UCSD Post Bac Program 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamanthaD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I graduated from the UCSD Post Baccalaureate program in June of 2014. I wanted to start a new thread in hopes of answering any questions you might have about the program in general or about applying to the program since there doesn't seem to be much new information out there. I am happy to share my experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Samantha,

I'm applying for the current cycle and I was wondering what your overall impression of the program is after having completed it? Any input on how the program was perceived by medical admission committees? Did you or other classmates find success and gain admission to medical school after successfully completing the UCSD Post Bac program? Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the time and commitment for those who are persistent and driven towards a career in medicine? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Samantha,

I'm applying for the current cycle and I was wondering what your overall impression of the program is after having completed it? Any input on how the program was perceived by medical admission committees? Did you or other classmates find success and gain admission to medical school after successfully completing the UCSD Post Bac program? Basically I'm wondering if it's worth the time and commitment for those who are persistent and driven towards a career in medicine? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
I absolutely loved the Post Bac program! First, I really enjoyed how they provided me with so much support. They were always looking for feedback and were open to any suggestions we had to make the program better. They really wanted to make sure the program was exactly what we wanted so they were willing to add on extra things like interview prep, additional MCAT prep, more workshops, etc. If you needed a tutor, they provided you with that as well. In addition, having a faculty adviser that has had admissions committee experience was one of the best parts. My adviser helped me throughout the application process with picking schools, writing my personal statement, applications, and even interviewing after I graduated from the program. He was a great source of support and guidance throughout the application process. Lastly, as a post bac student, you take a series of classes that are meant just for the program and are designed based on what is taught at the medical school. It is taught by one of the best teachers I've ever had and I know every single one of my classmates would say the same. You learn about different diseases, the physiology behind them, their mechanisms of action, symptoms and treatments. I really made me feel like I was in medical school learning the things that really interest me.

I think that the program is perceived by medical school admissions committees well! If you do well in the program, it shows them that you can handle a rigorous course load and that you will succeed in medical school. The program was designed by the administration and the advisers with this goal in mind. They have admissions committee experience so they picked the classes based on what they would like to see an applicant do well in.

I know that personally, I have found success after the program with multiple interviews and multiple acceptances! We are still in the middle of the interviewing season, but I know that several other classmates have gotten interviews and acceptances too.

I really think that it was worth the time and commitment. You have to be willing to dedicate yourself fully to the program and to work hard. But in the end, it will show admissions committees that you can work hard and succeed!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Samantha,

I also am applying this cycle and was wondering what your experience was during the application process, such as how long did it take for an interview and hearing back after the interview. Also, I only have one letter of recc and asked if I can still turn in my application that way and was told yes but Im wondering what your opinion is on the chances of getting an interview since I only have one letter of rec. I do have a lot of volunteer experience though. Also were you able to get financial aid for the program?

Thanks!

Hi Samantha,

I also am applying this cycle and was wondering what your experience was during the application process, such as how long did it take for an interview and hearing back after the interview. Also, I only have one letter of recc and asked if I can still turn in my application that way and was told yes but Im wondering what your opinion is on the chances of getting an interview since I only have one letter of rec. I do have a lot of volunteer experience though. Also were you able to get financial aid for the program?

Thanks!
Just wanted to say that I applied last year without any letters of recommendation and I was accepted. Also there is no financial aid for the program except for private loans. Hope this helps.

Hi Samantha,

Thanks!
I heard back about an interview in about a month and a half I believe. Then I interviewed and had a decision less than a month later. The program will usually post online or let you know via email when you can expect to hear about an interview and about admissions. I'm not really sure about the turn around for other programs but I do know that this program uses faculty from the medical school to review applications and conduct the interviews...so be patient!

I would definitely still turn in your application! The program is looking for a variety of different things when they review the applications so having more than one letter might be helpful, but it sounds like you have other great accomplishments to add as well. They really do look at the application as a whole and I don't think they will hold it against you if you only have one letter.

I wasn't able to get federal financial aid for the program, but I was able to get private student loans. Since it's not considered a "degree seeking program", they aren't eligible at this time for federal aid. However, I know that is something that is being worked on every day and they are trying to find a way to be able to offer students federal aid. With that said, the program does offer more scholarships/grants that it was able to in the past. I was a member of the first cohort so only a select few people were offered these scholarships, but as they have collected more donations, more money has become available to offer to students! Finding a way to make the program more affordable for students is something they are working on very hard.

Hi Samantha, I was wondering how big the class size is for the post bacc?

Hi Samantha, I was wondering how big the class size is for the post bacc?
They aim to make each cohort around 30 students. During my year, there were 28 students and this year there are 22 students. I think this year there was more difficulty getting student loans so that is why the number was lower. But with the increase in grants available for students, the program is hoping that will not be a problem! It's nice to have such a small group of people because you really get to know each other and you form a small community!

Hi Samantha, How much can you get max for private loans? and what is the total cost of the program? I know it says on the website but that is always an estimate.

Hi Samantha, How much can you get max for private loans? and what is the total cost of the program? I know it says on the website but that is always an estimate.
I do not know how much a student loan company will allow you to take out. Usually, they consider the cost of tuition and the cost of living, which the financial aid department usually calculates, and allow up to that amount to be taken out. However, it also depends on your credit, if you have a cosigner, etc.

The total cost of the program is $30,000 which covers all four quarters. It is split up into 4 installments that you pay before each quarter.

Hi Samantha, Thank you for your answers. Were you also part of research? I plan to get into research as a post bacc student. Is it time consuming to be enrolled in classes also as well as being a part of research?

Hi Samantha, Thank you for your answers. Were you also part of research? I plan to get into research as a post bacc student. Is it time consuming to be enrolled in classes also as well as being a part of research?
I did not do any outside activities while I was in the program. I really wanted to focus completely on school since that was what portion of my application needed the most attention and that's really the goal of the program. You would take a full class load and at the same time studying for the MCAT. That doesn't leave much time for other activities! Each person in the program was different though. I'm not sure anyone did research but I do know some classmates did volunteering. For me, the program was about enhancing my grades/GPA and doing well on the MCAT. It all depends on what you are looking to get from the experience.

Hi Samantha, I really do appreciate you answering all my questions. I was wondering what advice would you give to someone who cannot get into a post bacc? i feel as year pass by post baccs are getting more and more competitive since they limit only 20-30 student from having over 1000 applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Samantha, I really do appreciate you answering all my questions. I was wondering what advice would you give to someone who cannot get into a post bacc? i feel as year pass by post baccs are getting more and more competitive since they limit only 20-30 student from having over 1000 applicants.
That is a really tough question. If it were me, I would just keep trying to get into a post bac program or maybe a masters program. I would apply broad and to many different programs since they all vary in their size and what they are looking for. Maybe check with your career center to see if there is a premedical advisor that might be able to help or an admissions committee member that might be able to offer some advice.

if the website says Interviews are by invitation only and will take place between February 15, 2015 and March 15, 2015. would you expect an earlier invitation before that date? lol. I'm so like anxious right now.

Hi,

Has anyone received an update or interview invite? I know it says that you should know if you will be interviewed by the 15th but Im wondering how hard of a deadline that is... my application online still says ready to review. Im dying to get into this program so I kind of don't want to apply to any other post back but at the same time Im nervous I wont get in =/

Hi,

Has anyone received an update or interview invite? I know it says that you should know if you will be interviewed by the 15th but Im wondering how hard of a deadline that is... my application online still says ready to review. Im dying to get into this program so I kind of don't want to apply to any other post back but at the same time Im nervous I wont get in =/

hey jfelix,
im in the same boat as you are. cross fingers to the both of us! it says my application is under review as well lol.

Hi,

I don't know that they have released any interview invites yet! It does take the staff a few weeks to match all the applications with their letters of recommendation and to verify transcripts before they are reviewed by the admissions committee. I wouldn't worry at this point! I know it's hard and a stressful time.

Haven't heard anything yet, will be sure to post if/when i do

hey jfelix,
im in the same boat as you are. cross fingers to the both of us! it says my application is under review as well lol.

Ok, nice to know we're all on the same boat lol

I don't know that they have released any interview invites yet! It does take the staff a few weeks to match all the applications with their letters of recommendation and to verify transcripts before they are reviewed by the admissions committee. I wouldn't worry at this point! I know it's hard and a stressful time.
SamanthaD thanks for your reassurance!

has anyone heard back from ucsd?

Nope =/ my status online hasn't changed either

You must enter all courses you took at each school. You must enter the hours and grades for all courses that you have taken, including courses that you later repeated (the grades for these courses will be included in your GPA calculation on the AMCAS). Do not enter courses for which you received zero (0) credit hours unless you withdrew from that course. Click on a school name to view / add course work.

The prompt for entering all my coursework for the UC Postbac program application. Are the credit hours they're referring to EARNED credit hours or QUALITY credit hours?

I am still waiting to hear back from the program as well

now my application status says "Program Qualification Review"

Hey guys, i got an email saying they are hoping to give out interview invites within the next two weeks!

Are you guys also applying to other post baccs as well?

Fellow applicant here...sorry for joining the party late!

ooh. yeah same here. this is my second time around applying for post bacc programs. its so hard to get into... since they limit small amount of students

My application is under review by the committee. Just got an email today, fingers croxxed!!:luck:

Anyone hear back yet? My status reads "Application Evaluation" and has for over a week. I was thinking we would hear something this week...

Anyone hear back yet? My status reads "Application Evaluation" and has for over a week. I was thinking we would hear something this week...

Nope, mine still says "Academic Review" and has for a while too. I remember reading that last year people heard back about interviews around mid-March so I'm not really expecting anything for about another week or so at least.

Mine also says under academic review since the 21st, I know they looked at my transcript a couple days ago but I still haven't heard anything from them yet

Mine say academic review since the Jan . 6th 2015 :(

Any updates on interviews for anyone?

Hi joining the party late. I just got an email this morning that I've been granted an interview!

Honestly I never thought I would have gotten the opportunity to interview. So I never really thought about it. So now the pressure is on.

oh wow, i still haven't heard anything back. congrats @phaneepack . tell me how it goes =]

Got the interview invitation email today around noon! Good luck everyone!!

Edit: By the way, my application status on the portal says my application is still under review.

Last edited:
Got the interview invitation email today around noon! Good luck everyone!!

Edit: By the way, my application status on the portal says my application is still under review.
awesome! congrats! any ideas on how you will prepare for the interview?