UC Post bac's cycle 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application is on the way and as I am awaiting to hear back, I cant help but think that I can do most of the things this program offers on my own. I have a decent GPA, research, and medical experience. I have just not had time to take the MCAT thus I will not be able to apply for this cycle. I was advised that instead of waiting a year for the next cycle that I should just work on a masters or post-bac to be even more competitive. I do not mean to come off pretentious, I would just like to hear others reasoning for wanting to be in this program?

I see where you are coming from. I am actually doing something similar but still am applying. I am taking classes at a community college near my home, which was suggested by Lorena, one of the heads of admission for UCD's post baccalaureate. Working with the underserved community is definitely a priority for me and the fact that over 95% of students from the UC post baccalaureate program are accepted to medical school and actually matriculate into to a school is obviously a plus. I am also more of a "working with groups" type of person, and I know while in the post bacc program we all take classes together/study together, as well as when it comes to MCAT studying. Just knowing that I have a HIGH chance of getting into medical school after the program, rather than doing my own post bacc, will give me a peace of mind when it comes to applying because I know for a fact it'll be one heck of a stressful time! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys think UCI has already chosen their six? It's been really quiet lately.
I had an interview today with UCI and the lady told me that they might accept up to 12 applicants this time

I see where you are coming from. I am actually doing something similar but still am applying. I am taking classes at a community college near my home, which was suggested by Lorena, one of the heads of admission for UCD's post baccalaureate. Working with the underserved community is definitely a priority for me and the fact that over 95% of students from the UC post baccalaureate program are accepted to medical school and actually matriculate into to a school is obviously a plus. I am also more of a "working with groups" type of person, and I know while in the post bacc program we all take classes together/study together, as well as when it comes to MCAT studying. Just knowing that I have a HIGH chance of getting into medical school after the program, rather than doing my own post bacc, will give me a peace of mind when it comes to applying because I know for a fact it'll be one heck of a stressful time! :)
Thank you so much for your input! I also agree with many of the reason to why you are attracted to the post-bac. I think I am also worried about the cost and figuring out how I can afford this. If for some unfortunate reason I do not make it into the Post-bac programs I was looking at becoming an EMT and working for the next year and a half until I can apply to Med-school directly. Thank you for your time and input!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to someone at UCI, and the admissions committee is currently reviewing applications and will notify all applicants of their final admissions status by May.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when we should hear back from UCD?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is anyone still having trouble contacting the main office? Every time I call in it goes straight to voicemail :(

Is anyone still having trouble contacting the main office? Every time I call in it goes straight to voicemail :(
Same here! I've persistently called every day but unfortunately no luck :/ I tried emailing as well and no responses...

Same here! I've persistently called every day but unfortunately no luck :/ I tried emailing as well and no responses...
I emailed them as well and no luck. As folks have said before, I'm sure they're swamped, but I'm super nervous because my app is still pending and I'm not quite confident if my app has even been sent out to schools. Do you have any insight on this?

I emailed them as well and no luck. As folks have said before, I'm sure they're swamped, but I'm super nervous because my app is still pending and I'm not quite confident if my app has even been sent out to schools. Do you have any insight on this?

I submitted my application pretty late, but had sent my documents early enough and my application was just marked as "complete" on the 7th. I'm pretty sure they're swamped with documents and it'll only be a matter of time before your application is complete. Good luck!

I submitted my application pretty late, but had sent my documents early enough and my application was just marked as "complete" on the 7th. I'm pretty sure they're swamped with documents and it'll only be a matter of time before your application is complete. Good luck!

Same here! I submitted pretty late in the game, but all my writers sent in their LoR's in February. My app says they received everything (the latest update being on March 24th), so I'm worried there may be some discrepancies with my app. How long was the time between when they received your last doc to completion?

Good luck to you too!

Did any of you use Interfolio to submit letters of rec? If you did, did you still have your recommenders fill out and attach the Statement of Confidentiality form?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any of you use Interfolio to submit letters of rec? If you did, did you still have your recommenders fill out and attach the Statement of Confidentiality form?
I used interfolio. And no, I didn't use that confidentiality form.

I used interfolio.
You're supposed to fill out the statement, not the letter writers, because the statement specifies whether or not you want access to the letter. I sent the completed statements to each of my letter writers, and then I uploaded the three statements to Interfolio. I then sent the statements along with my LORs to the consortium.

How long was the time between when they received your last doc to completion?

Hey, it took one day for my application to be marked complete after receiving my last letter. Last letter received March 29th, complete the next day. To be fair, they're obviously very busy. But it would be a good idea to contact them.

Also, is anyone else freaking out? Two weeks into April and still haven't heard from them. Has anyone heard from UCSF at all?

I used interfolio.
You're supposed to fill out the statement, not the letter writers, because the statement specifies whether or not you want access to the letter. I sent the completed statements to each of my letter writers, and then I uploaded the three statements to Interfolio. I then sent the statements along with my LORs to the consortium.
Whoops. :)

Hey, it took one day for my application to be marked complete after receiving my last letter. Last letter received March 29th, complete the next day. To be fair, they're obviously very busy. But it would be a good idea to contact them.

UPDATE: I just called the office and was caught off guard because I didn't expect him to pick up :confused: Turns out my app was completed on March 23rd and was sent out to respective schools on March 24th. My status on their computers didn't match up to what I saw, so he kindly just completed it again (whew!). But now it's FINALLY complete!

Last edited:

Also, is anyone else freaking out? Two weeks into April and still haven't heard from them. Has anyone heard from UCSF at all?
I'm right there with you...haven't heard from any of the programs Has anyone heard from UC Davis yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I heard from UCD this morning they started sending out invites for first interviews. The first set of interviews will be on Skype and the second set of interviews will be in person. I was scheduled for April 9th on Skype.

UCI still hasn't responded. All we can do is wait until we get a call/email.

I spoke to the UC Davis coordinator and she said that they have just started screening applicants. We can expect to hear back anytime from now until sometime in May.

My application was complete on April 8th and I am still waiting for an interview.

These are from last year. Last year people started hearing back first week of April I think. So its likely that they either started interviewing people already or that they should begin any day now, and interview up until mid May.

-edit: the quotes don't show the dates but the people posted this very early April last year

The UCI Program coordinator said they will be done with interviews by mid-April, which is just around the corner.

The UCI Program coordinator said they will be done with interviews by mid-April, which is just around the corner.

Did you interview at UCI? Or you just talked to coordinator? Btw everyone, UCSF is in very early stage of the process so be on the lookout :)

Reactions: 3 users
Did you interview at UCI? Or you just talked to coordinator? Btw everyone, UCSF is in very early stage of the process so be on the lookout :)
I spoke with the coordinator.

UCD--if they haven't already--should be sending out interview invites very soon as well!

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys know if the schools send out rejection emails if they didn't invite you for interviews?

I was placed on the alternate list for UCI today :/

I guess UCI is out of the picture now. :arghh: Congratulations to those who got in or at least interviewed!

Just received a call from UCDavis! First interview via skype scheduled for next Wednesday!:soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
They are just getting started with their process of reviewing candidates and inviting them for interviews

Well that's good to hear; thanks for sharing!

They are just getting started with their process of reviewing candidates and inviting them for interviews

Why do I already feel like my life is over? Lol.

On another note, I also received a Skype interview invite from UCD today! :)

Reactions: 7 users
I received an interview from UC Davis this morning as well !!

On another note, I also received a Skype interview invite from UCD today! :)

Congratulations to you and everyone else who got a Skype interview invite with UCD! :D I responded to my UCD email invite this morning and hope to get confirmation from them soon. I was rejected from UCI....I hope to do better with UCD next week :/

Rejection emails have been sent out from UCI.

Sigh. Did they send it to those who they interviewed first? I haven't received anything. So I'm wondering if they are just going to send it as a whole to all of those who didn't get interviewed.

Just received a call from UCDavis! First interview via skype scheduled for next Wednesday!:soexcited:
Just got a call from them as well!!!!!
I received an interview from UC Davis this morning as well !!
Congratulations to you and everyone else who got a Skype interview invite with UCD! :D I responded to my UCD email invite this morning and hope to get confirmation from them soon. I was rejected from UCI....I hope to do better with UCD next week :/

For those that received a UCD interview, do you mind sharing your metrics?

Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
MCAT score:
Research experience?:
Clinical volunteer experience?:
Leadership roles?: