UCSD(Pharmacological chemistry) Vs. UCLA(Chemistry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auncia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Recently, i have been accepted to both UCLA as a chemistry major and UCSD as a pharmacological chemistry major. My ultimate goal is to get into pharmacy school and receive a PharmD. i am having a hard time to choose between both of the schools because i feel like they have both pro's and con's that balance each other. For example, if i go to UCSD, i have the major that will finish all of the classes required by the pharmacy schools in california and i get to have an opportunity to bond and ask questions to other students who are already in the pharmacy school there. However, the acceptance rate into UCSD's pharmacy school is very low (also for other pharmacy schools here in California). Therefore, if i do not get into pharmacy school, at least i can have my B.S. as a back up. I dont know what type of jobs i can get with a pharmacological chemistry B.S. though. As For UCLA, i know you can also enter pharmacy school with a general Chemistry B.S. but it might take a bit more time since i have to take extra courses to meet the pre reqs of other pharmacy schools here in California. I do know that if i get a chemistry B.S. and fail to enter pharmacy school, i can still have a decent back up plan because i know what types of jobs and salaries i can have for that major.

any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

go to UCLA

Hey everyone!

Recently, i have been accepted to both UCLA as a chemistry major and UCSD as a pharmacological chemistry major. My ultimate goal is to get into pharmacy school and receive a PharmD. i am having a hard time to choose between both of the schools because i feel like they have both pro's and con's that balance each other. For example, if i go to UCSD, i have the major that will finish all of the classes required by the pharmacy schools in california and i get to have an opportunity to bond and ask questions to other students who are already in the pharmacy school there. However, the acceptance rate into UCSD's pharmacy school is very low (also for other pharmacy schools here in California). Therefore, if i do not get into pharmacy school, at least i can have my B.S. as a back up. I dont know what type of jobs i can get with a pharmacological chemistry B.S. though. As For UCLA, i know you can also enter pharmacy school with a general Chemistry B.S. but it might take a bit more time since i have to take extra courses to meet the pre reqs of other pharmacy schools here in California. I do know that if i get a chemistry B.S. and fail to enter pharmacy school, i can still have a decent back up plan because i know what types of jobs and salaries i can have for that major.

any suggestions?

Hey everyone!

any suggestions?

Just go to the school which you feel most comfortable at. If you go to UCLA, you won't have an issue taking some extra classes to fulfill your pre-reqs. The advantage of "bonding" and asking questions to current skaggs students isn't significant and shouldn't be one of your deciding factors. I'm sure UCLA has a pre-pharm society that brings in current students from different programs to answer questions and offer insight. As for getting a degree in pharm chem and worrying about what you can do with it afterwards...obtaining a job does somewhat depend on your degree...but I think it depends more on the work experience and connections you gain during your undergrad. You don't necessarily have to work in a lab specific to pharm chem.

Both schools are academically challenging and offer great opportunities in the science field. Go where you feel you will succeed. But then again, if you have a good head on your shoulders, you will succeed anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

For example, if i go to UCSD, i have the major that will finish all of the classes required by the pharmacy schools in california and i get to have an opportunity to bond and ask questions to other students who are already in the pharmacy school there.

Not completely true, UCSD does not offer human anatomy, which is required for pharmacy school (not sure if its same in ucla).

If you worked in an academic lab or started internship early in your undergrad years, you should have no problem getting a job when you graduate. This is especially true for UCSD. There are lots of biotech companies in San Diego. In addition, Scripps Research Institute and Salk Institute are two great research campuses next to UCSD, which imo are great for internship or collaboration b/w campuses.

You do get to interact with UCSD pharmacy students and professors. If you ever choose to go to UCSD, check this place out:
http://meded.ucsd.edu/freeclinic/ (great place where med student, pharm student, dental student, computer science student in addition of other professions all work together)

Other than that, I think what ekimed said pretty much sums it all up.
"Both schools are academically challenging and offer great opportunities in the science field. Go where you feel you will succeed. But then again, if you have a good head on your shoulders, you will succeed anywhere. "

Pick the campus you like and the one you think you will succeed at. While UCLA may be more prestigious, if you think you can rock a higher GPA at UCSD, go for it.

What college at UCSD were you accepted to? that may also factor in, depending on which one it is (ie ERC, sixth, marshall, etc...)

I've had friends succeed at both institutions, I've had friends get "lost" at UCLA while I had other friends become distracted at UCSD. All depends on personality as these two schools are pretty far apart in terms of non-academics.

I took summer session at both and enjoyed my time in San Diego more.

Pick the campus you like and the one you think you will succeed at. While UCLA may be more prestigious, if you think you can rock a higher GPA at UCSD, go for it.

What college at UCSD were you accepted to? that may also factor in, depending on which one it is (ie ERC, sixth, marshall, etc...)

I've had friends succeed at both institutions, I've had friends get "lost" at UCLA while I had other friends become distracted at UCSD. All depends on personality as these two schools are pretty far apart in terms of non-academics.

What can I offer you to entice you to change avatars?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I got into the revelle college at san diego

Thank you all for your suggestions. I got into the revelle college at san diego

have you looked at the GE requirements for Revelle? It's been a while, but I recall revelle had the more difficult GE load and unless you were going to take them anyway, people couldn't recommend it.

Granted, once you graduate and the further out you get from UCSD, it really doesn't matter what college you choose.

If money is at all an issue (it is, for most people), go to the one you can best afford. Pharmacy school is expensive. Save the debt accrual for your last 4 years!

If money is at all an issue (it is, for most people), go to the one you can best afford. Pharmacy school is expensive. Save the debt accrual for your last 4 years!

Fees are about identical at both campuses (UC systemwide fee is standard + a few variations with each campus for additional fees)... about $13k/yr (which, i might add, is DOUBLE what i paid when i went to undergrad).

Cost of living will be higher in Westwood in general. Individual room costs were comparable, but apartments in La Jolla were MUCH nicer per $$ vs. Westwood. Living off-campus at UCSD is much easier than Westwood. If you go outside of the immediate walking distance area you'll have to deal with the 405/Sunset/Wilshire traffic clusterfracas. Living off-campus in La Jolla = easy, living off-campus in Mira Mesa is cheaper and a doable drive if you can schedule classes for late morning.

Having a car is next to impossible at UCLA unless you meet the qualifications for a parking permit. If you're looking to work, this could factor in...but having a job while being at UCLA could be detrimental to your GPA depending on your major. Having a job will bump you up on the parking permit list if you live on-campus.

UCLA is more cohesive as a campus, SD isn't really a commuter school but it does empty out comparatively speaking.

UCLA had better dorm food, but SD caught up big time (i ate at Ventanas at ERC a lot when it was first built, was impressed)

have you looked at the GE requirements for Revelle? It's been a while, but I recall revelle had the more difficult GE load and unless you were going to take them anyway, people couldn't recommend it.

Granted, once you graduate and the further out you get from UCSD, it really doesn't matter what college you choose.

I heard pharmacy schools look more at your GPA and not which school you got your B.S. from. If this is the case, maybe i should choose UCLA instead of UCSD. If Revelle is really heavy on the GE side, it might hurt my academic performance. But then again, LA is rigorous in their courses too.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, money isn't the issue for me since ill be paying almost the same for either school after i receive my grants and financial aid.

I heard pharmacy schools look more at your GPA and not which school you got your B.S. from. If this is the case, maybe i should choose UCLA instead of UCSD. If Revelle is really heavy on the GE side, it might hurt my academic performance. But then again, LA is rigorous in their courses too.

Despite our internal battles of superiority within the UC system, UCLA and UCSD will provide about an equal amount of "halo effect" on your application to pharmacy school. You are correct, a higher GPA will be looked upon more favorably.

I know at UCLA it's major-dependent. The average GPA for MIMG is something like ~2.9.

Keep in mind when you apply to pharmacy school, two GPA's are reported, your cumulative GPA and your science GPA.

EDIT:

I just reread your original post, ignore my speech on major. So, chemistry vs. pharmacological chemistry...how different are the programs? They may be "equivalent" if you choose to go into another career field or seek employment after graduation.

Also, since it's already May and your decision is still outstanding, are you a transfer student?

I have stayed at UCLA for 3 months before, it has really nice dorm room. Revelle is like the oldest college with the oldest dorm, and I do hear some complaints about its GE. It also have more pre-med than other colleges (imo).

Don't get a parking permit unless you have to. The parking at UCSD is non-existent. Though after 7, 8 pm, the parking lot clears up. With the school and the city bus, you can get to almost anywhere in San Diego.

About the pharmacological chemistry vs other chemistry majors, I believe they are only different in 3~4 upper division courses. I had human biology and pharmacological chemistry majors with about 7 ~ 8 overlapping courses, so you still got time to decide. Within the first two years, it is easy to switch majors (unless you pick the bioengineering major)

As confettiflyer mentioned, both universities are great. UCLA looks more appealing to me now (maybe because I spend too much time at UCSD) =P

EDIT: there are some changes to the curriculum after I graduated, this should help you out http://ucsd.edu/catalog/index.html

Last edited:
I have stayed at UCLA for 3 months before, it has really nice dorm room.

How are they now? I remember when De Neve was built and it was like straight up luxury hotel status. Ten years ago it was $10k/yr to share a room, wonder how much it costs now.

I still remember Hedrick and Sproul pre-renovation and those dorms were disgusting. I visited once a few years later and they really spruced them up.

I miss Puzzles pizza at 2am :( I'm torn between that and the breakfast burritos at Ventanas in ERC/UCSD as my all-time favorite dorm food.

Despite our internal battles of superiority within the UC system, UCLA and UCSD will provide about an equal amount of "halo effect" on your application to pharmacy school. You are correct, a higher GPA will be looked upon more favorably.

I know at UCLA it's major-dependent. The average GPA for MIMG is something like ~2.9.

Keep in mind when you apply to pharmacy school, two GPA's are reported, your cumulative GPA and your science GPA.

EDIT:

I just reread your original post, ignore my speech on major. So, chemistry vs. pharmacological chemistry...how different are the programs? They may be "equivalent" if you choose to go into another career field or seek employment after graduation.

Also, since it's already May and your decision is still outstanding, are you a transfer student?

Yes i am a transfer student! i am finally leaving after staying at a city college for 3 years. I am super excited. And i'm not quite too sure how different pharmacological chemistry and chemistry are. I do know that they have a lot of classes that overlap eachother and you have to take an extra chem class or two for the pharmacological chemistry major to get approved by the ACS. I was researching about what you can do with the Pharm Chem B.S., but so far i cant find anything other than pharmaceutical sales representative. I rather not do that though because it feels like i would be going door to door selling knives. Anyways, you guys are so helpful with insight on both of the colleges! i feel like its my priority now to go to the school that i can attain a higher GPA in.

I have stayed at UCLA for 3 months before, it has really nice dorm room. Revelle is like the oldest college with the oldest dorm, and I do hear some complaints about its GE. It also have more pre-med than other colleges (imo).

Don't get a parking permit unless you have to. The parking at UCSD is non-existent. Though after 7, 8 pm, the parking lot clears up. With the school and the city bus, you can get to almost anywhere in San Diego.

About the pharmacological chemistry vs other chemistry majors, I believe they are only different in 3~4 upper division courses. I had human biology and pharmacological chemistry majors with about 7 ~ 8 overlapping courses, so you still got time to decide. Within the first two years, it is easy to switch majors (unless you pick the bioengineering major)

As confettiflyer mentioned, both universities are great. UCLA looks more appealing to me now (maybe because I spend too much time at UCSD) =P

EDIT: there are some changes to the curriculum after I graduated, this should help you out http://ucsd.edu/catalog/index.html

ahh i see! so you double majored?! if so, was it hard? Also, did you have enough free time with your major to do extracurricular activities such as volunteering at a pharmacy or maybe even work as a pharm tech?

How are they now? I remember when De Neve was built and it was like straight up luxury hotel status. Ten years ago it was $10k/yr to share a room, wonder how much it costs now.

I still remember Hedrick and Sproul pre-renovation and those dorms were disgusting. I visited once a few years later and they really spruced them up.

I miss Puzzles pizza at 2am :( I'm torn between that and the breakfast burritos at Ventanas in ERC/UCSD as my all-time favorite dorm food.

It was about 6 years ago when I lived at UCLA for 3 months. I just remember it was like living in a luxury hotel (like you mentioned)

Oh the breakfast burrito at ERC brings back memories. With ocean view, and good breakfast burrito.. Warren college used to have the great burrito when I was working there (I make the best burrito), but it had canyon view instead of ocean view lol. Ya ERC has the best campus. I used to work out in that huge rimac ERC gym (like 4 floors), walk to oceanview for breakfast burrito, then jog back to warren college.

ahh i see! so you double majored?! if so, was it hard? Also, did you have enough free time with your major to do extracurricular activities such as volunteering at a pharmacy or maybe even work as a pharm tech?

I was frantically trying to figure out what I want to do, so I end up taking double majors and double minors. It might sound crazy, but it wasnt that bad. For my double majors, I had 10 overlapped courses (Bio and chem both have gen. chem, bio, ochem, biochem overlapped). For my double minors, I took advantage of the warren college GE, which gives me two minors if I take extra courses. Since I also part time throughout my college years, I took classes every summer as well.

Since I worked in a laboratory, I was able to participate in research projects. With my boss' connection, I also got to work in other laboratory as well. For pharmacy related experience, I spend 4 hours every week volunteering at the free clinic (the website I posted above). I did joined about 3~4 clubs, but I quit after 3 months because I didnt have the time to study.