UCLA extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mzeep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading a few threads about UCLA extension and none of them were exactly spectacular reviews, has anyone taken classes here in the past 2-3 years and have good experience?

Also, is this a better option than taking classes at a cc or cal state? I went to a UC so I'd like to continue in the quarter system rather a semester. I guess it doesn't matter since extension classes run at night anyway?

It's a lot of money to pull out for a single class so just wanted to know if it's worth it.My goal is to boost my gpa and retake some prereqs. I would only be taking the upper div courses.

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice/recommendations! :) and good luck to those of you applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SFSU offers a formal AE program if you live in the Bay

Unfortunately, I'm not in the Bay area. I have heard good things about their program though

Thanks jslo!! You're so helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is also CSU LA which has received a few positive reviews in the past if you're restricting yourself to socal.

I don't have any personal experience with the UCLA extension but did see a few negative reviews in the past including this one.

UCLA RAP (Re-App Program)

1) The Pros and Cons of their program.

Well, the pros are that it's UCLA and its a good name to have on your application....that's about all I can think of.

Cons - first of all, the most inconvienient thing is that you aren't considered a UCLA student at all. That means you don't get to register for classes like a normal human being. You have to wait until classes start and then add them through UCLA extension. Or you can just take extension classes, which are a complete joke (it's equivalent to community college, except much more expensive). Technically, you can even take your classes at a Cal State if you preferred. You technically have no association with the school, either. So that means you don't get a student ID card, so you don't have access to the gym or to the library on top of everything else. You can forget about financial aid as well. They give you like a $2000 stipend for the whole year, which really doesn't help considering the average class costs about $400-500 through UCLA extension. It's extremely difficult to get any financial aid, because you don't qualify for anything since you aren't working on any type of degree. There are some programs, but again they are through the extension, and they barely cover the cost of the classes, so you will be working to support yourself.

As far as support, there is very little. When you ask what kind of classes you should take, your advisor will leave it fully up to you. Everything is like that. Any question you have, they won't answer it for you. Partly because they don't know, and barely because they just don't have time. The people who run the program also work for the school of medicine, so they are usually busy with more important things (or at least it seems that way).

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.

I went to UCLA as an undergrad, so I knew which classes I needed to take over and which would help me from talking to friends who were in medical school. Unfortunately, the competitive classes that would have really prepared me were always full. I ended up adding one real UCLA science class per quarter, and then taking 2 more science classes through extension. The extension classes are an absolute joke. I've taken a few classes at community college, and they are on the same level. If you have a pulse and show up, you can easily get a B. If you put a minimal amount of effort, you can get an A. You're probably thinking, hey great, easy A's..that's exactly what I need. Not really...UCLA extension has their own seperate transcripts, so every school you apply to will know that it ain't real UCLA coursework. Most people who interview you will ask you about that. Even the difficult classes that you are able to add show up on extension transcripts, so no matter what it looks like you are trying to take a cake walk.

On top of all that, the classes don't even help prepare you for medical school. I remember I took a class through extension that was titled "Pathophysiology". I thought this would be a great class to help prepare me for medical school. It was a complete and utter joke. I can't describe how much of a joke it was. The professors are usually just part time faculty looking to make an extra buck, and it definitely shows. Also, extension classes are all at night, so everybody is tired and usually older, so it's a real drag going to class. If I hadn't added regular classes with the undergrads, I probably would have lost my mind.

Another classic was a nutrition class I took. The class consisted of turning in a handout. We would get a handout at the beginning of the class, fill out the handout, and then turn it in. That was it. Nothing else. This was supposed to be a college level class.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program

UMMM, HOW ABOUT THAT THERE WAS NO FINANCIAL AID??? AND THAT WE WEREN'T GOING TO BE UCLA STUDENTS? My main problem in undergrad was that I had to work to support myself...and surprise! I had to do it again during my post-bac. They also gave me some BS in the interview about how everyone in the program who gets a certain GPA in their post-bac classes and can improve their MCAT score to a certain amount is pretty much guaranteed to attend UCLA for medical school (they said 90%, which is a complete lie). I don't even think 90% of the people who do RAP even get into medical school. The number for getting into UCLA is more like 20% (based on my RAP class), and for medical school I would say anywhere from 50-75%.

They don't tell you jack about this program. You get surprise after pleasant surprise. It starts off in the summer, when they make you do the stupid PREP program with all the undergrads who have usually just finished their freshman or sophomore year. The program is great, but it is designed for UNDERGRADS. UCSD and UCD have a summer program too, but it is all MCAT prep from what I understand. That would have been much more helpful than a bunch of handholding, which is what PREP is. Very little time is spent on MCAT prep, and it is basically a waste of 6 weeks. After that, you meet with your counselor and you plan your schedule. This is how my meeting went -

Advisor - "Have you signed up for classes, yet?"

Me - "No, I was waiting to talk to you before I did so....so ummm...when do I get my registration date?"

Advisor - "Registration date? What are you talking about, you can register anytime you want?"

Me - "Really? So do we log on through URSA?" (the UCLA registration system)

Advisor - "Umm, no, thats only for UCLA students. You aren't considered a UCLA student. You have to sign up for classes through UCLA extension."

Me - "So that means I have to add classes if I want to take undergrad classes here?"

Advisor -"I'm not really sure how it works...you should find that out."

Me - "Ok...I'll look into it (trying my hardest not to blow up). So....what classes should I take?"

Advisor - "That's your job to figure out. I don't know. Whatever classes you think you need."

Me - "Ummm...ok."

That is pretty much how every topic went with my advisor. Same thing went for applying...it was a do it yourself kind of thing. There was no real MCAT prep available, no mock interviews. Nobody looked over my application or personal statement. It was a complete joke.

4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program

They would probably like me to say something good about the program.

I can't.

5) Tips for students applying to your program

Don't do it unless you plan on working, and you are ok with taking a bunch of classes that are a joke. If you enjoy not being considered a real student, not getting any real guidance, and overall just being ignored, then ya do this program. If I could go back in time, I would do the UC Davis or UC San Diego programs which are excellent programs. As far as I know, both programs have incredible directors who are very passionate about their students getting into medical school. They even have connections with admission committe members at other schools. When I asked my program director about which schools I should apply to, she told me to go look at the MSAR.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

I think it helped because it was something to put on my application. But I don't feel like it prepared me anymore for medical school, or made me a better applicant personally. It just helped me "play the game" a little better. But it definitely was a huge waste of time. If I could go back in time, I probably would have just done a Master's degree in something science related and retaken the MCAT on my own, or attended another school's post-bac.

7) Anything else you'd like to add

I actually did get into a UC for medical school, but I think it was more due to my own determination than any support I got from this program. I heard that they have a new director, so hopefully things will get better.
If you are planning to apply, make sure you ask them all these questions.

8) A rating from 1-5

If things are still the same, then a 1.

I took a peek at your MDapps. You're applying to osteopathic school and your current stats are a cGPA of 3.3 and a sGPA of 3.2 and no MCAT correct? Your GPA is lower than the competitive range for most osteopathic schools but with an MCAT score of 28-29+ you should get more than a few looks if you're applying to 24 osteopathic schools.

Some points of concern/interest would be you seem to have spent a long time conducting research, 2 years as a lab assistant and 3 years in neurochemistry research but no publication? Have you at least done a presentation or an abstract? I might be a bit confused by what you listed but 5 years without a publication or anything concrete/substantial to show for it is surprising to me since you have spent quite some time doing research. At the very least you should be able to obtain a solid letter from your PI outlining your efforts/achievements in the lab.

A positive point would be your diversity of E.Cs. and how they span both clinical and community giving balance to your application in that regard. You've also participated in them for extended periods of time (besides the low income volunteering) which demonstrates commitment. Possibly touch on leadership being a strong personal quality of yours in your PS and interviews. I would definitely try and obtain at least 2-3 quality LOR from supervisors to store in interfolio should you need them so as to support your E.C. claims.

To be honest, I think you have a legitamite shot without any AE courses provided you can land a solid MCAT and apply early. But your GPA is not high enough that a post-bacc/SMP program should be ruled out by any means either. It's your choice but if you're firm on your position to go into osteopathic medicine, my personal advice to you is to quickly do some research and find out which schools you are especially interested in and whether they offer a 1 year SMP/Masters/Certificate program with a strong linkage into their school. Osteopathic SMP programs usually accept a low number of students who wish to take graduate/medical school courses at their medical school with the intention of matriculating into that school's medical school class in the fall without a glide year. If there is a school that you are highly interested in, it should be an option you should consider highly imho.

Good luck

Yeah I did I spend a lot of time doing research, I honestly just enjoyed it more and more towards the end so I kept doing it. I did do an abstract and paper-type thing for my project but it was just something for my department to see what I was working on, nothing like a publication. Do you think adcoms would looks at this negatively? I liked research but I mean it's definitely not something I could for the rest of my life I def learned that while I was there.

I do have an excellent LOR from my PI! I felt like I really had to have one from her. She knows me really well so I hope it comes across positively!

As for the lab assistant job, I was really in need of a job and the lab assistant was the first option that came my way (and paid well!) so I took it. Although that was my title, I was more of an administrative assistant, should probably change the title come to think of it.

I will definitely look into linkage programs! I didn't think of that. I'm actually going to scratch the Big 4 off my list, as much as I want to be a doctor I want to exhaust all my options before considering the Caribbean.

Does it look bad to apply to the school and their Ms/postbac program?

Oh and I'm actually waiting to hear back from CSU LA I applied to their certificate program last month :xf:

Thanks jslo!

No it won't be negative if you put down under the description of the E.C. that you did an abstract and "presentation". Research is looked upon favorably and you have spent significant time inside the lab, it was just concerning if you had nothing substantial to show for it. The LOR from your PI will go a long way as she is someone who has mentored you for 3 years and can attest to both your professional and personal demeanor and other qualities.

Publications for a pre-med are actually not that common. Other people can argue me on this but show me some facts on how many pre-meds have published 1st or 2nd author in a reputable peer reviewed journal? I'm willing to bet money that it's a subtantially small percentage. If you do, kudos and much props but if you don't, then it's hardly something expected.

The title itself doesn't matter as much as your description of the duties that you fulfilled and what you gained/learned.

As for the Caribbean it's your call but I personally agree and believe you have far more options available with a solid MCAT score that you can do medical school within the United States.

If you apply to both the medical school and the post-bacc I could concievably reason that it shows that you have little confidence in your own chances of entering medical school with your current stats but I don't feel like it would significantly affect you negatively. If you have these questions, I would take a look at some programs that require you to take courses with the MS1s and allow you to transfer the credit provided you matriculate into their medical school in the Fall upon completion that way you can cover both bases. Some medical schools refer you to their Masters/post-bacc program if they deem that you are uncompetitive for their medical school class.

UCLA RAP vs. UCLA Extension

From the sounds of that review, it seems as though the person that reviewed UCLA extension did so from the perspective of an applicant who applied and was accepted to the URM Post-bacc program offered by UCLA. I have no familiarity with it so I don't have any way to critique or offer counter points for the arguement.

UCLA Extension on the other hand is simply another way to enroll in classes and as with any extension program you cannot expect it to be on the level of the university itself. You do not have an advisor and you do not have the same level of faculty.

My instructor for the course I am currently taking recently completed her Masters in Physiological Science (UCLA's physiology degree) and is friendly and seems to know her stuff. I agree that all of the courses are at night, they are generally older students (although mine seems to be relatively recent graduates looking to fullfill medical school requirements) and they are essentially "dumbed down" versions of the real course through UCLA.

That said, I did take the exact same course that I am taking now through UCLA and I can speak to the fact that we use the same book, have the same labs and learn "almost" the same information. Is it slightly easier? yes. Is it MUCH less expensive than taking the same course through UCLA? YES. The courses through extension range from $500-600, some slightly more. The exact same class through "real" UCLA during the summer would be $1400.

For the purposes of Osteopathic schools looking for a re-take of the pre-requisite courses, extension serves its purpose. They provide a cheaper environment to take courses while working. It is not meant to be a full time program but instead a way to help people who either need to do some GPA repair/retakes or complete coursework while still working a full time job. Most classes meet MW or TTh from 6:30-9:30 or similar or are Saturdays from 9-1 or some other long course. Again, they are meant for you to be able to carry a full time job while taking the courses.

From the perspective of the reviewer jslo posted, I can see how he woudl be frustrated. They were enrolled in the re-app program and expected it to be through UCLA. For the purposes of someone looking just to enroll in classes it is a great option over community college. You will pay more for it but IMO it still looks better coming from a major university than re-taking through CC. I'd recommend it if you are just looking to retake a few courses or know exactly what you need, I would not recommend it as a form post-bacc or for anyone requiring the guidance and expectations of an undergrad/post-grad student

I will most likely be going through with UCLA ext. For now it seems like the best option and I like the scheduling of classes and prices lol, just wish I didn't have to retake stuff!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

UCLA extension isn't so bad, i think it depends on the person.
my old roommate is going to UMich and her boyfriend goes to georgetown MS I right now, they both did UCLA Ext after respective UC educations.

I am currently enrolled at UCLA Extension (and graduated from UCLA), and it is slightly easier than the UCLA equivalent.

I did have a question about the courses from UCLA extension that did count towards your undergraduate GPA. I know the UCLA course numbering (0-99 for lower division, 100-200 for upper division), but they have "400" courses which are called "post-bac." Any idea if these can go towards your GPA?

I am currently enrolled at UCLA Extension (and graduated from UCLA), and it is slightly easier than the UCLA equivalent.

I did have a question about the courses from UCLA extension that did count towards your undergraduate GPA. I know the UCLA course numbering (0-99 for lower division, 100-200 for upper division), but they have "400" courses which are called "post-bac." Any idea if these can go towards your GPA?

I'd assume that they would be able to. Depending on the course though they seem to be professional level courses (ie pharm, etc.) so i'm not sure if they will fall towards science GPA or not. Regardless, all courses taken after you obtain your agree will be factored into your GPA as post-bac

I am also considering taking the UCLA extension route...i majored in Biology at UC Riverside...and have significantly low science GPA. I applied to PA schools (waitlisted right now) but highly doubt I will get in. I applied to a Master program in Medical Science..still waiting to hear back... but considering a back up plan.
Do you guys suggest I just take few classes here or actually take the "certificate" program. Would that look better in anyway?? Money wise the classes are same price whether you are in certificate program or not...and If I do the certificate program..I will end up being stuck in Calculus which I did well in during my undergrad but not sure if I can handle it again.
Any suggestions?? Please advise! thanksss

Any feedback guys?? I ended up waitlisted in Masters in Med Science as well (just my luck!)...so do you think UCLA extension is a good route for GPA enhancement??

I can't see why it would be a negative choice but if you chose this route, then I wouldn't participate in the certificate program. There seems to be too much rigidity in requiring you to take a certain amount of units in mathematics, physics, etc. when you would really want most of your curriculum to be composed almost purely of hard sciences/medically related sciences.

I'd ask DbDan since he's been through the UCLA extension before as an informal post-bacc but as for me, I'm a bit wary having read both positive and negative reviews of courses taken through the extension.

Which M.S. program did you get waitlisted in and did you not apply to any others?

I can't see why it would be a negative choice but if you chose this route, then I wouldn't participate in the certificate program. There seems to be too much rigidity in requiring you to take a certain amount of units in mathematics, physics, etc. when you would really want most of your curriculum to be composed almost purely of hard sciences/medically related sciences.

I'd ask DbDan since he's been through the UCLA extension before as an informal post-bacc but as for me, I'm a bit wary having read both positive and negative reviews of courses taken through the extension.

Which M.S. program did you get waitlisted in and did you not apply to any others?

Thanks for posting..yes that makes sense..I should solely focus on the hard sciences instead of the certificate one.
I got waitlisted at WesternU MSMS but I am in the middle of the waitlist rank so I am sure there is no chance to get in. I didn't apply to others because I don't have a 3.0 cum. GPA which is the requirement almost everywhere...and I don't want to relocate from Southern Cali for a post bac. I am hoping to get into PA school...which is competitive but not as competitive as MD programs..so I think it would be a better and cheaper choice to go through extension.

Thanks for posting..yes that makes sense..I should solely focus on the hard sciences instead of the certificate one.
I got waitlisted at WesternU MSMS but I am in the middle of the waitlist rank so I am sure there is no chance to get in. I didn't apply to others because I don't have a 3.0 cum. GPA which is the requirement almost everywhere...and I don't want to relocate from Southern Cali for a post bac. I am hoping to get into PA school...which is competitive but not as competitive as MD programs..so I think it would be a better and cheaper choice to go through extension.

Have you looked into Cal Sate LA's postbac? I applied there but haven't heard anything back though so I can't tell you if it's difficult or not to get in. I will be taking UCLA ext. this summer and I probably will throughout next year to bring my gpa up. I *think* it will be cheaper than CalStateLA.

I don't know if you're in the 818 but you could try CSUN classes too. Although I did try last Spring and could not get a professor for either of two classes I was trying to get into, to let me in. So I'm taking my basic math courses I need at CC and I'm going to take my sciences at UCLA ext.

I know what you mean though, leaving CA for a postbac seemed too drastic of a move, but I do think you have some options here before you would have to consider leaving.

Anyway, if you have any questions about UCLA ext you should really ask DbDan

:luck:

Last edited:

Oh Western's new Masters program. Yeah don't they accept about 25 some students and 4 of those linking straight into the medical school? I think I saw Dan mentioning that in the past.

Anyway, Mzeep has had experience in the so-cal post-bacc system so I would take her advice for that. What are your stats in particular? The reason why I'm asking is that I know that LECOM's biomedical program isn't full the last time I spoke to another accepted student who was able to get a hold of Tom Ross. It's a graduate linkage program as well but for LECOM out in Pennsylvania and it is somewhat late in the cycle but I think you don't have much to lose by submitting an application now. Some rough points of interest would be to obtain a guaranteed interview requires a 3.0 in the program and a 22+ MCAT, which is a "strong predictor" of gaining acceptance into the Fall medical school class. 29/40 was the number of students last year in the program who gained acceptance back into LECOM with three other students heading to other osteopathic schools (DMU-COM, WVSOM and NYCOM). So another possible option for you if you want to look into that, otherwise go ahead with Mzeep's advice because it probably meets most of your requirements.

I'll be finishing my first UCLA extension course next week (actually sitting in it right now). It is a good course, and the material is very comparable to the original UCLA class. It is fast paced because there is only 2 meetings a week for a 5 unit course and 1 of the meetings is usually lab.

The lab materials seem to be 2nd hand. The dissection we did used fixed rats instead of recently sacrificed ones like the UCLA course uses. The histology slides are old and someone difficult to read because of it. Not sure how the chem labs are because I haven't taken them yet.

One thing to be very aware of is to be ready to work. Unlike normal UCLA courses it seems that you can drop at any time without risk of getting a W (not sure on this but it seems this way). My course started with the max 25 people plus a full waitlist. Currently there is a total of 14 people including myself in lecture. Many of the lower grades drop and this means that there will likely be no curve, despite the material being the same as a highly curved and difficult UCLA course. I'm currently sitting at a 93% but I'm also still scared of falling to an A-, something I would have laughed at during my time as an UG in this course.

Teacher availability is also questionable. My teacher (recently graduated Masters student who will be attending Med School next year) is not available outside of class hours. She is willing to meet with students directly after class but there is no set office hours time. If you are expecting to be able to get to know your professors and get LORs or you are someone who needs to be able to have the professor be available to answer questions, you might need to look elsewhere. Then again, this is the only course I have taken so it could be different with other teachers.

Also, EVERY student in the pre-med coursework is doing it for med school. Many were not science majors and the remainder are re-taking the course. You will need to work to earn your grades. This shouldn't really matter if you are actually dedicated to making it into med school anyway though.

Cali818, if you are just re-taking courses there is no reason to do the certificate program, they seem to have fairly rigid requirements that are meant to help you meet med school requirements. Obviously, you already meet these so there is no reason to have to re-take calculus just for a piece of paper saying you completed a program. I chose to decline MSMS at Western for UCLA because it allows me to work as well as take courses and does not leave me in a ton of debt. Also, since I was at UCLA for UG the courses are direct replacements for me for the purposes of AACOMAS and I'm familiar with the campus, people and course requirements. On the down side, you don't get access to the majority of campus resources (gym, library, etc.) as an extension student. This is not a big deal for me because I am commuting but it could be for someone looking for more out of the program and their enrollment.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone who has done UCLA Extension know whether classes in the Physiological Sciences Department labeled 400 X (Ex. Physiological Science X 459.10 Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body) count towards science GPA? The people at the office seem to know nothing. It's really quite frustrating. I also asked AMCAS and they could not answer the question. They said when you fill out your app, you can list the courses under whatever category you think they go under. If there is some discrepancy they will change it and notify the schools. Which is great, but I want to know ahead of time before taking the course. If it doesn't count towards the BCPM gpa then there is really no point in taking it. I just don't understand why it is such a difficult question to get an answer for.

Physiological Science should fall under Biology

Did you ever figure this out at all? I am currently in the same boat and I took 400X courses also. I can't seem to find the answer but the program manager at the extension office said that some are considered upper div and some aren't but for the most part, no classes in extension are taught at the level of UCLA undergraduates. I am assuming that because they fall within AMCASS's BCPM categories, they will count towards your post bac BCPM GPA.

Does anyone who has done UCLA Extension know whether classes in the Physiological Sciences Department labeled 400 X (Ex. Physiological Science X 459.10 Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body) count towards science GPA? The people at the office seem to know nothing. It's really quite frustrating. I also asked AMCAS and they could not answer the question. They said when you fill out your app, you can list the courses under whatever category you think they go under. If there is some discrepancy they will change it and notify the schools. Which is great, but I want to know ahead of time before taking the course. If it doesn't count towards the BCPM gpa then there is really no point in taking it. I just don't understand why it is such a difficult question to get an answer for.

Did you ever figure this out at all? I am currently in the same boat and I took 400X courses also. I can't seem to find the answer but the program manager at the extension office said that some are considered upper div and some aren't but for the most part, no classes in extension are taught at the level of UCLA undergraduates. I am assuming that because they fall within AMCASS's BCPM categories, they will count towards your post bac BCPM GPA.