UConn Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradM.S.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview, at UConn, in January. I am already fretting it. I started prepping by reading up on the University and other Denatal related journals. For those who interviewed at UConn I was wondering if you may shed some light in regards to the interview format. Specifically did they ask really far fetched questions or was their line of questioning more in regards to why dentistry. Also, are the interviews one on one and if so, is their more than one interview scheduled? Thanks in advance for all of the information.

:D

Members don't see this ad.

The interview was two on one. The questions were pretty much why dentistry? Have you interviewed anywhere else?

it was two faculty members and it was kinda intense.. i don't know, it may have just been my interviewers.. but just keep your cool and don't let them catch you off guard, they really read every detail of your application!

Members don't see this ad :)
The best advice I can give to someone who is interviewing anywhere is to read "Oral Health in America: the Surgeon General's Report." Find interesting topics of conversation and grill your interviewer. I did this in an intelligent kinda way and all of my interviewers were impressed.

gradM.S.,

i definitely second dentista's advice. you can find the 200+ paper on the NIDCR website (click on institutes on <a href="http://www.nih.gov)..." target="_blank">www.nih.gov)...</a> many of my interview discussions were based on issues raised on the report. the interview was pretty intense as neeky has said. they definitely want to know why you're interested in uconn in particular... what means you have taken to find out more about their school and program. the morning that you'll be interviewing, dr thibodeau will highlight all the different aspects of the school, so take notes and remember them; it may turn into a question. a lot of my questions were centered around research (since that's my background) and how it pertains to dentistry. nothing really tricky... but they did attempt to place you in an awkward position... just as long as you hold strongly to your stated opinions, you will be fine. and they do read every single line fo your application very very carefully.

good luck gradM.S. and happy interviewing! you'll be great!

reena

Thank you all for the information given. Best of luck to you.

I know a person who was interviewed and accepted by UCONN last year. I know another who was interviewed by UCONN this year. Their reports of that experience match up with others who have added input to this thread. They were both interviewed by two faculty members who did a "good cop - bad cop" routine. One would zero right is on you as if searching for an indication that you might not be the person that you claimed to be on your application. The other would stroke you and boost your ego in regards to the information provided on your application. One would attempt to engage you in a serious policy debate for which there is no established correct answer. The other would bounce over to friendly chatter such as wanting to know if you had enjoyed your short stay in the Hartford area etc. I came to the conclusion that they were checking out a person's honesty, reasoning processes, emotional maturity, and social skills.