UCLA vs Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA or Maryland

• UCLA

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Maryland

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters

HeisenbergDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so both schools are out of state for me as I am a Florida resident, however, I would like to see what everyone has to say about the two schools. Things already obvious to me are that UCLA is in a better city, they conduct great research, and in my opinion they're well rounded to satisfy student life. Maryland although in Baltimore is still great as they are well equipped with some of the new dental technologies, large dental facilities, and from what I've heard they have a large patient pool allowing for all kinds of cases to be seen clinically. It isn't much but that's what I know in a nutshell, I also found a 2009 thread regarding the same thing but felt it was a little dated, so please feel free to provide some enlightenment for this decade especially if you currently attend either school. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Total Cost of Attendance for UCLA is around 75K resident, 85K nonresident
Total Cost of Attendance for Maryland is 70K resident, 100K nonresident

Might be off to some extent as I got those from the 2014 ADEA guide to dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked Maryland alot better than UCLA when I went to visit, I wasn't as impressed by UCLA's dental school.

Considering the large patient pool for Maryland and the fact that both are out of state with similar pricing, I would choose Maryland forsure.

I hear Maryland is better than UCLA clinically
Maryland is also the first dental school in the world! it has an amazing reputation!

I say Maryland

Thanks for all the replies!!! I'm actually at a standstill between the both of them with no major preference to one over the other, hence the thread.

I think you can apply to get in state for Maryland after a year or so (with some effort). Might be something to consider.

I think you can apply to get in state for Maryland after a year or so (with some effort). Might be something to consider.
Okay so both schools are out of state for me as I am a Florida resident, however, I would like to see what everyone has to say about the two schools. Things already obvious to me are that UCLA is in a better city, they conduct great research, and in my opinion they're well rounded to satisfy student life. Maryland although in Baltimore is still great as they are well equipped with some of the new dental technologies, large dental facilities, and from what I've heard they have a large patient pool allowing for all kinds of cases to be seen clinically. It isn't much but that's what I know in a nutshell, I also found a 2009 thread regarding the same thing but felt it was a little dated, so please feel free to provide some enlightenment for this decade especially if you currently attend either school. Thanks in advance.
You can get in state after one year in CA as well.
It comes down to whether you want to specialize. UCLA fit me because it had strong didactics and was great for specializing; it got me where I am today (omfs resident). However, the clinical experience here is not the best and the facilities are very old both of which you seem to value. Based off that I think Maryland would fit you more.

Reactions: 3 users