UCLA-Harbor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeGyn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, wish I new about it earlier!
Does anyone know any information about the program. I heard the residents aren't happy. I know it is a county facility with poor ancillary support. Did anyone rotate through there to give more info? I also heard they have lost a few residents and didn't fill the match last year.

Members don't see this ad.

BeGyn said:
I'm new to this forum, wish I new about it earlier!
Does anyone know any information about the program. I heard the residents aren't happy. I know it is a county facility with poor ancillary support. Did anyone rotate through there to give more info? I also heard they have lost a few residents and didn't fill the match last year.

I interviewed there and was seriously underwhelmed. And I really wanted to like the place...but, they were so disorganized, the faculty were not the nicest people, it was in a crappy hospital and crappy part of town, the delivery numbers are piss poor, they have serious issues with minimally invasive training, and although i didn't get the feeling that it was truly malignant, it sure didn't seem friendly.

All that being said, I think the PD is incredible, and trying to get things on the right track. But, given the training, the personalities (other than the PD), and the fact that the pay sucks in a very expensive part of the world, they wound up off my list before the interview was even over.

I had a similar experience on my interview day.... it was totally disorganized, no real tour of the hospital, one of my interviewers just skipped out on my interview and later when I saw her in the office she didn't say anything to me at all or even smile! Lots of sitting around and hoping someone would pay attention to us. I agree that OB numbers seemed horribly low. And they don't do C-sections intern year. For a program that filled half their spots last year, maybe they should do a better job on interview day to recruit some good residents!

Members don't see this ad :)
daisyduke said:
I had a similar experience on my interview day.... it was totally disorganized, no real tour of the hospital, one of my interviewers just skipped out on my interview and later when I saw her in the office she didn't say anything to me at all or even smile! Lots of sitting around and hoping someone would pay attention to us. I agree that OB numbers seemed horribly low. And they don't do C-sections intern year. For a program that filled half their spots last year, maybe they should do a better job on interview day to recruit some good residents!

Yeah, I forgot about c-sections, and I had an interviewer cancel as well! The department chair, no less. I was thinking it was because I must not have been a competitive candidate, but then I just realized that it was because they are not a competitive program.

I was bummed, though. That was the interview I was very excited to get, and the program was on my pre-interview top 5, if not top 2.

I agree with all of the above posts. When I went for the interview, I didn't meet with any residents because they were all in the OR that day. I went to lunch with 2 secretaries. I contacted the program about 4 different times to try to set up a time to meet with the residents sometime when I was back in LA for other interviews, and they never followed up. I finally decided I was done going out of my way to meet with a program that didn't match many of their slots last year and still couldn't get it together enough to set up a meeting with a resident for someone showing interest in revisiting their program. I was impressed with their new Program Director though, but she can only count for so much.