UCLA MPH vs Columbia MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lj8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently got accepted to both the UCLA's MPH program (Health Policy and Management) and Columbia University's MPH program ( Health Policy and Management). Both sound like amazing schools, so I am having a difficult decision deciding. I was hoping to get some advice from past applicants/ current applicants about the pros/cons about both programs. I am more interested in the health management aspects. I would really appreciate some feedback :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just recently got accepted to both the UCLA's MPH program (Health Policy and Management) and Columbia University's MPH program ( Health Policy and Management). Both sound like amazing schools, so I am having a difficult decision deciding. I was hoping to get some advice from past applicants/ current applicants about the pros/cons about both programs. I am more interested in the health management aspects. I would really appreciate some feedback :) Thanks!
First off, congrats! Those are both great schools. I can't give too much insight as I'm not a current student or a HPM applicant, but definitely make sure you consider location in this case. Those are two very different locations. Depending on which school you choose, you could end up staying in that region for a while.

They are both awesome schools. As a personal preference I would rather be in LA, but I am from CA and have family there. As IntriguedStudent wrote you'll definitely want to consider the area you would prefer to be after you graduate. Although going to one school I'm sure would not preclude you from finding work in other states, it would probably be easiest in the location you completed your program in. Good luck on making your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice, for whatever it's worth, is to compare:
1. The faculty. Who are the stars of the program, but also who are you most likely to have the most contact with and how do their interests and experience match with your interests and goals?
2. The course offerings. If you can get access to the actual catalog, even better (this can help with Step 1, too). What does each school cover in depth and what specialty courses do they offer?
3. Ask your contact at each school to put you in touch with current students (both 1st and 2nd years, if possible). Find out from these students where recent graduates are working, how supported they feel by the school and faculty, and whether---knowing what they know now---they'd still have gone to that school. And, of course, anything else you'd like to ask.

Congratulations on your acceptances! You have two great programs to choose from. You just have to figure out now which one can offer you the best chance at getting on the career path you want. Good luck!

Thank you Boxer Boy, JaneOakmede, and Intrigued Student for all the helpful advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Boxer Boy, JaneOakmede, and Intrigued Student for all the helpful advice!

Asides from the ranking (in terms of Health Policy and Management they are both on the same level of ranking), I think to take into consideration something I realized later on after my first masters is that you should see where you want too live after your degree? Where do you want to build your connections, career and future.

LA and NYC are completely different arenas.

I think Columbia is also more research and humanitarian based, if this is something you're interested in.

Do you mind if I ask you how long ago your interview was at Columbia? I just had mind, and I keep refreshing my email...

@Orchidmph I am not sure about the exact day but it should had been around January 12-15th? Did you apply to Columbia for the MPH-HPM program?

@Orchidmph I am not sure about the exact day but it should had been around January 12-15th? Did you apply to Columbia for the MPH-HPM program?

Yes I did! I just finished my interview this week for the MPH-HPM program... Some people have heard back others have not that interviewed this week

But I think the only person who did hear back was an international student so I'm not sure if that had to do with anything the rest of us are just sitting ducks

You should definitely hit up some current student or give the schools a visit. I am not a current student at UCLA but I was there for a 10-week research program in the Health Policy Dept. and although I loved my mentor, did not like the environment that much. I heard that students in the HPM programs are chill though.

Hi All,

Have been combing over threads for days. Finally got the courage to sign up. ANYONE with insight or intel on UCLA and/or Berkeley's MPH/MBA programs please share your thoughts!!

After 3 years of post-undergrad soul searching and work experience I've come to a strong conclusion that I want to take my career toward Pharma/Biotech/Healthcare Management and quite possibly consulting. My dream school is Berkeley. While UCLA is just as wonderful and reputable I really want to head to the Bay Area because I love it out there and from what ive been able to determine, Berkeley is a perfectly tailored fit for me and my pursuits. Here are just a few reasons why:

Employment profile closely matches my aspirations

STRONG ties to consulting

Bay Area = Mecca for Tech

Average age of pupil is late 20s with about 5yrs Experience (As I will be)

Personal: Love the luscious landscape of NorCal and the 49ers!! On a deeper note, Ive been writing thesis papers on the U.S. Healthcare System and passion for Genetics since high school.

I plan on staying in California (Dont want to pay ridiculous out of state fees when great schools are here in CA). Again, UCLA is still highly regarded but from my impression it does not have as strong a Biotech/Pharma/Consulting arena as Berkeley. I could be wrong.

In either scenario I plan on completing a concurrent MBA/MPH program. My concern however lies in my performance metrics:

Undergrad: UC Riverside

Major: Sociology and Administrative Studies w/ an Organizations, Management, and Human Resources track

Major GPA: 3.3

Cumulative GPA: 2.9

Graduate Testing: Not yet taken

NOTE: My performance during undergraduate study was impacted. For my first year I was a Bio major and then my brother, whom has been diagnosed with Cerebral palsy and other chronic conditions since birth, went through hardship in terms of health and high risk operations. Father was diagnosed with Hairy Cell Leukemia. Also, my mother was found to have a pituitary adenoma. Further making this a difficult time for me was the fact that I come from a low income family. Transportation to and from school was a weekly hurdle as I had no car. Additionally the myriad of physician visits and dealings with insurance carriers was a job in itself.

Employment/Experiences:

In terms of experience here is where I feel things work in my favor.

For the last 2 years I have been a Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, 1 year of which has been in a Manager role leading a team of 6 spanning from Orange County to Ventura County including Los Angeles.

Have been responsible for the marketing and sales growth of key pharmaceutical products and services to all medical specialties with an added emphasis on the implementation of Toxicology and Pharmacogenomics (Personalized Medicine, Genetics! hence the interest in Biotech).

Since obtaining my BA I have had other roles as a Program Coordinator at a large non-profit Tutoring company which provided supplemental education to LAUSDs youth.

In this same firm I also performed

-Corporate Recruiting

-Community Outreach

-Payroll

I have also in the past:

-Worked as a private tutor for under served communities in Los Angeles

-Volunteered as an Instructional Assistant for Special Education at a local high school

-Held a role of Assistant Student Services Technician (which was a combination of school site liaison and school nurse)

-Participated in an occupational program specializing in Emergency Medical Response

In the future:

I plan on working for LA Care in some sort of IT role (waiting on my networking pals to warm up a recruiting coordinator to the thought of me)

--------------------
Attached is the resume i show employers (highlights my most technical roles and achievements)

I am about 18 months away from the time I wish to be enrolled in my first class.

My main question is what are my odds??

What else should I know?

Any shred of advice is welcome...

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• ResumeSAMPLE.docx
    17.1 KB · Views: 60