UCSF 2011-2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't know I have interview on the first day. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

good luck!! let us know how it goes! i'll be flying in a week from today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Big good luck to everyone for interviewing saturday! :) Get lot's of rest and hope that we all get in!

so ucsf invited 295 applicants this yr out of 1400 .. that s what Joel said in the welcome session

Anyone having their interview in the morning of 2/4? I'm freaking out. *sigh* I've been freaking out ever since I got the invitation. I really want to go to UCSF... (I guess all of us do. lol...)

Anyone having their interview in the morning of 2/4? I'm freaking out. *sigh* I've been freaking out ever since I got the invitation. I really want to go to UCSF... (I guess all of us do. lol...)

Mine is at noon 2/4. Is Saturday gonna be the second interview day?

Yes! "I really want to go to UCSF" is legit!

i got no question about why ucsf.. so i didnt have a chance to say i really want to go ro ucsf

Members don't see this ad :)
interview was very very conversational. it was the most relaxed one i've been to. a lot less situational questions than i thought. everyone was so nice that if we don't get in, it would leave us puzzled. they're just super nice here! and best interview experience here :)

Can you elaborate on your interview process? :D

Wow~ looks like it's more competitive this year~ How long was the entire process?

Last year the whole interview process was about 4-5 hours. If I remember correctly, that statistic seems about right, I want to say they interviewed about 300 people out of 1500-1600 students.

Last edited:
Last year the whole interview process was about 4-5 hours. If I remember correctly, that statistic seems about right, I want to say they interviewed about 300 people out of 1500-1600 students.

From what I remember, 2 years ago it was 250 out of 1300, last year was around 270ish out of 1400, so it increases every year which makes sense cause they're getting more and more applications each year.

From what I remember, 2 years ago it was 250 out of 1300, last year was around 270ish out of 1400, so it increases every year which makes sense cause they're getting more and more applications each year.

So we have about ~41% chance of getting in! Did it ever occur that they weren't able to get enough students they were satisfied with? (seems unlikely though=p

Per Joel, they usually target around 275-300 for interviews. This year just happened to be about ~295, but it varies from year to year.

Anybody from the UC Berkeley area interviewing tmrw on Feb 2?!? PM me if you wanna bart/muni metro together to ucsf =)

had a great interview experience today! good luck everyone =)

Can anyone give me an idea on what the written portion may cover? I find that my execution on the written portions are poor, despite how much I practice.

Can anyone give me an idea on what the written portion may cover? I find that my execution on the written portions are poor, despite how much I practice.

The written portion is very easy. Questions can range from what are your favorite colors and why? Or what kind of yogurt you like and why. Just make sure you back up your answers with reasonable explanation and have clear/concise sentences. Good Luck!

thread is kinda dead lol..

how was everyone's interview experience from Friday and Saturday?

My interviewers were very friendly. Must have been around 60-70 people last Friday.

Joel said that although they sent out 295 invitation invites, 10 declined the invite. He also mentioned that the first couple of interview dates had many people who sounded rehearsed. so remember to be genuine!

I felt my interview group was very competitive! A lot of them are older (mature perhaps :) with decent work experience either in pharmacy or industry, and everyone seemed very determined and passionate about pharmacy. Most of them also did pretty well on their interview (as they expressed). That's why I feel this year is very competitive!!

Has anyone found out if they are sending out admissions notifications via email or regular mail??
Let's keep each other updated on SDN, so we don't feel alone in this process :)

Yikes. I'm not even waiting for it anymore. lol. Maybe it was because I wanted it too much that I couldn't form coherent sentences. haha... Good luck to everyone!

I'd agree with it being competitive. Everyone did seem very well rounded and had something unique about them. The interviewers were very professional and friendly/welcoming. I am quite eager to get the results in so I can begin planning where to go this Fall. Good luck to everyone!

Yikes. I'm not even waiting for it anymore. lol. Maybe it was because I wanted it too much that I couldn't form coherent sentences. haha... Good luck to everyone!

Don't give up yet! You never know what's gonna happen, especially with UCSF. They have unique ways of evaluating each applicant, and admission is no solely based on the interview result. Everyone is nervous under that kind of circumstance. We are all on the same boat :)

haha i hate this waiting!! march needs to get here!

You can say that again! The anticipation is killing me!!! I legit fell in love with UCSF when I went for my interview.... I just want to know if I got in or not lol

You can say that again! The anticipation is killing me!!! I legit fell in love with UCSF when I went for my interview.... I just want to know if I got in or not lol

Do you know how long after the interview you can expect to receive an acceptance letter? I thought I read somewhere on PharmCAS that UCSF sends them starting on April 1st

the last possible day is april 1st, but i'm pretty sure most people end up hearing before that

Yeah they said the last day they are notifying people is April 1st. From what I remember from orientation they should start sending out acceptances early March (hopefully, if not sooner!) But 285 applications is a pretty big number to go through. Best of luck to everyone!

the last possible day is april 1st, but i'm pretty sure most people end up hearing before that

Yeah they said the last day they are notifying people is April 1st. From what I remember from orientation they should start sending out acceptances early March (hopefully, if not sooner!) But 285 applications is a pretty big number to go through. Best of luck to everyone!

Do you know how long after the interview you can expect to receive an acceptance letter? I thought I read somewhere on PharmCAS that UCSF sends them starting on April 1st

Most people started hearing back late March. My letter was dated March 20-something. It sat in my mailbox for a few days since I was at home during Spring Break. So I heard of my acceptance March 30th I believe. Hopefully they'll send e-mails... it was a nerve wracking break knowing that my decision letter was sitting in a mailbox hundreds of miles away with nothing I could do about it.

The anticipation is killing me! Does anyone know when the last interview day is?

I agree with the previous person, the essay questions are really easy! There are 3 topics to choose from and I guarantee you will find one to easily write about such as your personal preference for something :) you don't need to prepare for it! 45or so (it might be more, but I looked up when the Ipad had said 45 min) minutes for a box on the paper that was maybe half the page or so. Do not write outside the box!

One thing to note is that last year, most people got two letters from UCSF before they got their decision letter (horrible timing, I know). I got a letter from financial aid about a week or two after my interview, and then another letter (I forgot what it was about) about a week before my actual decision.

One thing to note is that last year, most people got two letters from UCSF before they got their decision letter (horrible timing, I know). I got a letter from financial aid about a week or two after my interview, and then another letter (I forgot what it was about) about a week before my actual decision.

What a tease haha. Yeah, I got the financial letter today and it got my parents super excited until I told them it was only financial aid information. :oops:

I heard that the first letter is a thank you letter, and the second is a financial aid letter. It seems that the admissions department has stayed loyal to snail mail, so maybe they'll do the same for acceptance/waitlist/rejection letters. Oh well :p

What a tease haha. Yeah, I got the financial letter today and it got my parents super excited until I told them it was only financial aid information. :oops:

I got one too. I'm assuming they send these out to everyone who interviewed. Does anyone know if they will send the decision letter by mail or email?

i remember at my interview joel said that they were hoping to do it through email, but feared the whole sending them out to the wrong bunch scenario, so essentially he wasn't sure yet (or so it seemed.) but hopefully since interviews were done via email, decision letters also will!