept Latino applicants since their PRIME program is for Latino population?

Simply put, no.

Extracted from UCI's Francisco J. Ayala School of Biological Sciences Postbacc Premed Program site:

"The UCI School of Medicine Post Baccalaureate Consortium program is an “academic record enhancer” program designed to assist disadvantage underserved applicants, whom have completed a majority or all their pre-requirements needed for medical school admissions, gain acceptances into medical school. The goal of the program is to increase diversity and number of physicians in underserved communities.

The UCI Ayala School Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program is designed for students who come from non-science backgrounds seeking to complete basic sciences core classes needed to gain admissions into a medical or desired health profession."

The latter has no apparent URM or disadvantaged youth requirement.

I think you should call them, they are really friendly and answered many of my questions.
They might be able to change the name of your LOR person for you.

Don't worry!
Thank you for your suggestion! I did call in today and you were right, the guy was so helpful and friendly; he reopened up my application and let me change one of my letter writers. Submitted my last letter of rec today. Hopefully, it will be marked as "complete" soon. :)

Hey everyone! I spoke with one of the adcom from UCD and she told me it would be better if we used Interfolio to send our letters since it takes FOREVER to send by mail; she described this long process to me how it goes from LOR mail to school mail to the person in charge of the letters, and it can take over 10-15 days to show that it has been recieved. Just FYI for those that haven't asked yet. I am also in the process, from Davis, and wish everyone the best of luck!

Hey. I want to comment on this. I called the UC Consortium and they told me they can only accept LOR by mail. We cannot e-mail it to them. I used Interfolio to mail the LOR, but I paid more to get the tracking. LOR rep told me only FedEx $21.00 has tracking. It was delivered within 2-3 days and my LOR was marked as received and complete the next day it was delivered. Just FYI.

Hey. I want to comment on this. I called the UC Consortium and they told me they can only accept LOR by mail. We cannot e-mail it to them. I used Interfolio to mail the LOR, but I paid more to get the tracking. LOR rep told me only FedEx $21.00 has tracking. It was delivered within 2-3 days and my LOR was marked as received and complete the next day it was delivered. Just FYI.

Hey! Sorry if that was a bit unclear, but yes you are correct they only accept mailed in letters. That's what I'm using interfolio for as well.

Hey! Sorry if that was a bit unclear, but yes you are correct they only accept mailed in letters. That's what I'm using interfolio for as well.

It's okay. No need to apologize for anything. I'm glad that you brought this information up and I just wanted to add an additional information to what you mentioned. I'm sure many other students are nervous and worried about submitting a completed application before the deadline too. Any information we can provide can help other students as well. Best of luck to everyone!

i will be calling monday to switch one of my letter writers (and my app should be complete). My initial writer has stalled way too long so i decided to ask someone else. My new letter was sent out today (interfolio), hopefully its not too late in the rolling admissions game :(

Reactions: 2 users
i will be calling monday to switch one of my letter writers (and my app should be complete). My initial writer has stalled way too long so i decided to ask someone else. My new letter was sent out today (interfolio), hopefully its not too late in the rolling admissions game :(
Hey! I actually sent my letters through interfolio today as well - according to interfolio they'll be in by the 24th. I'm still working on my personal statements too . FYI, haha we're "late" in this together. My transcripts have ready been sent. My goal is to submit by February 29th.

Reactions: 2 users
Simply put, no.

Extracted from UCI's Francisco J. Ayala School of Biological Sciences Postbacc Premed Program site:

"The UCI School of Medicine Post Baccalaureate Consortium program is an “academic record enhancer” program designed to assist disadvantage underserved applicants, whom have completed a majority or all their pre-requirements needed for medical school admissions, gain acceptances into medical school. The goal of the program is to increase diversity and number of physicians in underserved communities.

The UCI Ayala School Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program is designed for students who come from non-science backgrounds seeking to complete basic sciences core classes needed to gain admissions into a medical or desired health profession."

The latter has no apparent URM or disadvantaged youth requirement.

Interesting. The two information you posted contradicts each other. The first saying it is an academic record enhancer (someone with science background and looking to increase GPA by taking more upper div science classes) and the second is like saying it is a career changer option (non-science background looking to take science prerequisites).

Interesting. The two information you posted contradicts each other. The first saying it is an academic record enhancer (someone with science background and looking to increase GPA by taking more upper div science classes) and the second is like saying it is a career changer option (non-science background looking to take science prerequisites).

They are two separate post-bacc programs available at UCI.

EDIT: One is through their SOM while the other is through the UCI Ayala School of Bio Sci.

Does anyone have any insight on FAFSA for this post bacc program? Should we apply by the March 2nd deadline? Is the process different than for undergraduate?

Any insight would help! Im so clueless, :/

Thanks! <3

Same Process.
FAFSA would apply if you have not exhaust all federal unsubsidized and subsidized loan you could get from undergrad. If you exhaust the max loan already, then you'll have to loan through parent plus or private loans to help cover the cost of these programs.