UCSD Post Bac Program 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the interview invitation this morning as well. Good luck everyone! Very nerve wrecking, but we got this! :)

Members don't see this ad.

awesome! congrats! any ideas on how you will prepare for the interview?

Thanks!

I will probably review what I spoke about in my Personal Statement and elaborate more on what I wrote.
Might scroll through some of the old threads to see what I can find too haha

I got an interview too. Just saw all these messages so a bit of a delayed response, but I read on last year's thread that it was a very relaxed interview if that helps ease the nerves. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so. Anyone else have it this week?

Last edited:
Hi! I graduated from the UCSD Post Baccalaureate program in June of 2014. I wanted to start a new thread in hopes of answering any questions you might have about the program in general or about applying to the program since there doesn't seem to be much new information out there. I am happy to share my experiences!
Hi Samantha, do you have any tips for the interview? I have mine this week and I am wondering how the questions will go. thank you for your time!

Yup this Friday with Dr. Kelly. Which, after reading last year's thread, makes me nervous...
don't worry. just be confident and relaxed. elaborate and give examples to your experiences as much as you can.
the way I think about the potential questions they will ask....is to explain what the particular experience was, how it was significant, and how it influenced/motivated me to study medicine/become a doctor.

i think it is really good to show your passion and commitment for medicine and for wanting to be part of the UCSD program.

good luck!

don't worry. just be confident and relaxed. elaborate and give examples to your experiences as much as you can.
the way I think about the potential questions they will ask....is to explain what the particular experience was, how it was significant, and how it influenced/motivated me to study medicine/become a doctor.

i think it is really good to show your passion and commitment for medicine and for wanting to be part of the UCSD program.

good luck!

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep those in mind. Good luck to you too!

I had my interview yesterday and it was about 30 minutes long.
They said they were interviewing 90 people for the 30 positions available and that they would let people know of acceptances in mid-April.
Good luck everyone!

They said they were interviewing 90 people for the 30 positions available and that they would let people know of acceptances in mid-April.
Good luck everyone!
I hope everything went well! I was wondering if you are able to give any tips for the interview. Did they ask you questions from what you said in your previous thread? Thank you.

Good luck everyone!
Thanks for the update! I hope it went well.

I hope everything went well! I was wondering if you are able to give any tips for the interview. Did they ask you questions from what you said in your previous thread? Thank you.

Thank you!

my interviewer asked me some of these questions. I answered the best way I could, and shared what I thought was important about to share about me.

My interviewer asked the following:
- tell me about yourself
- what is your biggest strength/weakness?
- why the UCSD post-bac program over others?

other interviewers may have different styles. but I think the ones listed about could help set the foundation.

:)

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone else hasn't heard back from the admissions committee at all? I tried e-mailing the program director about a week ago and got no response. I'm thinking I probably didn't make the cut for interviews at this point, but I still haven't heard anything so I'm holding on to the small amount of hope I still have left..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

my interviewer asked me some of these questions. I answered the best way I could, and shared what I thought was important about to share about me.

My interviewer asked the following:
- tell me about yourself
- what is your biggest strength/weakness?
- why the UCSD post-bac program over others?

other interviewers may have different styles. but I think the ones listed about could help set the foundation.

:)

This was very kind of you. Thank you!!

90 for 30? I feel like medical school acceptance rates at the interview stage are higher...

I just had my interview yesterday and I think @jessbky pretty much covered the important questions. The interview was about 30-40 minutes long.

My interviewer brought up a lot of things from my resume (can't remember if we had to upload that or if I'm thinking about other programs) and personal statement. I also think she asked questions in a way that was different from other interviews I've had...sorry, it's tough to describe. I'm kinda bummed (and overthinking) since there was one or two things I didn't get a chance to say though since I wasn't posed a question for me to include it. At the end she told me some good news that was quite a relief but I'm obviously still overthinking it.

I was really shocked at how casual the conversation/interview felt. Almost like I was over prepared and that it was more like a conversation I would have catching up with a friend over coffee in a jeans + t-shirt + sandals.

I feel like it's just a conversation to get to know who you are and a bit on your experiences.

Good luck to everyone!!!! :)

Last edited:
This was very kind of you. Thank you!!

90 for 30? I feel like medical school acceptance rates at the interview stage are higher...

I just had my interview yesterday and I think @jessbky pretty much covered the important questions. The interview was about 30-40 minutes long.

My interviewer brought up a lot of things from my resume (can't remember if we had to upload that or if I'm thinking about other programs) and personal statement. I also think she asked questions in a way that was different from other interviews I've had...sorry, it's tough to describe. I'm kinda bummed (and overthinking) since there was one or two things I didn't get a chance to say though since I wasn't posed a question for me to include it. At the end she told me some good news that was quite a relief but I'm obviously still overthinking it.

I was really shocked at how casual the conversation/interview felt. Almost like I was over prepared and that it was more like a conversation I would have catching up with a friend over coffee in a jeans + t-shirt + sandals.

I feel like it's just a conversation to get to know who you are and a bit on your experiences.

Good luck to everyone!!!! :)

Such great news! I'm really glad to hear that it was very casual. I also have an interview with Dr. Kelly on Monday. I kind of feel nervous when you said she asked questions differently than typical interviews. Thanks for the update. :)

Such great news! I'm really glad to hear that it was very casual. I also have an interview with Dr. Kelly on Monday. I kind of feel nervous when you said she asked questions differently than typical interviews. Thanks for the update. :)
how did your interview go :)

Wondering if anyone else hasn't heard back from the admissions committee at all? I tried e-mailing the program director about a week ago and got no response. I'm thinking I probably didn't make the cut for interviews at this point, but I still haven't heard anything so I'm holding on to the small amount of hope I still have left..
don't worry! and don't lose hope. there are other post-bac programs in California and out of state as well!
good luck :)

I had my interview yesterday, and Dr. Kelly told me that they end interviews April 3rd. So I'm not too sure they're still giving out any interview invitations. Did you apply to the other UC Post-bacs?

I had my interview yesterday, and Dr. Kelly told me that they end interviews April 3rd. So I'm not too sure they're still giving out any interview invitations. Did you apply to the other UC Post-bacs?

Ugh 2 more days of waiting...

Apparently today is notification day of acceptance/rejection!! Anxious anxious! Good luck everyone! :))

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, so I recently just finished up my bachelors (Winter 2015!) and am looking at applying for graduate programs for Fall 2016. I am very interested as working as a physician assistant in the future, and wanted to hear some feedback if this program would be worthwhile for me to apply to. I know that it is aimed towards those pursuing to become physicians (which I'm also keeping open-minded about for applications if I am successful in the program).

I have lots of volunteer/work experience in healthcare ranging from physical therapy aide, EMT training, shadowing a PA, interning for the public health department, and now working part-time as a medical assistant at a family care practice. My grades are low, and I was planning on retaking some of the pre-req classes at my local JC for one semester to make myself a better applicant by showing mastery of the key sciences. I had low grades in the lower division sciences and my GPA improved the last two years while taking upper division biology courses. I have letters of rec, one professor so far, one personal, one from a PA, and possibly another from a PA (once I begin my shadowing which I intend to do 1x week for a year).

When I apply, will it hurt me to say I'm interested in physician assistant studies? Or should I be more general and say medicine, or becoming a healthcare clinician? Does it matter who writes my letters of rec (do I need more letters from professors or clinicians)? What would be a competitive GPA to get into this post bac program? And did any of the previous/current applicants have prior research experience from working in a lab as an undergrad? It doesn't look like they do a research project as part of the program, and I have heard that its important to medical schools to have that type of prior experience. Also, how many units each quarter would we be taking?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Ah ok. Hopefully, very soon this week then :D

called the program and they said they would announce tomorrow :scared::xf::banana:

Hi, so I recently just finished up my bachelors (Winter 2015!) and am looking at applying for graduate programs for Fall 2016. I am very interested as working as a physician assistant in the future, and wanted to hear some feedback if this program would be worthwhile for me to apply to. I know that it is aimed towards those pursuing to become physicians (which I'm also keeping open-minded about for applications if I am successful in the program).

I have lots of volunteer/work experience in healthcare ranging from physical therapy aide, EMT training, shadowing a PA, interning for the public health department, and now working part-time as a medical assistant at a family care practice. My grades are low, and I was planning on retaking some of the pre-req classes at my local JC for one semester to make myself a better applicant by showing mastery of the key sciences. I had low grades in the lower division sciences and my GPA improved the last two years while taking upper division biology courses. I have letters of rec, one professor so far, one personal, one from a PA, and possibly another from a PA (once I begin my shadowing which I intend to do 1x week for a year).

When I apply, will it hurt me to say I'm interested in physician assistant studies? Or should I be more general and say medicine, or becoming a healthcare clinician? Does it matter who writes my letters of rec (do I need more letters from professors or clinicians)? What would be a competitive GPA to get into this post bac program? And did any of the previous/current applicants have prior research experience from working in a lab as an undergrad? It doesn't look like they do a research project as part of the program, and I have heard that its important to medical schools to have that type of prior experience. Also, how many units each quarter would we be taking?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

have you spoken to career/academic advisers yet? they can hopefully provide you with the information you need to all of your questions and concerns.
I know some people have done the pre-med post-bac's and have ended up pursuing a track as a PA or NP. if you are still open minded about pursuing an MD track and have considered costs of program, then it can be helpful for you.
good luck!

Hey everyone, I read up there that they were announcing results today. Did anyone hear back yet?

Just got an email saying I'm on the wait list :(

just got my acceptance email!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in! So excited to go here:D

Reactions: 2 users
I also just got an email saying I'm on the waiting list :/

My best guess: Waitlist for this program means they are waiting to see how many of the accepted applicants commit to the program. A lot of people apply to multiple post-bacs and so some of the accepted applicants may give up their seats which they will give to the waitlisted applicants.

I'm also on the waiting list. Congrats to all of you that got accepted though!

I know that they give some grants to students. Does anyone know if they told those people by email that they were receiving one?

I heard back about an interview in about a month and a half I believe. Then I interviewed and had a decision less than a month later. The program will usually post online or let you know via email when you can expect to hear about an interview and about admissions. I'm not really sure about the turn around for other programs but I do know that this program uses faculty from the medical school to review applications and conduct the interviews...so be patient!

I would definitely still turn in your application! The program is looking for a variety of different things when they review the applications so having more than one letter might be helpful, but it sounds like you have other great accomplishments to add as well. They really do look at the application as a whole and I don't think they will hold it against you if you only have one letter.

I wasn't able to get federal financial aid for the program, but I was able to get private student loans. Since it's not considered a "degree seeking program", they aren't eligible at this time for federal aid. However, I know that is something that is being worked on every day and they are trying to find a way to be able to offer students federal aid. With that said, the program does offer more scholarships/grants that it was able to in the past. I was a member of the first cohort so only a select few people were offered these scholarships, but as they have collected more donations, more money has become available to offer to students! Finding a way to make the program more affordable for students is something they are working on very hard.
Hi Samantha,

I got into UCSD and am hoping to attend there. do you know if post bac students take classes with the general ucsd undergrad students? or are these classes separate?

thank you ,
Jessica

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! My roommate and I are current students in this year's post bac.

We won't be be staying in San Diego for the next year so we want to advertise our place for you guys.

We live in a townhome that is 5 minutes away from the bus stop and right next to Von's in case you don't have a car. It was the perfect place to live during this year. It is a quiet and safe neighborhood with plenty of parking. If you would like to see pictures, we can send them to you through private message.

We have a single available for $575 and a double for $500 per person (or you can have the whole room for $1000)

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions :)

Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! My roommate and I are current students in this year's post bac.

We won't be be staying in San Diego for the next year so we want to advertise our place for you guys.

We live in a townhome that is 5 minutes away from the bus stop and right next to Von's in case you don't have a car. It was the perfect place to live during this year. It is a quiet and safe neighborhood with plenty of parking. If you would like to see pictures, we can send them to you through private message.

We have a single available for $575 and a double for $500 per person (or you can have the whole room for $1000)

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions :)
I would like pics of single room. Thank u!

I also just got an email saying I'm on the waiting list :/

does anyone have any idea what "on the wait list" means ?

I'm also on the waiting list. Congrats to all of you that got accepted though!

40 people were offered acceptances for 30 spots.

There waitlist is currently 20 people long, divided into 4 groups of 5. As spots open up, offers will be sent to everyone in a single group. Other groups will be emailed when spots open up.

The amount of people the accept of the waitlist varies. Last year they took over half of the people on the list, but the year before they barely touched it.

Reactions: 1 users