UCSD Post Bac Program 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to everyone that got accepted! My roommate and I are current students in this year's post bac.

We won't be be staying in San Diego for the next year so we want to advertise our place for you guys.

We live in a townhome that is 5 minutes away from the bus stop and right next to Von's in case you don't have a car. It was the perfect place to live during this year. It is a quiet and safe neighborhood with plenty of parking. If you would like to see pictures, we can send them to you through private message.

We have a single available for $575 and a double for $500 per person (or you can have the whole room for $1000)

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions :)
Is your house near UTC? Would love a picture of the double room if possible! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody looking for a roomate? I am hoping to get a two bedroom apt and split the rent.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone! for those who have been accepted into the UCSD program and will be attending this year's cohort, I have quickly created a Facebook group for us under the name UCSD Premed Program 2015-2016.
Please, feel free to join.
I'm excited to meet all of you!

Last edited:
anyone get a notification that they got a grant/scholarship?

Yes! I am as well.

Would you all still happen to have room in that apartment you're interested in? I'd be down to stay in the single or split the double. Please message me, thanks!

Hi all,

I just opened the UCSD application today for the Class of 2017. I was wondering when you guys submitted your application? Does it make a difference if you submit it this month versus November for example?

Last edited:
Hi! I graduated from the UCSD Post Baccalaureate program in June of 2014. I wanted to start a new thread in hopes of answering any questions you might have about the program in general or about applying to the program since there doesn't seem to be much new information out there. I am happy to share my experiences!

Hi Samantha! I am currently an undergrad at UCSD going into my fourth year as a physic/neuroscience major. I have a cGPA of about 3.0 and sGPA of 3.0. I wanted to know if the postbacc would be a good option for me? Do I have a chance of getting in? I am going to take the MCAT this senior year so I wouldn't need to study for it during the postbacc, would this cause a problem in the program? Do they accept many UCSD students into the postbacc?

thank you!

Hey guys, I'm currently in the UCSD Post Bac, so I can try to answer your questions. So far, we've completed the summer quarter of the program.

Jessicala4, I submitted mine right before the deadline in January. A good rule of thumb with all applications is to submit as early as possible, and although I don't know if it makes a difference with this particular program, it certainly wouldn't hurt to submit early. You could always contact the program liaison, Joel Tolson, and ask him.

Rockoman, the program accepts a wide range of GPAs, but I would say that you should go for it. I know of at least one person in the program with a similar GPA to yours. The majority of the people in the program now applied with previous experience volunteering, research, and/or clinical shadowing that shows a commitment to pursuing a career in medicine, so I'd recommend getting on that if you haven't already. I also already took the MCAT, which just makes the work load for me lighter, especially during summer quarter when the MCAT prep class is administered. A lot of other people have taken the MCAT as well, but weren't happy with their scores, so they're retaking. There are 3 of us not taking the MCAT. I don't believe they accept students from UCSD any more or any less than students from any other schools. We have a few UCSD grads in our class.

does anyone know the specific requirements for the linkage with Western U? The website mentions a recently established linkage with the DO program.

I hope some people are still following this thread. I was notified yesterday that I have an interview with the program for this coming year. On a different note, I was accepted to Midwestern University Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences and am still waiting on Touro's Masters of Medical Health Sciences. I was wondering if anyone can help me compare these options of getting a masters in one of these programs (linked to DO schools) vs. the Postbac. I do not mind DO or MD. Also, how many of the students graduating this program got into med school, and did you guys do a gap year or were you able to start right away? I also do not feel prepared for the MCAT yet and Midwestern would want me to take it in the next couple months, before the program starts. Thank you for your help!

I hope some people are still following this thread. I was notified yesterday that I have an interview with the program for this coming year. On a different note, I was accepted to Midwestern University Masters of Arts in Biomedical Sciences and am still waiting on Touro's Masters of Medical Health Sciences. I was wondering if anyone can help me compare these options of getting a masters in one of these programs (linked to DO schools) vs. the Postbac. I do not mind DO or MD. Also, how many of the students graduating this program got into med school, and did you guys do a gap year or were you able to start right away? I also do not feel prepared for the MCAT yet and Midwestern would want me to take it in the next couple months, before the program starts. Thank you for your help!

congrats on the interview. i'd say it depends on several things: your current stats, how strong of an applicant you honestly think you are as of right now, and whether or not you want to take undergrad classes again at UCSD. The UCSD post bacc guarantees you nothing what so ever. you might get a nice certificate or something, but no direct acceptance in exchange for all your hard work. Idk much about midwestern's program, but if it has linkage with realistic requirements for you (gpa/mcat minimums) then I'd rank that higher. and Touro has a great linkage. it's a great DO program and not a bad option at all.

UCSD will make you take undergrad classes. idk where you went to school but keep in mind the UC schools are huge so you'll have a lot of people in all your classes. But you'll have the personalized support from the post-bacc program. you'll get mcat prep, potentially good networking from the san diego area, and a nice letter of rec if you have above a 3.5. Nevertheless, you'll still have to apply to medical school through the normal cycle, but with a hopefully higher undergrad gpa (correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this program wouldn't count as graduate gpa and just factors into undergrad/postbacc).

That being said, if you are coming from low stats and aren't competitive for medical schools (DO or MD), then I'd say go with a linkage program that is basically a "second chance" to prove yourself. relatively high risk, but high reward.

But if you're already on the fringe of being competitive (you already have a semi-decent GPA, all your EC's, shadowing, work, research, all that stuff in line) then maybe consider the UCSD post bacc because it could open up more doors for you than just midwestern and touro.

I am in a similar situation to you, and this is just my rationale. Wherever you are happiest and feel will accommodate the best environment for you to succeed and eventually enter a medical school is up to you. wish you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the interview. i'd say it depends on several things: your current stats, how strong of an applicant you honestly think you are as of right now, and whether or not you want to take undergrad classes again at UCSD. The UCSD post bacc guarantees you nothing what so ever. you might get a nice certificate or something, but no direct acceptance in exchange for all your hard work. Idk much about midwestern's program, but if it has linkage with realistic requirements for you (gpa/mcat minimums) then I'd rank that higher. and Touro has a great linkage. it's a great DO program and not a bad option at all.

UCSD will make you take undergrad classes. idk where you went to school but keep in mind the UC schools are huge so you'll have a lot of people in all your classes. But you'll have the personalized support from the post-bacc program. you'll get mcat prep, potentially good networking from the san diego area, and a nice letter of rec if you have above a 3.5. Nevertheless, you'll still have to apply to medical school through the normal cycle, but with a hopefully higher undergrad gpa (correct me if i'm wrong but i believe this program wouldn't count as graduate gpa and just factors into undergrad/postbacc).

That being said, if you are coming from low stats and aren't competitive for medical schools (DO or MD), then I'd say go with a linkage program that is basically a "second chance" to prove yourself. relatively high risk, but high reward.

But if you're already on the fringe of being competitive (you already have a semi-decent GPA, all your EC's, shadowing, work, research, all that stuff in line) then maybe consider the UCSD post bacc because it could open up more doors for you than just midwestern and touro.

I am in a similar situation to you, and this is just my rationale. Wherever you are happiest and feel will accommodate the best environment for you to succeed and eventually enter a medical school is up to you. wish you the best.

Thank you very much. I think I am going the masters route but I'm going to play it out.

Are all decisions sent at the same time?

Midwestern accepted, Ucsd tells me the decision beginning of April, and Touro beginning of June

Midwestern accepted, Ucsd tells me the decision beginning of April, and Touro beginning of June
I don't know if that reply was for me, but what I meant to ask was if all interview invites for UCSD are sent at the same time.

I don't know if that reply was for me, but what I meant to ask was if all interview invites for UCSD are sent at the same time.
You replied and quoted me so I assumed you were asking about my decisions. To answer your question, I'm sorry but I am not sure about interview invitations.

When did you submit your application?
The basic one in December and the last of my transcripts and letters of Rec were received about a month ago. I was told late February I would find out about the interview and was just notified this afternoon about it; I bet they'll make more decisions on interviews in the next few days and let you know, otherwise I would call them by the end of February.

The basic one in December and the last of my transcripts and letters of Rec were received about a month ago. I was told late February I would find out about the interview and was just notified this afternoon about it; I bet they'll make more decisions on interviews in the next few days and let you know, otherwise I would call them by the end of February.
Thanks for all the info dude

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone else has gotten an email about the interview. 2/29 I was told that I should be receiving an email from the Post Bac Pre Med director regarding the Admissions Committee's decision in the upcoming days, but that was it so far...

Hi! I graduated from the UCSD Post Baccalaureate program in June of 2014. I wanted to start a new thread in hopes of answering any questions you might have about the program in general or about applying to the program since there doesn't seem to be much new information out there. I am happy to share my experiences!
HI Samantha can you let me know how the schedule was. Was it Monday - Friday all day?

Hello!
I was wondering if anyone else has gotten an email about the interview. 2/29 I was told that I should be receiving an email from the Post Bac Pre Med director regarding the Admissions Committee's decision in the upcoming days, but that was it so far...
Hi! Did they tell you that after the interview ? Or was that online? I was told that we would know after spring break. The guy told me that they will all meet up during spring break and decide

Hi! I am still finishing my BA (junior- double major) and looking to apply to USCD post bac. My cGPA is 3.0 and sGPA 2.91, I am currently abroad so the classes that I take here will go into my GPA and hopefully boost it up. I have pretty good ECs (president of two clubs, volunteer abroad + U.S , 1.5 years of research, shadowing a physician, and work 26 + hrs in the cafeteria). I am planning on taking the MCAT this summer, but I tend not to do too well on these type of exams.

Assuming I do relatively well on the MCAT, how likely it is that I could be accepted into this program?

Last edited:
HI Samantha can you let me know how the schedule was. Was it Monday - Friday all day?
Hey J.Lowry. The schedule changes quarter to quarter. Summer was Monday - Thursday 12-7 if I remember correctly. My fall and winter quarters were five days a week, with a few classes scattered each day. It's very similar to a typical college schedule. This quarter my classes are only three days per week, but with my ECs I'm on campus all day.

Hey J.Lowry. The schedule changes quarter to quarter. Summer was Monday - Thursday 12-7 if I remember correctly. My fall and winter quarters were five days a week, with a few classes scattered each day. It's very similar to a typical college schedule. This quarter my classes are only three days per week, but with my ECs I'm on campus all day.
Thank you so much for the reply!

Does anyone know when we will be hearing back?

hey , did anyone from this cycle get into the linkage program? did you take the MCAt??

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the Post Bac program! First, I really enjoyed how they provided me with so much support. They were always looking for feedback and were open to any suggestions we had to make the program better. They really wanted to make sure the program was exactly what we wanted so they were willing to add on extra things like interview prep, additional MCAT prep, more workshops, etc. If you needed a tutor, they provided you with that as well. In addition, having a faculty adviser that has had admissions committee experience was one of the best parts. My adviser helped me throughout the application process with picking schools, writing my personal statement, applications, and even interviewing after I graduated from the program. He was a great source of support and guidance throughout the application process. Lastly, as a post bac student, you take a series of classes that are meant just for the program and are designed based on what is taught at the medical school. It is taught by one of the best teachers I've ever had and I know every single one of my classmates would say the same. You learn about different diseases, the physiology behind them, their mechanisms of action, symptoms and treatments. I really made me feel like I was in medical school learning the things that really interest me.

I think that the program is perceived by medical school admissions committees well! If you do well in the program, it shows them that you can handle a rigorous course load and that you will succeed in medical school. The program was designed by the administration and the advisers with this goal in mind. They have admissions committee experience so they picked the classes based on what they would like to see an applicant do well in.

I know that personally, I have found success after the program with multiple interviews and multiple acceptances! We are still in the middle of the interviewing season, but I know that several other classmates have gotten interviews and acceptances too.

I really think that it was worth the time and commitment. You have to be willing to dedicate yourself fully to the program and to work hard. But in the end, it will show admissions committees that you can work hard and succeed!

Hi Samantha,

May I ask what school did you and your UCSD post-bac classmates get interviews and acceptance in? I'm asking because I'm debating between post-bac at UPenn for this Fall 2016 or wait to apply for UCSD Post-bac (Iget to stay in socal and close to home).

Thank you

I'm hoping somebody still looks at this thread.

I'm wondering if anyone was put on the waitlist for an interview last year and how that played out?

Thanks in advance! :)