UC rejects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psswrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you from California? I didn't get any love from the West Coast as an OOS-er.

Reactions: 1 users
UCs are super competitive. I am uncertain if they welcome update letters, but I would safely assume no interview from UCs and prepare for the plan B.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ wrong way to look at it. It's a multi-tiered filtering process.

Getting a secondary means you passed one tier. Getting an interview yet another. Many tiers later, maybe you get an acceptance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
yeah, I'm in-state. It's just a terrible bummer when your own state schools don't want you. I mean, why'd you tease me with the secondaries?! Esp, bummed about about UCLA. It seems like Irvine's current invites are already at April dates so they're almost done.
It's not that we don't want you, there just isn't enough room for the abundance of excellent candidates. Every year the large majority of CA applicants (2/3) has to leave the Golden State in order to go to medical school. CA will still be here when you return (should you have to go)!

CA gets so many great apps within the ones awarded secondaries that they can afford to ignore anyone without something that sets them apart from the rest of the great apps. Im in the same boat as you OP, but I expected it bc I have a low MCAT.

I'm just a little bummed that Cali just opened a new medical school in Riverside, and it seems to only be taking Riverside residents. There 2 other medical schools in the works but God only knows when they will open.

I'm just a little bummed that Cali just opened a new medical school in Riverside, and it seems to only be taking Riverside residents. There 2 other medical schools in the works but God only knows when they will open.

That's not true, it's just a small class. A big chunk of their class is from out of the area (I have two friends that go there). I also interviewed there last year and nobody in my interview group went to UCR for undergrad (although it was late in the cycle, so maybe they had already interviewed all of the UCR applicants).

Last edited:
That's not true, it's just a small class. A big chunk of their class is from out of the area (I have two friends that go there).
I stand corrected.

Members don't see this ad :)

I remember reading something like 25/total seats would be for non inland empire/ucr affiliates and alum. Not that many, but I imagine most of those also being IS folks. And besides, if you rock your med school education, you can always shoot to come back to CA for residency :D

I remember reading something like 25/total seats would be for non inland empire/ucr affiliates and alum. Not that many, but I imagine most of those also being IS folks. And besides, if you rock your med school education, you can always shoot to come back to CA for residency :D

Yep, most are IS, but around half aren't from the area.

To quote my learned colleague LizzyM, secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly optimistic.

I received secondaries from ALL University of California schools but got ZERO interview invites from them. All rejections or holds. What gives? I know this process is crazy and UCs are tough to get in to. Wondering anyone else is in the same boat, given most UCs are pretty much almost done with interviews??

It's not so much that UCR only takes Riverside students, rather, it is their misson to provide doctors for the inland empire. An application that reflects a commitment to this or similar regions is the target.

It's not so much that UCR only takes Riverside students, rather, it is their misson to provide doctors for the inland empire. An application that reflects a commitment to this or similar regions is the target.
The current UCR announced quota formula for the 2014 fifty student class is: 25 seats for UCR graduates and 25 seats for non-UCR graduates who possess a demonstrated desire to serve the Inland Empire.

I know there seems to be a consensus amongst the adcoms about how futile getting a secondary can seem, does that bode true for schools/programs as well that are known to have screen heavily? I say this only because some Cali programs like Drew/ PRIME/etc that screen for secondaries is usually a good indicator of interview. Am I wrong in that assumption?

I know there seems to be a consensus amongst the adcoms about how futile getting a secondary can seem, does that bode true for schools/programs as well that are known to have screen heavily? I say this only because some Cali programs like Drew/ PRIME/etc that screen for secondaries is usually a good indicator of interview. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Drew sent me a secondary, but they haven't shown me any love in terms of an II.

Even a school that "screens heavily" will have thousands that merit a secondary, though interviews for that number are impossible.

While prime and drew do screen heavily, they do interview very few from the number awarded Secondaries. Like something around 1500 apply, 200ish get secondaries, fewer than half get IIs and a little more than 30 (?) are accepted to fill their allotted seats. It seems like Drew screens more heavily than PRIME as ive seen many who got PRIME post but few reporting for Drew :3.

3.75 GPA, 37 MCAT, 11 interview invites, multiple early acceptances - 1 interview invite from a California school, 0 acceptances. *shrugs*

3.75 GPA, 37 MCAT, 11 interview invites, multiple early acceptances - 1 interview invite from a California school, 0 acceptances. *shrugs*
We are sending out regrets to thousands of wonderful applicants like you. We just can't interview them all...

Last edited by a moderator:

See, this is where luck comes in. Any other state and she'd have likely been in scholarship contention at her state school. People keep forgetting what an important role geography and luck play in admissions.

I received secondaries from ALL University of California schools but got ZERO interview invites from them. All rejections or holds. What gives? I know this process is crazy and UCs are tough to get in to. Wondering anyone else is in the same boat, given most UCs are pretty much almost done with interviews??

I interviewed at Ucsd but didn't get secondaries from ucla and ucla/prime. As mentioned, it's extremely competitive out there and tiny things can push you one way or another.

To quote my learned colleague LizzyM, secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly optimistic.

I don't know what I find more detestable, the fact that many schools do this, or the fact that you and your learned colleague flaunt that disgusting practice as if it's somehow OK to screw people over if they apply to your institution with no hope of getting in. I think the UC schools do it the right way - big cut at the primary --> secondary level, then review apps in detail. That way, the "hopelessly optimistic" aren't out $100+ without even getting their apps reviewed. It's not perfect, but the UCs do it best (I know this because I go to one and help in admissions stuff).

It's a numbers game magnified by an applicant pool that is far too large for the number of seats.

UCs are unpredictable. I got my only UC ii where I least expected: UCSD. My MCAT score was in low 30s and thought UCSD was way out of my league. I thought I would have better chances at UCI or UCD. As a norcal native with many connections with UCSF, I even thought I had a better shot at UCSF than UCSD.Yet UCSF was the only UC where I didn't get a secondary from...

Flat out rejected from my alma mater UCI without a secondary but have interviews at Davis and Drew and received secondaries to UCLA and UCLA PRIME. I have no freaking clue about this process one way or the other.

Same situation for me last year. I didn't even bother applying to the UC's this year. UCR took my money and didn't even bother sending me any correspondence. Technically, I haven't even been rejected.

Stays true to it's reputation, no doubt.

While prime and drew do screen heavily, they do interview very few from the number awarded Secondaries. Like something around 1500 apply, 200ish get secondaries, fewer than half get IIs and a little more than 30 (?) are accepted to fill their allotted seats. It seems like Drew screens more heavily than PRIME as ive seen many who got PRIME post but few reporting for Drew :3.
I thought it was the opposite. Uclaprime interviews ~80 for 18 spots and ucla/drew interviews ~150 for 24 spots...

I thought it was the opposite. Uclaprime interviews ~80 for 18 spots and ucla/drew interviews ~150 for 24 spots...
I didn't have much knowledge abt how many secondaries relative to the number of apps Drew receives compared to prime haha. I was just basing it off of my experience, as I know a lot more folks who've received prime secondaries and nothing from drew. :p

I think there are so many qualified applicants that they seriously just tape applications to a wall and then throw darts to hand out II's.