UCLA-Kern Psychiatry Residency Program chair removed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
The only curiosity I could find was that he graduated from medical school at age 24, but maybe that was normal at that time and place (South Korea, 1969). He is 70—maybe they wanted him to retire.

Edit: According to the 3 reviews on vitals.com, he was arrogant, not fluent in English, rude, and incompetent. But that's only 3 reviews.

Edit 2: The residency is in a county hospital that since 2013 has been managed by a private company under CEO Russell Judd. The hospital had been losing money for years and at this time last year Judd said he was going to lay people off.

Edit 3: They just hired a new CFO this January to help reduce financial losses even more. According to county records, in 2013, Tai Yoo made 364,998.00. It looks like the new CEO and CFO are looking to trim fat at the hospital and reduce losses. When Judd signed on in 2013, he was being paid $366,000 by the county with up to $300,000 a year in incentive pay. It does sound like has significantly reduced losses.

Last edited:
The only curiosity I could find was that he graduated from medical school at age 24, but maybe that was normal at that time and place (South Korea, 1969). He is 70—maybe they wanted him to retire.
that is normal in the rest of the world. i too graduated medical school at 24 (and some people in my class were 23). let's not forget doogie howser either!

Reactions: 3 users
I feel for the residents. I wish them the very best. I'd be a bit panicked myself.

Reactions: 1 user
I saw this happen in my program in 2001 purely due to financial issues that other programs were having. They simply looked at the $$ brought in vs. salary paid out for each attending at the entire med u. and cut those bringing in the least.

Sad story. It's very sad to see that in some parts of the country, mental health is seen as a luxury that's expendable.

Any updates as to what actually happened here? Sounds like the program is in shambles now. I was gonna apply here but doesn't like it anymore.

Any updates as to what actually happened here? Sounds like the program is in shambles now. I was gonna apply here but doesn't like it anymore.

I'd say that's probably a good idea.

But it's a program in Cali...doesn't that mean it's filled with unicorns that fart rainbows?

Reactions: 1 users
It does fart. Going to California and living in Bakersfield is like vacationing in Paris and eating at MacDonald’s.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah, so you have eaten a Parisian big Mac. The Mac Donald’s macaroons in Paris are to die for. It sounds weird, but the locals are loco over them.

Pulp fiction, but I believe John T. just came back from Amsterdam.

Reactions: 1 users
Any updates on how the place is doing? Is it still going to be sticking around after probation and is a wise place to end up? I heard the FM program at the institution shut down so I am wondering if the psychiatry program will have the same fate.

Last edited: