ucla international program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubydent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hiii.... i wanna ask u guys few questions about ucla programs for international dentist
1-the recommendation letters must be from my professors??

2-does the person who writs the recommendation letter must send it him self to ucla or i can do that with rest of my papers??

3-the recommendation letter must contain hand writing or it could be printed???

4- do they ask for long experience to get approval coz i just graduated 2 years ago?????

5 - will it insures me getting the visa after being accepted or i could be denied in the embassy here in egypt???????

sorry guys to ask too much but i couldnt get any answer from the ucla contact information ,,,really appreciate ur help

Members don't see this ad.

hiii.... i wanna ask u guys few questions about ucla programs for international dentist
1-the recommendation letters must be from my professors??

2-does the person who writs the recommendation letter must send it him self to ucla or i can do that with rest of my papers??

3-the recommendation letter must contain hand writing or it could be printed???

4- do they ask for long experience to get approval coz i just graduated 2 years ago?????

5 - will it insures me getting the visa after being accepted or i could be denied in the embassy here in egypt???????

sorry guys to ask too much but i couldnt get any answer from the ucla contact information ,,,really appreciate ur help

1-one of them must be from the dean, the others are your choice
2- no, but it should be in a sealed envelope with the signature of the professor on the seal
3-it should be signed from the person who is writing it. the text could be written or typed
4-list all of your experience (2 years is ok)
5-i don't know how are the things in egypt but every embassy would appreciate a form from any university

and 1 question from me
what are your stats

Members don't see this ad :)
thx u so much for ur help ,,it means if u got all the papers then u will be accepted in the program or they may have reasons to deny???????!!!
by the way ,,what do u mean with my state ????? coz confused tooth send laughin icon ,,,hey i wanna know first and i will answer u ,,,, :)

what are your part 1, toefl and gpa

yes its toefl ,,, wish me luck,,,i really wanna join this program >>>>>>>> do u think they may refuse me ??????

please everyone applying to UCLA for 2009 cycle post ur scores and experience..thanks and goodluck

HI All
I am currently in 4th year(2ny yr. PPID at UCLA)
I am coming back to the forum after a long time as I have no time left when school is on.
I would like to help you guys as I was in same position not so long ago.
So as per admission ,
Rule no.1, you are unique ok..... You have to believe in yourself before you want others to do so.Trust me , youcan get there.(we all do)

RULE NO.2-COMPETE WITH YOURSELF.Don't ask scores around to other people.It only depresses you and lowers your self esteem.People with score lower than you will not respond and higher than you would love to drag you down.So,Give it all to your NDB 1 . COMPETE WITH YOURSELF.Don't mentally limit yourself to 90 scoring person.Think higher and you'll be there:thumbup:

I can just tell you that I scored when I totally stopped talking and asking people, formed my own strategies, my own goals... and thus success in end was all my own.Sweet feeling...............

Shoot me any ques, I'll answer during my break till 6/30.

hi dentzy,
i have heard serious concerns about UCLA's patient pool being insufficient.
the hue & cry was sufficient enough for me to avoid going to UCLA & opting for PENN as i had a choice last year.
i am happy at PENN ,
anyways i was still curious about UCLA's students constantly complaining of less patients!!!
what do u have to say as an international student at UCLA???

hey dentzy
nice one
keep going

hello dentzy, i wanted to ask, besides the score, what does UCLA look at? what is more emphasis put on? I know they want clincal exp and what not but besides that, anything special they're looking for?would it be better if somebody volunteered at ucla rather than some other dentists office? are they 'very picky'...what do they want? hope u can help.

Hi Dentzy

Can u please describe your interview experience ( what u remember of it ..i know it has been a long time )
what preparation should I prepare for?
what was the average score for part I acceptance?

Thanks!

hi dentzy,
i have heard serious concerns about UCLA's patient pool being insufficient.
the hue & cry was sufficient enough for me to avoid going to UCLA & opting for PENN as i had a choice last year.
i am happy at PENN ,
anyways i was still curious about UCLA's students constantly complaining of less patients!!!
what do u have to say as an international student at UCLA???

I had heard all these things too before I selected it.So ,instead of "listening to people"(who guide you wrong a lot of times),I went there(and to other school),saw for myself and made my choice.
Today,I have 35 patients of my own,don't know who to get in and who not
and am among the most intellectual crowd of students and world renowned faculty.What can I say.....can I complain?
I got the bigger half of cake.........
Every single day, I thank God for being a part of UCLA.:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
hello dentzy, i wanted to ask, besides the score, what does UCLA look at? what is more emphasis put on? I know they want clincal exp and what not but besides that, anything special they're looking for?would it be better if somebody volunteered at ucla rather than some other dentists office? are they 'very picky'...what do they want? hope u can help.

You know,it is always hard to say what they like you for.
But from your side,don't leave anything .It is your one chance.Go grab it.

Make everything look good.NDB scores, work/volunteer experience, SOP, Resume,letters of recommendations,good interview.I would say err on safer side.
And plea.....se be honest only.A lot of students beef it up with lies.Depends on you.... but lies always catch up with you at some point.
If you do get an oppurtunity to volunteer at UCLA,why not?
But if not, it's not the end of the world.I know only 1 person who volunteered and is in school with me.But she had a good score.

I know" Masters "helps people to get in as well.

Spare yourself reading all this and there's one takeaway message:
Great NDB 1 SCORE, YOU'RE ALMOST KNOCKING AT UCLA door.
Good interviewas well -Welcome to UCLA

Hi Dentzy

Can u please describe your interview experience ( what u remember of it ..i know it has been a long time )
what preparation should I prepare for?
what was the average score for part I acceptance?

Thanks!

My interview exp. -was one of my favourite at UCLA.
There are 4 interviewers-wonderful people.They go out of the way to make you comfortable.
They just want to know you as a person, they ask....tell us something about you as a person,your school, dentistry in your country and how do you find it different here9if you've worked here), your hobbies/if you're married or not ,family/spouse etc.
My advice: Don't try and impress them with your dental knowledge/topic unless you really know your share inside out.They are master clinicians of their subjects.3 of them are chair persons of their deptts. and 1 is Group director.

average Part I score was 90 & above.
i met one student with 97% in Part I.
exercises: MOD onlay on #3, class II MO on #19, PFM ON #8
bench exam was tough & was the major determinant as in all other california schools.
there were 36 candidates for a total of 12 seats last year.

And now any more questions?

Hi Dentzy, Its nice to know tht there r candidates like to help others and i hope we will meet for sure sometime either as student or alumni .....bt anywayz can u plz let me knw hw they access TOEFL score as on website they have specifically mentioned the score distribution and asking for more than 25 in speaking and writting .............I m sure UCLA would be giving imp for this ?? I need ur feedback !!! and what last and most IMP ur opinion abt wht is best way to get score of more than 92 in ONE month .......ur honest opinion !!! with regards to what to be read ???

Sorry guys for having such a long quesstionnarie as I once I get in to the flow its diffcult !!!

Anywayz Thanks in advance !!!!

hi dentzy,
Hi Kapadiakk,thx for the info. I am going to apply at UPenn.
My status r NBDE 1: 89(new)
Toefl:93 (I am going to do it again next week to improve it)
GPA:3.32
So,could u give me any advice helping me in my admission

HI All
I am currently in 4th year(2ny yr. PPID at UCLA)
I am coming back to the forum after a long time as I have no time left when school is on.
I would like to help you guys as I was in same position not so long ago.
So as per admission ,
Rule no.1, you are unique ok..... You have to believe in yourself before you want others to do so.Trust me , youcan get there.(we all do)

RULE NO.2-COMPETE WITH YOURSELF.Don't ask scores around to other people.It only depresses you and lowers your self esteem.People with score lower than you will not respond and higher than you would love to drag you down.So,Give it all to your NDB 1 . COMPETE WITH YOURSELF.Don't mentally limit yourself to 90 scoring person.Think higher and you'll be there:thumbup:

I can just tell you that I scored when I totally stopped talking and asking people, formed my own strategies, my own goals... and thus success in end was all my own.Sweet feeling...............

Shoot me any ques, I'll answer during my break till 6/30.
Hi Dentzy..thanx alot for this great help...do u know what's the average score last year based on new pattern..thanx

My interview exp. -was one of my favourite at UCLA.
There are 4 interviewers-wonderful people.They go out of the way to make you comfortable.
They just want to know you as a person, they ask....tell us something about you as a person,your school, dentistry in your country and how do you find it different here9if you've worked here), your hobbies/if you're married or not ,family/spouse etc.
My advice: Don't try and impress them with your dental knowledge/topic unless you really know your share inside out.They are master clinicians of their subjects.3 of them are chair persons of their deptts. and 1 is Group director.

Hi! DENTZY...thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am planning to apply for PPID program this year. I would really appreciate if you can tell me more about the bench exam that is held for admission into the PPID. I searched the website but couldn't find details about the same. What is expected of the applicants? Do we have to carry our own instruments? Please guide.

Dentzy, one more question...UCLA requires a minimum score of 87 on the TOEFL...and for each section they require a minimum score...and in the writing they want a 25 .
even though i have a cumulative score of 104 on toefl, my writing section i have a 24. should i retake? i already applied for re-evaluation but i got my result and there's no change in score.

Hi Dentzy, Its nice to know tht there r candidates like to help others and i hope we will meet for sure sometime either as student or alumni .....bt anywayz can u plz let me knw hw they access TOEFL score as on website they have specifically mentioned the score distribution and asking for more than 25 in speaking and writting .............I m sure UCLA would be giving imp for this ?? I need ur feedback !!!

Regarding TOEFL scores etc,I would like to help you all but I am really no authority to tell you what's ok with them and what's not.You will have to ask them personally if they will make exception to their rules in a specific case.But normally when a school gives a minimum score limit , they want/expect people to have more than that .

and what last and most IMP ur opinion abt wht is best way to get score of more than 92 in ONE month .......ur honest opinion !!! with regards to what to be read ???

There's no shortcut acc. to me unless you're revising...that's what i think.People may have known/done/heard otherwise.

Sorry guys for having such a long quesstionnarie as I once I get in to the flow its diffcult !!!

Anywayz Thanks in advance !!!!

Hi Dentzy..thanx alot for this great help...do u know what's the average score last year based on new pattern..thanx

Hmm..I didn't really ask people for their scores but ok..as much as I know

1 person-96/97
3 people-94
2-3-92
2-3 - high 80s.

Hi! DENTZY...thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am planning to apply for PPID program this year. I would really appreciate if you can tell me more about the bench exam that is held for admission into the PPID. I searched the website but couldn't find details about the same.

Bench top test-PFM ON #8,MOD onlay on #3, class II MO on #19

What is expected of the applicants? Do we have to carry our own instruments? Please guide.

They will provide you with everything.

Dentzy, one more question...UCLA requires a minimum score of 87 on the TOEFL...and for each section they require a minimum score...and in the writing they want a 25 .
even though i have a cumulative score of 104 on toefl, my writing section i have a 24. should i retake? i already applied for re-evaluation but i got my result and there's no change in score.

I feel bad for you but I would say, better take it now and improve your chance rather than repenting later.:thumbup:

well i score 110 on toefel but i have 24 in writting so i asked ucla they said it does not matter i dont have to retake it..i hope that helps!!!!

Thank you DENTZY!! I appreciate ur prompt reply.

hunny110 did u call them or go there personally? i dont know man...just feels like i dont want them to eliminate my app just because of toefl

ok thanks hunny100 and thanks DENTZY for ur help and advise.

anyone applying for UCLA , can u please post ur scores and experience
thanks

i havent done nbde yet...gonna take it july 11th...what about u? did u already apply?

hello fellow dentists, im in a bit of a dilemma and i feel that you will help me sort it out.
I have scheduled my exam for July 11th...but i feel i need 2-3 days extra so I am planning on moving it to July 14th. so, my question is....i am only applying to california schools (UOP,UCSF,UCLA,USC)...and I was hoping you could give me an answer to the following q's
1- how long did it take for your result to come out
2- if i take exam july 14th, then roughly result comes out by august 14th...
is that enough time to make it for the september 2nd deadline?
3- how long does ADA take to mail out scores to schools?
4- can i request copies of score from ADA and mail them out myself?

reply will be appreciated very much.
god bless us all and good luck to everybody!

hello fellow dentists, im in a bit of a dilemma and i feel that you will help me sort it out.
I have scheduled my exam for July 11th...but i feel i need 2-3 days extra so I am planning on moving it to July 14th. so, my question is....i am only applying to california schools (UOP,UCSF,UCLA,USC)...and I was hoping you could give me an answer to the following q's
1- how long did it take for your result to come out
2- if i take exam july 14th, then roughly result comes out by august 14th...
is that enough time to make it for the september 2nd deadline?
3- how long does ADA take to mail out scores to schools?
4- can i request copies of score from ADA and mail them out myself?

reply will be appreciated very much.
god bless us all and good luck to everybody!
hi i m exaclty inn the same boat...applying just to california schools..i m taking nbde 1 on 1 august...it takes two weeks for result to arrive...ece and toefl mail scores in 10 days which can be sent direcly to the schools ...

thanks hunny for ur input. but dont u think u'll be pushing it by taking it aug 1st etc?

anybody else have any advice?

thanks hunny for ur input. but dont u think u'll be pushing it by taking it aug 1st etc?

anybody else have any advice?

well u r absolutely right..but all the remaining schools other then ucla has 15th september dead line...since i m retaking part 1 i need to improve my score and can't take risk of taking exam unless i m confident enough that i will score good

nope. all schools are 2nd...except USC....

guys please advice!!!!!!!!!!

can some pls temme how is the The Advanced Dentistry in General Dentistry PRECEPTORSHIP PROGRAM in UCLA??

wat r the things they require? teaching ,etc???
I'll be passing out of coll in aug 08

hi indian graduate
just a piece of advice from my own experience,
DON'T TRY PUSHING YOUR EXAMS BACK,
it won't help u at all.
even after one more month of preparation u will feel u need 2-3 days more.
believe in yourself & do it the same day as u have booked for.
u remember in india, exam dates are fixed, we are not allowed to change it,
just go with that system & u will do well.
all the best,

Can you tell me the link to download the application for UOP college of dentistry.Please let me know when they start inteviews and when they conduct a practical exam?I am not very perfect on MOD ONLAYS...SO ARE THE CHANCES VERY FRAGILE...I want to know is it worth applying to california schools if we r not perfect in practical .Please advise.

Friendly information for applicants for UCLA PPID Program:
I have recently graduated from UCLA PPID program. Well, I have learned a lot in that program, mostly in restorative, removable prosth and general dentistry. The school did not have sufficient number of patients, which made me to advertise a lot, and bring some of my patients. However, I did graduate on time and had no problem regarding that. So UCLA PPID program might be good for general dentists. But, if you are planning to apply for the residency, I DO NOT recommend the UCLA PPID program at all. It might be the opposite for the domestic students, but does not work for international ones. First of all, they don't accept their own PPID students in their own residency programs, which is unlike most of other schools. The director of ortho program has stated few times that they have no position in their program for the PPID students. Also, at UCLA School of dentistry, they don't treat their foreign students and the regular ones equally. Some faculties even belittle the PPID students. Their system is pass, fail and honors/ EPR, even if you get 20 EPRs and honors in the 2 years, they still probably wouldn't write you good recommendation letters, as they do for their regular students. As they might think the domestic students are better because they might have received 40 honors in the 4 years!!!!!! Specially that the NBDE is pass and fail now, I think it is really important if your school would rank you, give you good recommendation letters or accept you in their residency programs. In our class none of the PPIDs got accepted in OS, ortho or pedo!!! Same thing happened to the class ahead of ours. However, all the other applicants who applied to these specialties got in. I think this is unfair!