Ucla 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MichelAzer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all international dentists,
This Thread is for University of California-San Francisco applicants for year 2014.
Please feel free to ask and share your questions.

Best,

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Format is not had to get- just google "sample recommendation letter for medical/dental school"

Good luck

thank you but i am not able to get good one from google thats why
i will try again

There isn't really a format for recommendation letters, but reading some sample ones would definitely help get clear. Be careful what you read though, they're not all good. Seems like you need to draft your own - make sure you write it in a way that's engaging and memorable, for every attribute the letter states you have there should be a valid back-up with an example, so make it specific.

hey, am applying in this cycle.just stuck with the questionnaire though :confused:

any idea in what time does the toefl score report get delivered to the uni after result announcement online?

Could anyone tell me what kind of teeth do California schools use for the bench test? is it Columbia or Kilgore? help please.

I think it's Kilgore, which is different than Columbia in the location of the contact point,
Can anybody help me find a place where I can practice and learn about the bench test?
I feel lost :(
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.....did anyone receive Application Complete or interview Call email from UCLA?

I have my stuff up for sale in the classified section. For those who are confused about practicing and thinking to shell out money... Consider buying a home set up instead, look up YouTube videos and know the measurements they require... That's all you need... Of course, tons and tons of practice in mounted position. I have UTECH silent compressor (550 dollars), Columbia typhodont, extra teeth, mount... ( I have the Kilgore typhodont too but then many teeth are missing and I really don't want to sell it at full price so if you buy the rest of the stuff I will sell it for 1/4th the price .. And you can buy the teeth yourself. This offer is only if you buy the compressor coz I can't ship just the typhodont as it will cost me more!)
Of course I shelled out money and took a course coz I thought I was doing something wrong but trust yourself and practice like hell. Your work needs to be clean, neat without nicks to adjacent tooth. They look at the finesse in your work along with the measurements. The best thing is either to show your work to some students/ practicing dentists for critique or get some model teeth and your goal is for perfection. No use spending thousands of dollars taking a course... You anyway need to practice! This is the time... You have good 2 months till September ( which I guess is the time all interviews roll in)
Don't forget to brush up on interview skills... Practice, practice and practice speaking. Be confident and everything will fall in place!

I have my stuff up for sale in the classified section. For those who are confused about practicing and thinking to shell out money... Consider buying a home set up instead, look up YouTube videos and know the measurements they require... That's all you need... Of course, tons and tons of practice in mounted position. I have UTECH silent compressor (550 dollars), Columbia typhodont, extra teeth, mount... ( I have the Kilgore typhodont too but then many teeth are missing and I really don't want to sell it at full price so if you buy the rest of the stuff I will sell it for 1/4th the price .. And you can buy the teeth yourself. This offer is only if you buy the compressor coz I can't ship just the typhodont as it will cost me more!)
Of course I shelled out money and took a course coz I thought I was doing something wrong but trust yourself and practice like hell. Your work needs to be clean, neat without nicks to adjacent tooth. They look at the finesse in your work along with the measurements. The best thing is either to show your work to some students/ practicing dentists for critique or get some model teeth and your goal is for perfection. No use spending thousands of dollars taking a course... You anyway need to practice! This is the time... You have good 2 months till September ( which I guess is the time all interviews roll in)
Don't forget to brush up on interview skills... Practice, practice and practice speaking. Be confident and everything will fall in place!
would you consider selling the columbia typhodont alone?

I would prefer selling it along with the compressor. My motive is to benefit one person by selling the complete package so they don't need to search for anything much. I highly recommend the mount. Practicing in hand does not make sense as the output is totally different when mounted and you get to see blunders only after removing it.
I'm also giving some free stuff for those who take the compressor (supersilent with footpedal and attachment for handpiece) and typhodont.
Stuff like manual (free) with all measurements and how to do it etc. I have prepped teeth too and I believe it will benefit the person to take the package as I'm giving some relevant stuff.
However if I don't find anyone... I will sell the typhodont separately. I have teeth too.

Message me for details and please only interested ones!!! If you need teeth, specify them. I can't reply to this thread as I want to keep the discussion limited to exam preparation so if anyone wants stuff, message me.

Last edited:
I think it's Kilgore, which is different than Columbia in the location of the contact point,
Can anybody help me find a place where I can practice and learn about the bench test?
I feel lost :(
Thanks
there is course in colorado done by very effiecient students there if you are interested

Thank you, Faddawe
Can you give me their address or any information so I can contact them please?
Thanks for you kind help

could anyone tell me where to find a decent high speed hand piece please?

Hey everyone, has anyone received an application complete email from ucla till now?

just a quick question.. overall toefl score 101 w 29 s 29 l 24 but reading 19.. and min for reading is 21. should i re take my toefl or is this fine.. pls suggest..

just a quick question.. overall toefl score 101 w 29 s 29 l 24 but reading 19.. and min for reading is 21. should i re take my toefl or is this fine.. pls suggest..

I suggest to call them. Your score should be fine since it's over 100, but not sure if they are strict about the numbers mentioned on their website or no.

Is the toefl code on the Caapid website for UCLA working?
Any application completion email from them so far..

Hi Rose82,
I am interested in buying the complete package that you are selling, can u Pm me all the details of the material u have

hi Rose 82
i am interested to buy everything....please pm me the details and pricing.

Hey,
Did you get to know if we could apply to UCLA, knowing that we do not meet the sectional criteria in TOEFL inspite of scoring of 100? Do you think they will accept our application?

Hey,
Did you get to know if we could apply to UCLA, knowing that we do not meet the sectional criteria in TOEFL inspite of scoring of 100? Do you think they will accept our application?
It's mandatory to meet their Toefl score requirements. It's mentioned on their website.

Hi, Did you get any response from the school for your query? I have a similar situation.

Thanks!

I suggest to call them. Your score should be fine since it's over 100, but not sure if they are strict about the numbers mentioned on their website or no.
Hi, Did you get any response from the school for your query? I have a similar situation.

Thanks!

Hi, Apologies for spamming the thread. But just wanted to check if the toefl sectional cutoff's are mandatory I have cleared the total cutoff and all the sectional cutoffs but for one. I tried reaching to the school but got no response as yet. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Hi, Apologies for spamming the thread. But just wanted to check if the toefl sectional cutoff's are mandatory I have cleared the total cutoff and all the sectional cutoffs but for one. I tried reaching to the school but got no response as yet. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

I'm trying to reach the school too. I have called and emailed but no one replied.

Could anyone tell me what kind of teeth do California schools use for the bench test? is it Columbia or Kilgore? help please.

columbia for USC, UCLA and loma Linda( southern CAL) and Kilgore for UOP and UCSF.( Northern Cal)

columbia for USC, UCLA and loma Linda( southern CAL) and Kilgore for UOP and UCSF.( Northern Cal)

someone said it is Kilgore for Loma Linda, I am not sure which one it is.

anyone know when we are suppose to receive or get to hear about interview calls?

just completion email...i received it yesterday...interviews will be in october...will be notified sept end...100 applicants r invited for the intw

I didnt get any email from ucla. Submitted the supplemental app on july 19. !!!

Any updates?

Last edited:
I feel sorry for you try to contact, nbde and ucla staff again, and request them to accept a new copy, if you have a sealed copy, send it as soon as possible.

I got a similar message stating that they didnt receive my nbde and toefl scores. i mailed the sealed copies myself along with the supplemental application all in one packet in july. They said they received my supplemental application but not the scores and hence cant consider my application for this cycle.!!!!

They just wrote applcation complete.. they ll send interview invites sept ending

Did anybody get an interview invitation ?
My friend told me she got an interview invitation today via e-mail

Anybody from New York going for UCLA interview?

Anyone interested in sharing accomodation for ucla interview?